Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 86

Author Topic: COVEN: Gulled Goldsmiths and Lost Locomotives  (Read 153593 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN: Mission Three - Fresh Blood
« Reply #915 on: November 20, 2017, 03:35:45 pm »

(Wow.)
That was definitely an enlightening experience. Thank the necromancer and ask him how often do I have to eat and if he has anything I could eat. Then feed on a homeless person if I'm hungry and try to find the other witches. Maybe Vince knows where everyone else is.
"Eating? You're dead, man. You want to feed your gut bacteria or something? Your cells are semi-animated now, but they don't need nutrients."

"You should feed on a full human once a day if you're doing strenous activity, and on a human-sized magical being if you're adapting your body or throwing heavy magic about. I don't have anybody for you to feed on, but there are plenty of mortals outside. Where do you think I got all these skeletons from?"

You say your thankyous and leave, clutching the broom/phylactery. You find a thickly bearded homeless man crouched in an alley, smoking something likely illegal, other nightlife giving him a very wide berth. Perfect. You narrow your eyes and prepare to join in the longstanding Coven tradition of preying on the most vulnerable in society.

Aim: 3+2

The man looks up as you approach, just in time to see you hurl the length of wood affixed to a dragon tooth javelin-style through his unprotected chest and into the soft, bloody heart. Euphoria fills you at once as lifeblood trickles fatally past bone, and you feel your magical ability pulse and increase for a few moments as you wrench the weapon from his chest, the dripping organ still impaled on the tip. The mortal having little puissance, the feeling fades, and you are left feeling satiated. Not that you couldn't do it again a few hundred more times.

You wipe the phylactery on the man's beard and leave him there. The police are going to have fun figuring this one out, as uncanny undead might and draconic strength have sheared through rib and cloth alike. The man has injuries like he's been hit with a ballista bolt.

Find other witches? You wander around Coven territory, and come across a woman you fought alongside earlier talking to what looks like a combination of Golum and a beaver.

"I understand now."

"This creature is one part of a whole. That whole was made up of four parts: this creature, the mind-meteorite that you destroyed, a symbiont that fed on what this creature consumed and is presumably the large power source that Vince found, and an intangible entity of some kind that can manipulate minds that kept each of the parts connected with each other."

"I plan to reassemble this creature. Since the mind-meteorite has been destroyed, I suppose that I will have to make do as a substitute for it."

Sir Worthington smiles after that last sentence, then calls everyone and updates them on the situation. What does Vince think about it/my plan?

"Oh, and I wouldn't recommend trying to get beneath this creature's hide- it apparently really, really doesn't like that."

"Also, I think I'm going to need some more mind-rocks at some point. I just used some of them to interact with the mind of this creature, and I'd rather like to study them in order to find out how to replicate the effect with something less... valuable as my focus."

"So, what are you going to do now, speed mage?"

Collect the molten mind-rock slag into a pile so that it will solidify into a new mind-rock.
Vince points out that you'd be using the resource the Coven wants, but sounds mostly unworried.

"Well, I've seen people hunt sky beasts before, but never met anyone who wants to marry one. I think it'd be a great plan if you were Benkazal the Fucking Awful the Necromancer, but you'll probably just end up dead. Always nice to see ambition though."

You manage to flick the slag into a pile. It doesn't seem to have any magical properties. Being melted down will often stop things working.

Head out undisguised, and along the way, try to estimate if my undisguised form would have had any problem with the money manager.

Check in with the river spirit, and apologize for not taking it more seriously and listening to what it was telling me.  Tell it the story, that the rock monster we blew up and the glowing thing underwater are linked, and that there's two other giant creatures out there.  Say that we're going to get the glowy thing out from the canal and shipped away, and ask it what it knows about the glowy thing, such as how big it is and if there are any guardians.  Do ask if it can help us with diving gear, although for safety purposes I'll be getting a set for our own divers.

Your undisguised form would have needed mind-bending space-rocks too, but would probably have been about the same. She wasn't that into you.

The river spirit naturally panicks when you tell it that there are two more terrible sky-monsters that might investigate its canal, but you manage to calm it down after some rather brackish head-petting. It says that the glowy thing is as big as two shopping trolleys at least, but refuses to go any closer alone. It also mentions some "odd people" had been around the canal recently, but refuses to elaborate.

Rivals.

THIS TAKES PRECEDENCE OVER ALL THE ACTIONS BELOW: Do NOT be anywhere near the macroslug while worthington is messing with it. ONLY do these things if I have time while he's not messing with it, otherwise just watch him. From far away. Like, on top of a building.

Before doing the following, fly up and stand on top of the creature.

