Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 233199 times)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 19 - In a Wound
« Reply #2490 on: July 17, 2018, 05:06:28 pm »

With no answer from Dustan, Gary draws and lights his lantern then steps in between the Hydra and Dustan, swinging the lantern around furiously to make the threat of fire seem larger than it is. If the Hydra ignores the threat and attacks, Gary flings the burning lantern at its face and draws his warhammer.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: July 18, 2018, 09:44:38 am »

Peek out of the stone and see if I can spot the Mysterious Entity in the smoke. If I do then yell out the Mysterious Entities general location so that allies know where it is.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: July 19, 2018, 05:01:13 pm »

Holy cow, -7 damage roll? That's absurdly high!

That is almost the worst possible in the entire game.  -8 is the maximum, and even then only due to rounding.  Note that you can still "flush" the effect by trying an attack (though of course the effort means risk and could fail).

Run to where the others are!

And fight whatever fight may come to you, or stay safe and observe?

Anyway, since I last posted, I've spent a significant amount of time on travel.  I'm posting from all over right now.  I have received your actions and will proceed in spare time.  I still have at least one development left, and then . . . well, I shouldn't say anything in advance.

I'll be back as I can!

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: July 19, 2018, 08:30:59 pm »

Holy cow, -7 damage roll? That's absurdly high!

That is almost the worst possible in the entire game.  -8 is the maximum, and even then only due to rounding.  Note that you can still "flush" the effect by trying an attack (though of course the effort means risk and could fail).

Run to where the others are!

And fight whatever fight may come to you, or stay safe and observe?

Anyway, since I last posted, I've spent a significant amount of time on travel.  I'm posting from all over right now.  I have received your actions and will proceed in spare time.  I still have at least one development left, and then . . . well, I shouldn't say anything in advance.

I'll be back as I can!
Tohil would probably stand confused for a moment and then waste time admiring the strenght of the fire.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: July 21, 2018, 04:23:30 pm »

Previous -- Next

Let's see, let's see . . . peril, peril, new stuff.

Spoiler: Combat round order (click to show/hide)

. . . Dustan, swordperson C, swordperson E, the rock hydra, John, swordperson I, Gary.

Gary offers help, and Dustan decides he's helped plenty enough.  Dustan backs away from the onrushing rock hydra as a cluster of people with swords converges again, with varying degrees of violent success.  John also approaches from the north to deliver a blow with his iron pick, but bringing his amnesiac robe into close proximity causes problems when another swordperson bumps into it; you see him become distracted and distant in the middle of combat!

Then it comes down to Gary, waving a lantern.  Fire has worked before!  But the battered, bleeding rock hydra fails to find your funny light-box menacing enough, and you decide to throw it in the creature's face . . . uh, one of its faces.  Which one?

While you're deciding, the thing gets too close for comfort!  You swing desperately, and the smashing lantern briefly catches your own garments ablaze.  Yet however shocked you may be, the metal and incendiary shock to the rock hydra is plainly more than it could handle in its weakened state.  It collapses!

Rock hydra B has been struck down!

(Sure, why not?  I've removed the lethal lantern from your inventory.)

Spoiler: Observation rolls, duh (click to show/hide)

Tohil arrives to surprise after surprise.  Piles of ugly bug bat birds, some of them charred with flame.  Massive rock hydra remains.  More lost warriors.  And a fire!  Oh my!

Dwain picks up one more water keg and carefully pours a slow trickle up on tiptoe.  The burning roof looks contained now: the fire is flickering out as sodden cavereed gives up clouds of steam.

Smoke dissipates from the middle of this tunnel.  It is now thickest around the operations building, of course, with a retreating cloud down the crevice to the west--a "vent" out of here, perhaps.  You can see a bit better north and south.  There's another entire pit up there!  And a dead body!

The one Salt warrior by the building looks startled, and not just by the sight of the body.  Peering out from ground level, now, Alyssa doesn't see anything but becomes convinced that there are human voices coming from the north.

