Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 233278 times)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2017, 10:16:50 pm »

I'm about to call it good for tonight.  I have an update with bandaging, resting, and mining results mostly ready, plus most of a graphic; Dustan, if you've got something you wanna mine, let's rock it.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2017, 01:59:57 pm »

Just mine something that looks useful.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 24, 2017, 02:22:19 pm »

Previous -- Next

(. . . SO dangerous to ask the GM.  Whatever, you're standing closest to the glowy stuff, you mine glowy stuff.)

The violence at least over, the team regroups.

Spoiler: Healing with bandages (click to show/hide)

(Seriously, is Frank blessed or something?  It's like . . . that person who walks blissfully through a battlezone, getting everyone else killed and suffering no real consequences.)

Frank and Dustan each tend to their own wounds, managing to stanch the blood with bandages.  With the area reasonably secure, they should have time to recover.  Remembering "why they're down here," the group sets to mining the interesting minerals so far uncovered, including John on more coal, because presumably that's the only way the group can eat at night.  Time passes . . .

(And you don't have certain superior materials, so I make rolls.)

Frank pulls a scaled turkey carcass out of his backpack (?!) and sets to carving it for meat, while the others get a fire going.  It's . . . ugly.  Plenty of meat goes to waste, and then the coal fire itself gives off noxious vapors, practically negating the whole benefit of "warmth" and "comfort."

Spoiler: Camping overnight (click to show/hide)

Day 3, Afternoon

They sleep uneasily in the enclosed space, with no fresh air to clear away the smell, then finish their mining the next day.  There's decent return, with coal or magenta stuff coming out of the striped rock in equal measure by site.

As before, coal is 3 kg each and "magenta" is 4 kg, and you can see them on the map.  I reduced the inventory of coal and such in the character sheets on the first page from the camping, so you tell me where you want to store your winnings.

Now . . .

Dustan is carrying enough candles to get you through 2/3 of a day and no more.  It takes 1/3 of a day to travel down one of those long passages on the map.  Thus it goes.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 06:33:15 pm by Sir Knight »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2017, 02:26:44 pm »

eff this, I'm getting a move on. Grab whatever I can Carry easily and roll out.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2017, 02:30:51 pm »

Frank puts any spare rocks in the wheelbarrow, prioritizing coal, opal, and magenta over normal rock. He then travels down the western tunnel.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2017, 03:18:32 pm »

John fill his backpack with as many bats as he can and follows the others
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2017, 06:31:12 pm »

Previous -- Next

Facing what seems like the true punishment of their exile, the group loads up whatever they can, with Dustan taking the weird magenta rocks he mined into his backpack and Frank heaping the remainder onto the wheelbarrow.  John fills his pack with the corpses of the strange things he helped fell: it looks like some of the bug bat bird corpses might still have good meat on them.

It is another long slog west along a crevice in the striped rock, off to face the unknown.

Day 3, Evening

What is this?  What is this?!  Well, look at the map below.

You arrive at a well-lit area to see a building built by human hands, the walls sheets of rock and the roof some sort of thatch.  A dozen or so people are sorting goods, cleaning weapons, working at household tasks, cooking over some sort of magenta fire, or just milling around.  It looks like they even have beds prepared of the "plant fiber on the floor" sort, picked from reeds growing by a nearby pool of dripwater.  Upon your arrival some of them perk up and come over to you.

"Welcome to the Halfway House!" shouts the one in the lead, a fellow with a prodigious beard.  "Don't ask how we're always here when the whole of the mines rearranges itself every day; it's just how it goes.  Keep walking whatever way you were before and you'll make it to Rock Bottom eventually.

"While you're here, let's make some trade!  We're always ferrying stuff back and forth from camp to civilization.  Offload what you want, and we give you 80% value from what you'd get if you made it all the way to Rock Bottom."

"Naw wait, they're new." someone interrupts him.  He scowls.

"Well alright.  Since you're NEW," he crosses his eyes, "we trade for 100% value just this once.  But seriously, 80% is good for both of us!  You save space for more stuff on the way up!"

As the man says.  I've got items and answers ready.  Tell me what you want to say or do and we'll get the information (and money) flowing.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 08:52:57 pm by Sir Knight »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2017, 06:54:25 pm »

"ah yes, hello! You wouldn't happen to know what we can do with some of the stuff we mined, would you? Maybe give us a rundown of the value of our goods? Also, do you have a knife or some other sufficiently sharp and clean blade?"

