Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 86

Author Topic: COVEN: Gulled Goldsmiths and Lost Locomotives  (Read 153612 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Re: COVEN: Don shows some backbone
« Reply #1140 on: April 03, 2018, 05:47:16 pm »

Ben will ask where the destination point is, and then go try to steal a physical map which he can analyse for possible routes, and likely ambush points.  Assuming we're carrying whatever-it-is in a van, since that seems to be our standard transportation.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN: Don shows some backbone
« Reply #1141 on: April 06, 2018, 12:53:15 pm »

See what I can requisition from the knights, ask if there's any way we can seal the box shut and avoid contact befond just taping the lid closed. Do not mess with the box.
An elderly, bull-necked quartermaster named Harold offers you any two from grenade packs, heavily reinforced riot shields, net launchers and synthetic fibre/plate body armour.

You can just keep the box shut, if you want to, Harold confirms. The thing inside can speak, but nothing else. He shakes his head warily at the box, as if to say that such creatures have a habit of persuading you that you should release them.

Really missed that feeling. Well, I better go to the building Nanami entered and, while waiting for her to leave the place, pass time talking with the caduceus serpents about even more experimental surgery, like replacing my skin with another man's skin or even brain transplant. If a Caduceus can keep someone alive for a moment without a working spine... Wonder if I could put a dead brain on a living body and "heal" it, replacing the old brain. Like the spine surgery, but in reverse: Keeping the body alive with magic and quickly replacing the brain and healing.
You are welcomed as a Coven associate by a rather horrified monk clad in chainmail, who leads you down polished stone steps and past rows of tombs, massive forges, and stacks of emblazoned shells to a room with Don in it. You talk to the snakes.

Skin transfers are possible. You don't really have skin at the moment... it's more of long pork crackling. You could stretch another person's skin over your own body, though the result might not look quite right. Certainly better than what you have now. The snakes discussion deteriorates into a series of disparaging remarks about your admittedly horrifying experience.

Putting your brain in another living body is a no. You can attach a dead body to your brain though, and use that. Lichs are good at self-modification. But living and dead don't mix. And healing doesn't work on dead.

You couldn't "heal" a dead brain into a living body. Could do that with a live brain though, if you wanted to save the life of a mortally injured ally and noticed a vulnerable human nearby. You'd hardly ever want to perform ultra-radical surgery rather than just heal them though.

Ben will ask where the destination point is, and then go try to steal a physical map which he can analyse for possible routes, and likely ambush points.  Assuming we're carrying whatever-it-is in a van, since that seems to be our standard transportation.
You ask Nanami, who gives you the specifics. I'm just going to give you the coordinates for Google Earth.

51.5114523,-0.0873045 Pickup point

51.5048637,-0.0955049 Dropoff organisation. Which, by the by, nobody has contacted.

Stealing a map proves rather easy. All the streets around Vince's place are deserted. Police officers, military men, and people in biohazard suits mill about, but seem to regard you as one of their own, greeting and saluting you as a member of a separate but affiliated group. When you mention this to Vince, he just says that you have him to thank, not that you'd know or have much gratitude.

So you're with the government in some capacity after all... or pretending to be. Bah. You'll take the "dagger" bit of cloak-and-dagger ops any day.

You note down some terrain features. Main points:

It's very urban, major civilian presence, little open terrain.
You have to cross a river... three bridges immediately present themselves. The logical threat would come from here.

"Alright guys, we need to talk to the other group, and start scouting the route.  You think you can keep on target to start working on that for a bit?  I'm going to raise some quick funds and work on gear.  That okay with you?"

Though it's almost beneath me, I should be able to do some false change tricks with illusions to raise about a hundred or so pounds for the cameraman.  Raise the money, pay the cameraman, and hit the rooftops to film the new video, featuring the new spells but not the most expensive AoE one to limit collateral.  Use some special effects to jazz it up a bit, although the new spells + more puissance should provide enough of a show when compared to the previous video.
You busk for an hour, and manage to get the cameraman's money, though frankly you're cheating. Getting up onto a rooftop is no problem, and the new video is recorded in no time. Just need to put the footage through an extensive editing, compiling and uploading process, and it'll be ready for whatever site you want to put it on.

The maps Horace distributes are presented below. They shimmer and twist as he unfurls them, scrolls of text pinned to the bottom rewriting themselves, apparently updating their information through arcane means.

Spoiler: maps (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: April 06, 2018, 01:10:51 pm »

Ugh, need something directly smashy. Treebranch rock wand, maybe. When I get some clots.

Sneak off, stick that good smell on myself, and go visit that transworld entertainment. I'm heeded by Deep Ones, may as well go show off for my fans, right?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: April 06, 2018, 02:22:27 pm »

"I have an idea. How about we get Ben to be our champion for the bridge?"

First, ask how to contact the receiving group. If possible to do so without walking over, do so.

Get the body armor and the riot shield. Contact Ben about the bridge champion fight and ask if he would rather do that or shoot Nazis. Also ask if the knights have a box that muffles sound- if so, use that and cover the box in duct tape. If not, Don will go shopping for one. Make sure Don talks to the transportation mages if possible.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 12:14:44 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: April 06, 2018, 02:30:19 pm »

"I do not believe he's... Uh, sane enough for that. He might just end aggravating them or causing trouble. Although, he IS a very good fighter. Yes, I think he could be our fighter."

