Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 35

Author Topic: Wayward Paths - Love and War (Adventure #4)  (Read 29576 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Wayward Paths - Love and War (Adventure #4)
« Reply #360 on: April 07, 2017, 03:38:10 pm »

"Want me to curse him with a lack of fear?"

"Also, I still need some attention for my hand. Ow."
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 07, 2017, 09:23:32 pm »

"I don't have the luxury to sit around building a damn factory. Anyways, know thy enemy. Now, someone has dark tech but they field these jokers? Either they're not very wise, they've been suffering heavy attrition, or they're not too invested in this fight. Now, darktech means that they probably can cross universes along one continuum, since you wouldn't want to harvest dark energy from a brane you plan on using for any other purpose, and when you can expand sideways in time that easily there's not as much incentive to develop space travel. So, the guys who fill the battleground with a nanocloud might be more accustomed to hanging back in orbit. But depending on their method of universe hopping, the darktech guys might've set off a portal storm, which would bode poorly for anyone in orbit."

"Want me to curse him with a lack of fear?"

"Also, I still need some attention for my hand. Ow."

"One moment"

Resalth casts heal wounds upon No's hand. If the wound is not cursed, it will heal completely.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 07, 2017, 10:21:18 pm »

"You literally have a time machine. You do indeed have the luxury and Time to sit around building a factory. Especially when you have multiple present capable of doing such."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 07, 2017, 11:20:06 pm »

"Koi, do the math.  How many times have we not had something crazy happen when we landed yet?"
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 08, 2017, 12:39:42 am »

(Unfortunately, this is still Avi's first outing)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 08, 2017, 11:53:07 am »

(I'm counting that one quick thingy with the alternate versions of the crew as one.  And also she's extrapolating backwards.)
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 08, 2017, 03:00:51 pm »

(Sidequests aren't "canon" unless otherwise noted, since we don't care as much about continuity in them.)

"Honestly, we get held up or captured more often than the ship gets lost. Anyways, I think we could use a rest. Let's take a bit to get our various crap together and maybe refine our plan."

(Choose an action for your character to do for about half an hour or so.)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 08, 2017, 03:46:21 pm »

Avi works on refining her resolution and discretion for magical targeting.
Sigtext

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 08, 2017, 04:52:40 pm »

"Maybe the being held up or captured thing happens Because of the lack of droneswarm. Hmm?"

Koi will be scanning for notable material deposits/interesting signals.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 07:32:04 pm by Kevak »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 11, 2017, 09:31:31 pm »

No makes essences... and teaches any other mage who wants to learn how to do so. Normally, it takes longer to learn, but surely, experienced mages might learn faster, right? Also, he takes a look at the now healed hand. Surely it couldn't have been that easy.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 11, 2017, 10:46:44 pm »

Avi may watch what No does.
Sigtext

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 11, 2017, 01:00:16 pm »

Avi works on refining her resolution and discretion for magical targeting.

You think you might be able to focus on and affect such a small scale, but it would take a lot of concentration: so many small things to manage in your mind at once. You'd probably need someone covering you and some way of drowning out distractions. Though you're not sure that was the issue with the nanite infection, as given what you know now they may have confused your targeting by affecting your mind and body.

"Maybe the being held up or captured thing happens Because of the lack of droneswarm. Hmm?"

Koi will be scanning for notable material deposits/interesting signals.

The synthetic tank creature shows some promise. While mostly organic materials (albeit superbly engineered ones), the large weapon on its underside contains a good deal of both rare metals and exotic materials.

With the nanites apparently rendered inactive, you believe this would be a good time to acquire a sample. However, all signs of them disappear as a nauseating wave of spatial disturbances flashes through the area. From what little data you can gather, you'd guess that these things must be horribly over-engineered: evidently they possessed some kind of space warping effect, and when rendered inactive, it fell apart and totally dissolved them. Espada agrees that building such things seems like overkill, but nevertheless seems intrigued by a group that can apparently apply such tech at the nanoscale.

The two of you don't detect any comm signals at the moment, though being surrounded by dense rocks probably doesn't help. Though it does seem unlikely that anyone has a platform in orbit, or at least not a platform that communicates with EM signals. The residue in the air suggests the presence of all sorts of weapons, from low-end ballistics to high-end DEWs. Along this line of thought, Espada suggests inviting Titus into your sensory network: his armor at the very least seems to have plenty of combat-specced sensory capability. Plus, a third input point would enable triangulation.