Once that smoke is gone, it'll be a lot easier to draw maps.  If I'm lucky, the visuals have looked good in the meanwhile.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 04:27:02 pm by Sir Knight »

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: July 22, 2018, 09:22:03 am »

Use the workstone weird blood magic to improve my pickaxe.
Then go to help with the last of the fire at the north.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 05:46:56 am by ziizo »
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: July 22, 2018, 09:29:39 am »

Act to ensure no chance of a flare-up. Once satisfied, investigate North (take a whichever keg I have still in hand/is next with water, but be wary of what might generate corpses, lest it create one with my own appearance).

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: July 22, 2018, 09:48:41 am »

Gary performs a small happy-dance, before plopping down by the Hydra's corpse and taking out the Tiger's paws. He begins to construct his gloves and boots, harvesting materials from the Hydra corpse to complete and enhance the final product.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: July 22, 2018, 11:10:32 am »

stop Gary from ruining the perfectly good corpses. Do so with healknife stabbing if need be. Then, heal myself.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: July 22, 2018, 03:55:21 pm »

Use the workstone weird blood magic to improve my pickaxe.

Though this may sound lame, there are enough weird things going on that you don't know for sure you are no longer under attack.  And this matters from a game design standpoint because it would be iffy if I let people super-power a weapon by taking advantage of lulls in the middle of a fight.  (Yes, the duel where you mastered the bloodbinding was really brief, but just give a GM a chance here.)  I will note that you want this to happen and we can get back to it later.

Act to ensure no chance of a flare-up. Once satisfied, investigate North (take a whichever keg I have still in hand/is next with water, but be wary of what might generate corpses, lest it create one with my own appearance).

You could just push along a wheelbarrow with the things.  That might make more sense.

Gary performs a small happy-dance, before plopping down by the Hydra's corpse and taking out the Tiger's paws. He begins to construct his gloves and boots, harvesting materials from the Hydra corpse to complete and enhance the final product.
stop Gary from ruining the perfectly good corpses. Do so with healknife stabbing if need be. Then, heal myself.

Ohhh, you people don't make the rolls easy.

Now: do you want the "heal myself" roll to go for needle and thread, or do you want to try surgery with the healknife, or do you want to ask Solde if bandages were on the list of materials for this expedition?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: July 22, 2018, 04:43:08 pm »

You could just push along a wheelbarrow with the things.  That might make more sense.

[...] ask Solde if bandages were on the list of materials for this expedition?
If I took a wheelbarrow, wouldn't it also take more than the water? I'll admit I never bothered to check the expedition stock (even when wheeling the darn things) and now imagine all kinds of things (George Washington's wooden teeth, the Headpiece to the Staff Of Ra, Trump's tax returns, the 'thumb' of an iguanadon, a floggle-toggle to a ⅜ths non-metric hummgrummit, a three-legged rocking-chair's velvetine seat cover...) that I might find there if I rummage. But I'm still preoccupied.

Would I wheel the whole wheelbarrow that way? There's still a distracting urgency, especially if I saw the body and it grabbed my attention. I think taking a keg is pushing it, actually. I think I thought the way up there was through the smouldering building, when it appears I can skirt it. Cancel the keg, give any keg I hold to Alyssa and gesture generally at the remaining bit of the fire, as visible, then head up towards the body with aforementioned caution, alongside (I imagine) that NPC, who I'll take a cue from, if necessary.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: July 22, 2018, 05:00:10 pm »

Gather the survivors and make sure there are no more hostiles in this area. Who knows, maybe there are monsters hiding in the smoke or the celling.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: July 22, 2018, 06:57:45 pm »

Let's try a mix of bandages(if available) and healknife.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: July 22, 2018, 07:11:25 pm »

Let's try a mix of bandages(if available) and healknife.

He he he, we'll see what fits into the time--and what fits with Gary (Coolrune206)'s interference.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: July 22, 2018, 08:54:07 pm »

Oi, oi, I can do what I want with my kill.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 173