Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20

Author Topic: Oxygen Not Included: Alpha Release  (Read 47009 times)

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oxygen Not Included: Alpha Release
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2018, 11:03:03 pm »

HVAC units are used to cool down air passing through them, they are further into the tech tree.  You should be able to unlock them and insulated air ducts in a normal game before heat becomes a major issue.  Big thing to do is NOT make to many things that produce heat, like coal generators.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2018, 11:35:51 pm »

Problem with HVACs is that they heat up the area around them.

Your best bet is using Wheezeworts. They're plants you can fairly easily find in the ice biome and that, once uprooted, can be planted in regular pots with no difficult requirements to keep them alive. They cool the air around them, no catch. If you set up a radiant pipe array in a room with some wheezeworts, you can cool down your air supply fairly easily.
Alternatively, you can use a wheezewort setup but instead of just cooling your air supply, you're cooling a gas like Hydrogen which you then pipe through the base/prone-to-heating areas then vent into space or somewhere else.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2018, 08:04:13 am »

for best wheezewort performance set up a loop of free flowing hydrogen gas somewhat like this:

Code: [Select]
TTTTTTT
THHHHHT
THHHHHT
TWWTHHT
TWWTHHT
TPPTHHT
TAAHHHT
THHHHHT
TTTTTTT

T = any tile, preferrably abyssilite
H = free flowing hydrogen
W = wheezeworts (2 high)
P = plant pots
A = airflow tile

the wheezeworts take a packet of gas from their lower tile and deposit it cooler in their upper tile, so this construction creates a clockwise gas flow that looks pretty cool too and has plenty of space to route some radiant pipes through. hydrogen has one of the best heat conductivities and capacities so it's a good choice for a system like this.

EDIT: forgot to mention, this is of course extendable depending on how many wheezeworts you want to use. you could even stack them vertically, might work better or worse, haven't tested that yet.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 02:23:25 pm by EvilTwin »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2018, 07:00:23 am »

That and I like to take every Duplicant I can get.  Apparently that's a bad idea.

That was my problem for a long time - in most survival/RTS/colony games it's almost always better to have more characters than less. Sometimes you don't want seriously rubbish ones, but most of the time they're a net gain so I thought this would be pretty much the same.

This seems to work almost completely the opposite way around. Unless they're really good I just won't bother - I found 4 about the right amount for me until I got everything up and working in a semi-sustainable way.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2018, 07:09:42 am »

Until I'm halfway to farms and have a calorie stockpile I dont even go beyond the first three. I do check the portal when its charged in case the three candidates are terrible to shuffle ASAP
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2018, 03:05:19 pm »

Until I'm halfway to farms and have a calorie stockpile I dont even go beyond the first three. I do check the portal when its charged in case the three candidates are terrible to shuffle ASAP

Yeah, I normally only go for a fourth if they're actually good. I do find it a bit easier though, because you tend to need one person for generating electricity, one for food production, one for researching and one to do all the other stuff .
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2018, 03:36:10 pm »

Dunno. I dont need that much power early on. Later sure, but even then I usually use my tinkerers to kickstart electrolyzer rigs and whatnot. (I think eelctrolyzers/sieves are the point where you can say that your base has grown the beard. Assuming you can get water out of geysers or goo that is
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2018, 04:02:49 am »

I'm still not certain how to make a colony sustainable over the long term. Is there some trick to purifying water from geysers? do some just put out clean water?

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2018, 04:48:20 am »

There are different geysers I guess, if the temperature is high enough you get clean output water no matter what. Sometimes you can just add some heat to make it clean. But it's a dangerous thing.

I tried to purify water through a series of smelters, but usually the pipes break because of the phase change (which is bs). However, I succumb to heat that gradually increases temperature and makes food industry unsustainable. Entropy is bound to increase and kill the colony, especially if you have a geyser, but I read there are some kind of magical entropy killer plants (which I haven't come across yet).
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2018, 05:11:17 am »

I've not had that many problems with heat (except in one particular base that ran for more than 200 cycles... until the last update actually). But people advise to isolate the stsrting biome's perifery to slow down ambient heat.

In the 200 cycles one, by the time heat started to be a problem, I moved most of my electrical devices to adjacent biomes, and installed a row of cold plants to refrigerate my oxygen suppy. That mostly did the trick. You dont need one of those ellaborate hydrogen coolers

Re:water: its actually sieves that turn it from polluted to nonpolluted. Food poisoning bacteria remains, but... that's not a very big problem if you're not feeding the water to the duplicants. In fact diseases are not thst bad. Just make sure immunity stays up. That's my policy for my slime mines. All sheanigans are done behind the chlorinated airlock. If anyone's immunity falls under 80-90, the mines are closed until everyone has recovered.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2018, 05:24:39 am »

Sieves or a high enough temperature. Sieves will consume sand though. I've seen purification methods using space heaters, and it would definitely be really doable if you could use a vacuum chamber, but unfortunately boiling points don't change with pressure in game. It would have allowed for a really low tech purifier.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 05:27:05 am by Radsoc »
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2018, 07:52:45 am »

Sieves consume sand but you're not going to run out anytime soon and it's not like you're using it for something else are you :p? At the very least use them as a backup while you build your drip-boil system.

Btw: as a counterargument to sand wasting: boiling polluted water results in a loss of polluted dirt, which can be turned into dirt

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2018, 09:05:21 am »

Doesn't polluted water generate polluted oxygen? Which can, in turn, be used to make more water?

Also apparently it's now possible to power a base solely on duplicant flatulence, which is something.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2018, 10:43:26 am »

Doesn't polluted water generate polluted oxygen? Which can, in turn, be used to make more water?

Also apparently it's now possible to power a base solely on duplicant flatulence, which is something.

At one point someone did the math on a self sustaining base centered around ugly crier tears.

Duplicants don't follow conservation of mass.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2018, 11:39:49 am »

I think they patched that and polluted water either turns to polluted oxygen in presence of oxygen or turns oxygen into polluted oxygen. So no free ride on that.

Also, afaik you cant turn oxygen into water.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20