The distant objective continues to CHOOOOOM at irregular intervals. Continued analysis still reveals no information encoded in the noise.

No makes essences... and teaches any other mage who wants to learn how to do so. Normally, it takes longer to learn, but surely, experienced mages might learn faster, right? Also, he takes a look at the now healed hand. Surely it couldn't have been that easy.
Avi may watch what No does.
You make a nice pile of essences for yourself. The air of the war zone meshes well with your affinity, and the strife-filled eddies where it meets Resalth's fiery aura are particularly ripe. After he and Avi finish their meditative pursuits, they come over to take you up on your offer of a lesson.

Avi seems to have trouble grasping the technique, which perplexes you due to the ease with which you can gather them here. However, she is a beginner. The magic she knows has a very unusual methodology compared to yours, and she has an odd block. It seems that while she has some intuitive ability to magically redirect and transform mundane forces, such as kinetic energy, she can't quite figure out how to tap into magical forces directly. Due to these difficulties, you suspect she has an aid of some kind that helps her to channel power.

Resalth, on the other hand, seems to grasp the theory rather well, but can't quite find a practical use for it yet. Aside from his natural affinity for fire, his magecraft seems largely unintuitive, based instead off of carefully formulated patterns, and mastered through memory, practice, and discipline.

His spell seems to have indeed healed your wound, but the curse is still there: your expertise tells you that the wound will likely spontaneously reoccur later unless the curse is removed.

After everyone finishes whatever they chose to do during the respite, the Traveler gathers them all back on their feet and they set off once more. The terrain continues to be a forest of rocky pillars and boulders for a while, though these grow shorter as they get further and further from the cliffs. It's a rather tense trek, as both signal detection and line of sight are difficult, and danger could be hiding around every corner, but on the other hand there's also plenty of cover for the group to use here. Those of magical inclination notice that strange mote again, somewhat stronger but still too faint. Something ethereal, hints of melancholy, hints of moonlight. Almost like a distant song?

They seem to be nearing the edge of this forest of stone when Titus, taking point, sees something in another clearing ahead. A pack of very bizarre looking creatures, around man sized and standing roughly upright, though it'd be a stretch to call them humanoid. Their features resemble a blend of fungus and crustacean, with numerous clawed limbs and a head covered in waving antennae. Some of them bear some kind of heavy-looking, intricate rod-like device.

They stand in a big hollow beneath one of the stone pillars, laying out objects and devices of unknown function. It looks kind of like they're setting up a campsite.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 11, 2017, 02:23:40 pm »

Disabled Organic Armor Vehicle seems to be potential minor source of materials. Recommending harvesting by local Units. Koi moves over to the tankcrabthing and rips off the gun, materials are useful.

Koi pings Titus's suit. Local Unit Titus, Recommending synchronizing suit sensory suite with Local Unit Koi and Local Unit Espada's integrated sensory suites. Likely increase in tactical capabilities and coordination.

Scan the rod things, as well as the creatures. No reason not to.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 11, 2017, 03:48:53 pm »

Disabled Organic Armor Vehicle seems to be potential minor source of materials. Recommending harvesting by local Units. Koi moves over to the tankcrabthing and rips off the gun, materials are useful.

Those organic elements are quite tough indeed. You wind up having to get help from one of the more destructively oriented members of the group to tear the cannon off. Some might wonder at the possibility of using the thing but after looking it over, the Traveler concludes the gun is irreparable. Espada declines to harvest: their reserves (which have a smaller capacity than yours, being civilian grade) are still topped up from their time in the previous place, and they haven't really had to use any yet. You need them much more than they do.

The Traveler does some harvesting of his own, stuffing several of the synth's organic armor plates into his duffel bag.

Scan the rod things, as well as the creatures. No reason not to.

Spectroscopic results inconclusive. You are unable to determine the composition of either the creatures or their tools. Perhaps they are not made of proper matter, or perhaps they have some sort of interference. From the design you'd guess the rods are for energy projection of some kind, though without more data they could be anything from laser pointers to particle beams. Given their size, you'd guess weapons or heavy-duty tools, but perhaps their bulk could be media or scientific apparatus. Given the situation, you'd lean towards the former.

Upon seeing the creatures, the Traveler looks rather surprised. "Holy crap! I think I know these guys..."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 11, 2017, 04:31:09 pm »

"You do?"
What happened with the energy weapons from the first guys we encountered, anyway?  Avi would like one of those.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 04:34:56 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 35