"Are you okay if I carry the box instead? I have extra mobility because of my fast flying mop."

I'd like to see that necromancer church, but it's sadly not in the way we have to go.

Let's avoid those sphinx mating grounds and the London bridge and go through the Warwick bridge. It's the fastest route.

I would like to be the one that carries the box, if no one wants to. I can use my broom to stay in the air and away from anyone that could steal it.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: April 06, 2018, 02:42:10 pm »

"You can carry it, sure. I just want to prep for the trip first, so let's not leave with it yet if possible."
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: April 06, 2018, 03:47:34 pm »

"We could probably bypass that bridge with a boat.  There's a good launching point just west of the Southwark Bridge, and we can then take it south to the river dock.  Or under the southwark bridge to a couple of private piers.  I'm not sure if that's the best idea, though."

"Also, we might be able to get a vehicle to stuff it into, instead of just carrying the box.  Let me see if I can find a good one."

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: April 06, 2018, 04:23:32 pm »

"I don't breathe, so I could just walk through the bottom of the river. Just saying. As long as we don't go anywhere close to the sphinx mating grounds, I'm fine."
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: April 06, 2018, 04:51:29 pm »

"Hmm.. that might work, but the river is basically enclosed with floodwalls except at a few points, and I don't think you can climb from the muddy river bottom up twenty feet of sheer wall, so we'll still need a boat."

"That said, if you could do it, I could arrange for a vehicle on the other side, we then put the box in that vehicle, and go to the destination all sneaky.  We then spend a bunch of time negotiating to cross the bridge, and everyone will be waiting to strike there."

"Nah, there's ways to do that.  Tie a couple life jackets to it, and something heavy as ballast, and it'll pop up once you let the ballast go.  We'll then fish it out from above.  It'll be doable if you want to do it that way."
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 07:17:33 pm by Devastator »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: April 06, 2018, 04:58:24 pm »

"Remember, the river isn't empty. I wouldn't be surprised if something jumped us halfway across. This is a good, I presume some things can sense it."

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: April 06, 2018, 07:22:37 pm »

"If the river is dangerous, we shouldn't even try using a boat. Could we just fly across using our brooms?"

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: April 06, 2018, 10:12:16 pm »

"Maybe?  There isn't much cover in air, though, and they could just shoot guns at us or have flying creatures about.  I think whatever plan we go with should work with our strengths, not enemy weaknesses."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Re: COVEN: Don shows some backbone
« Reply #1152 on: April 07, 2018, 05:52:01 am »

"I do not believe he's... Uh, sane enough for that. He might just end aggravating them or causing trouble. Although, he IS a very good fighter. Yes, I think he could be our fighter."

"Are you okay if I carry the box instead? I have extra mobility because of my fast flying mop."

"Yeah, I'm pretty crazy for fighting without sticking a fancy mop between my legs.  I could never win a cage match against a guy with cleaning supplies--oh, wait, not unless I had a whole collection of dried bones to wave around like a toddler!"

Ben looses a heavy sigh and rubs at his face, clearly exasperated.

"We're going through the fucking nazis, from the East.  Whoever wants this thing, they're going to assume we're crossing the West bridge, it's the obvious choice, and a natural chokepoint.  Worse, this fight's televised, so they'll know exactly when we're coming through.  An ambush from a prepared, organized, and informed foe is just going to get us killed.  The Nazis, they're dangerous, but they have enemies everywhere, and not much information, even if they know about this run the only people who care will be elsewhere, setting up an ambush."

"As for the 'mating grounds', some psychotic cougars are the least of our problems, we don't even need to go through there anyway.  If we take the East bridge, we can get passage across the river from people who have a vested interest in repeat business.  They're powerful, and with a lot of territory in the South, so we won't be ambushed right outside the door, and if they're smart--which they are, since they're powerful--they keep things mum when they're transporting clients.  They're easily the best way across the river.  Boating across is stupid, it's an obvious plan and it's easy to see, and then we're sitting on a ricochet plane without cover.  An armored truck to smash through and past Nazi fortitifications would be a better investment.  I wouldn't mind watching Breathless here try and walk across, except then we gotta go fish the box out of the river."

Ben pauses, then turns to ask Vince a very important question:

"The people who're hunting this thing, they got some way of tracking it, don't they?  How good is it?  We gonna have people coming down on us constantly, or will they only know when it's close?"

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: April 07, 2018, 06:20:51 am »

"Probably.  I can look into stuff to hide it, but I think I'll go with the armoured car if you want to smash through the Nazis."

"TBH, whatever plan you decide to go with, I'll just get gear to help out.  I can look up hiding stuff, or decoy stuff if hiding isn't likely.  I'll probably try for the armoured car first, though, as I think we'll want that whatever the plan."

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: April 07, 2018, 08:54:12 am »

((I thought Ben was back at the house with Vince while Don, Zamenis and Nanami are in the Hygiean Knights base.))
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 86