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2017, 07:00:04 pm »

Frank perks up.

"I want a crossbow. I want a crossbow, I want a crossbow, I want a crossbow.

Oh. And bolts. But y'know. Crossbow.
"
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2017, 08:11:25 pm »

"Candles"

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2017, 08:50:21 pm »

Previous -- Next

"Oh yes, glad to help!  So you've got some hematite and some glowstone, and that's just the stuff on the wheelbarrow.  Unload on these tables and we'll go through.

"But speaking of that: look around and you won't see too many wood products other than the wheelbarrows.  These only come from the surface.  There are other problems too, like string, and that's why we can't help you if bows are your ranged weapons of choice: mostly plain metal or leather products for us in the caves.  Knives?  Absolutely.

"Just take a gander here and we'll show you what's what.  Our stock is pretty much limited to what people bring us.  It changes all the time.

"Oh, and we measure value in kilograms of rough opal.  That's because opal's pretty but useless.  If you're smart, you'll stock up on anything with higher value per kilogram and use your opal for small change."

Before I drown you in numbers, it would be awesome if all players and waitlisters could look at this spoiler about how the game is turning out:

Spoiler: What's all this, then? (click to show/hide)

Value and explanation of your goods is as follows.  Ores and hunted animals are sold at the full price.  All your equipment, since it's been used, is listed for sale at half-price.  If you get killed (Lazlowe), the survivors can only sell any armour you used at quarter-price (it's damaged).

The value of everything else on your character sheets is as follows.  See your sheet in the first post for details.  Like he implied, they'll pay a lot for irreplacable surface goods.

Assuming you sell everything you mined, killed, or looted off Lazlowe's corpse, plus compensation to Dustan for lugging those candles around while I waffled on this, minus Frank's spare waterskin ('cause I doubt you're selling something that useful), you will earn:

Dustan (Dustan Hache): 66 opal
Frank (Coolrune206): 83 opal
John (ziizo): 41 opal
And in the wheelbarrow: 140 opal

You can't possibly afford to kit out everyone.  However, if you believe in the power of teamwork, you can come up with a plan to survive.  I'm sure this means there will be a fistfight over the wheelbarrow in ten seconds.

Here's what they have to sell.  As stated, there are some standards that you can always expect to find here, but portions come from random rolls by the GM.

The list gives weirdo materials for some items.  Well, this is what they say the materials are . . .

(That special knife at the end there is a double-reference, if anyone gets it.  There's plenty of references.)

Next, I'll welcome some waitlisters to join as soon as you are done and leave the area.  I'll narrate everyone in!  Probably tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:16:40 am by Sir Knight »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2017, 09:15:41 pm »

"Err, I'm no blacksmith. How would we go about smelting down our hematite? Also, how much would you pay for processed goods compared to the raw corpses and stone we have?"
use my opal and Lucas's now-empty pack to buy a skillet and water keg. Sell the worthless coal, lazlo's blanket and some glowstone to buy an iron knife so I can start processing the animals. Sell off the hide and bone unless one of the others wants to take it.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2017, 09:20:48 pm »

"I want 1 knife (iron), 1 water keg (iron), 1 Splitter Wand and food for One day. That would be 37 opal I am right?"

Keep the coal, abandon the 1 opal in bug bat left
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:06:52 pm by ziizo »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2017, 09:48:11 pm »

Frank makes a deal with one of the merchants for the Glowstone; all of it. Selling it should net him an extra 112 opals, for his own pockets.

Frank is a greedy bitch.

He then sells the rest of the spare items he has on him, for the 83 opal, for a total of 195 opal.

He purchases:
Two ether cola to fill both of his waterskins. (7 x 2 = 14 opal)
One Sling (1 opal)
Five Fire Skulls (4 x 4 = 16 opal)
Knife [Workstone] (75 opal)
Skillet (3 opal)
Total: 109 opal spent, 86 remain.

"If you want to sell any of that glowstone, you'll have to fight me for it. I refuse to give up riches. Sell something else."

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2017, 10:29:59 pm »

(He he he, I'm mostly going to leave you to figure out your own needs.  Let me just say I'm glad these lists aren't too much info to use.  I'll put things into the opening posts for later reference, too.  But some answers:)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:53:58 pm by Sir Knight »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 173