Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caverns: forbid EVERYTHING  (Read 4072 times)

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caverns: forbid EVERYTHING
« on: February 17, 2017, 12:57:14 am »

Here's the problem: Even after turning web collection off, setting [F]orbid other dead and mass-forbidding (d-b-f) the entire caverns dwarves STILL run to store something in stockpile (and right into the FB's clutches).

I've set up FB crusher traps that use chained animals and doors as a lure. However, the moment doors are unlocked, dwarves rush out in the deeps with "Store item" jobs. It makes killing FB without casualties almost impossible. Civ. alert is not an option, since FBs take up to a year to massacre all the cavern wildlife (incl. each-other) and only then notice the opening. Restricted traffic areas do not help at all.

Is there any way to order dwarves to ignore caverns altogether without resigning to burrows/alerts? Or at least, how do I find what items cause the pick-up jobs?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Caverns: forbid EVERYTHING
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 01:39:17 am »

Lock the door and don't look back? That or d-b and forbid everything.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 03:25:23 am »

No.

If you have an FB in the rampage it will generate new kills (and a bazillion of teeth) that dorfs find irresistible to haul away, so even if you forbade everything it's not so a tooth later.
Disabling all refuse hauling should mostly keep them from trying to haul stuff from the cavern, as well as from your fortress.

I use civilian alerts (one for the surface and one for each cavern, but only one active at a time) to keep civilian dorfs out of the caverns when they shouldn't be there, but that results in cancellation spam, so it's used only to evacuate caverns and to keep the civilians from rushing out the moment the cavern is breached.
In addition to that, I build an airlock before breaching the cavern (I immediately plug the initial breach, so I know where to place my airlock). Once the airlock is in place, with cage traps and a door bait inside, I breach the cavern. When an FB shows up I install a menacing spike trap triggered by a mine cart repeater in the airlock and close the inner drawbridge and open the outer one to display the irresistible bait to the FB.

Finding what's causing the hauling requests is a frustrating tedious exercise in divide-and-conquer usage of d-b-f/d-b-c usage, so just d-b-f:ing the whole volume is probably the best method until the cavern has been secured.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 06:52:23 am »

I throw my non-civilian dwarves at it early on.

Particularly ones I want dead for being useless to remedy their stress from the daily struggle of fortress life. Particularly bards lacking skills, because they would otherwise just work on project...... "Endogeny".....by carrying and placing the materials of construction.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 07:01:50 am by Ironfang »
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

slashnul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 01:30:20 pm »

Id probably use only a restricted Refuse stockpile, that has only butchering products enabled.  Bones, fresh raw hides, etc.  You can set the other bits to be dumped automatically.  Corpse stockpiles are for sentient beings like your dwarves or invaders, their teeth, etc.

Set up like this and the dwarves wont seek out body parts from the caverns cause youd have no stockpile advertising free space.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 05:39:03 pm »

Or at least, how do I find what items cause the pick-up jobs?
^^ This is your key question. You can absolutely configure things so that your dwarves will never run into the caverns without resorting to burrows.

Mostly it's a matter of Forbidding Death Items, etc in the standing order options so unforbidden items never appear in the caverns.

When you catch a dwarf running into the cavern, look at what they're doing in the jobs screen. The information for their job should let you itentify the item they're trying to haul. Then you can figure out what you had set wrong in Forbid Items, and use the stocks screen to find and forbid any other crundle teeth you missed.

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 12:33:00 am »

I never have open access to the caverns until I can get a walled off area to carefully avoid having forgotten beasts marching up into the fortress. I usually end up with a gate house in a stone pillar down into the caverns allowing defense of said areas from FB in the lower levels. The path to the surface doesn't come up inside the fort but rather a  defensible hall that has side gates leading into containment rooms where I can lock up a FB for unleashing on elves or goblins later.
*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 01:38:46 am »

Or at least, how do I find what items cause the pick-up jobs?
Mostly it's a matter of Forbidding Death Items, etc in the standing order options so unforbidden items never appear in the caverns.

This deals with most of the problem.

The only problem I have after that is dwarves wanting to *clean* the caverns.  And that I haven't found a good solution to.  (Seriously, no one cares about the old crundle massacre that's 100 tiles from the fortress entrance, stop that).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 02:03:10 am »

Turning off the cleaning labor on all dorfs will stop them from using it, but that has the side effect of blocking the random cleaning events for the places where you actually want them to be performed.
Also, cleaning is usually performed by a dorf who comes by and finishes a job nearby, sees the mess, and decides to take cleaning as their next job, so keeping dorfs away from the messy areas, or remove the cleaning labor from the dorfs who have business there ought to help.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 05:00:36 pm »

I have dwarves wander to areas of the caverns literally no dwarf has been in before.  (Close enough to see it with the reveal, but not actually been in, and that was almost an in-game decade ago!)

McTinius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 01:33:43 pm »

Do you have Auto Collect Webs on? o -W