Make a bullet from the macroslug's skin. Does this make a hole in it's carapace, or just a dent? If it's a hole, how ling would it take to use this method to create a hole large enough to physically climb into?
Try creating fire inside the creature, bypassing the heat-resistant shell. Worth a shot, anyway.
Fly all around the macroslug and look for unarmored openings. If I can get inside, I can just bushwhack through its innards till I reach something vital. It must at least have something to eat with, being a greedy consuming force.
What's around here? Anything super-deadly I could lure it to? Like a hell-pit, or an acid pool or something.
If all else fails take a picture and prepare to write some fanfic about how I can totally pierce this thing with my machete. And ask Vince out strong poisons.

Worthington appears to be contemplating a yet more dramatic method of suicide, so you fly over and gingerly walk along the creature's back. Like being on a gentle hill. With very steep sides.

Bullet makes a hole in the carapace. To get a body-shaped hole? Between six months and three years, you reckon.
Fire does nothing. Doesn't even warm the skin.
There are a couple of promising ridges and furrows. Seem pretty tightly shut, but someone might be able to lever them open somehow. Maybe if it opened what passes for a mouth?
Around here? nearest thing is the powerful magical entity in the park. You fly up and look out over the suburbs. Some great creatures roam, indistinct through magical interference and cloud. Perhaps there are extreme dangers or places the thing could get lost, but it'll take a while (a turn+) of looking.
You take a picture.

I would like to join

Name: Don Joe

Backstory:

Physical Description: Don Joe (not his real name) is a 35 year old former banker. He discovered magic by staying late at the office in night and witnessing one of the human sacrifices at work, and immediately started searching around for further knowledge on the internet from his hidey hole. He played dumb, wasn't sacrificed, and the coven contacted him a few days later. He had mostly forgotten about magic, but something rang a bell, so he listened to their offer and joined up.

Magic Stats:
Ritual Strength - 2
Runic Sight - 1

Physical Stats:
Aim - 1
Agility - 1
Practicality - 1
You're in!

Vince talks you through what the Coven is (a chapter of some international group of witches, the only London one) and how magic works. Mortals can't see magical beings easily, unless placed under great stress, and forget/alter their memories rapidly. Witches draw power from London and anything else really, and make everyday objects into wands. Currently, the Coven is searching for a power source, and has identified a number of objects that fell from the sky, one of which will be what you're looking for.

Finally, Vince hands you a leaflet with the weapons witches can make detailed on it. Look in the First Post. Any more questions, ask Vince.

As Vince wanders out of his living room, two runes form at the back of your mind.

Market Savvy:
You know what things are worth, and who will pay for or try to get them. From your time spent as a banker, a passive rune.
Acid: a rune that eats into whatever it touches.

Like painless migraines, the curls of light swim insistently across your vision before receding.

You seem to have a pretty good idea of whats going on, but if you want a more in-depth explanation of how stuff nominally works, just ask.

[I have no idea what to do...]
If you can't fight it, try going to fight someone else. Maybe another witch wants a bodyguard. Or try and find another solution.

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN: Mission Three - Open World
« Reply #916 on: November 20, 2017, 03:53:30 pm »

Look for another witch that might need a bodyguard
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: November 20, 2017, 05:54:29 pm »

(Who is talking to the beaver-Golum thing?)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: November 20, 2017, 06:13:32 pm »

(Me)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: November 20, 2017, 06:31:37 pm »

"Hey"
"Do you need help with anything?"

(If you need me to help for something underwater, I'm sure undead don't breathe.)
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: November 20, 2017, 06:42:15 pm »

"Fuck it, let's solve this in the silliest way possible!"

Crack out the old smartphone and make some wonderful fanfiction about how BELLA THE SPEED WITCH totally slays a giant macroslug with dark carapace which had disguised itself as a building. Mail it to Nanami asking if she'd be willing to endorse it if I posted it to the internet, which I'm pretty sure is how that works.

(Make sure to include cutting a big hole with the machete and climbing inside the creature, because that's really what I want.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: November 20, 2017, 06:57:37 pm »

"You could just make a bomb or steal a barrel of acid first, you know.  That might work faster."

"Also, did your hair turn red yet?"

"So you're undead now?  I'm going to get some diving gear.  You might not have to breathe, but you shouldn't go down there alone, in case you get ambushed.  How about you check the banks and make sure nobody beat us to it, or is getting set up, while I get the gear together."
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 07:24:17 pm by Devastator »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: November 20, 2017, 07:41:32 pm »

"Sure, I can do that"
Search the nearby area and the river bank for any hostile creatures. Try talking to the river spirit and ask what is the problem.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: November 21, 2017, 12:45:23 am »

"Fuck it, let's solve this in the silliest way possible!"

Crack out the old smartphone and make some wonderful fanfiction about how BELLA THE SPEED WITCH totally slays a giant macroslug with dark carapace which had disguised itself as a building. Mail it to Nanami asking if she'd be willing to endorse it if I posted it to the internet, which I'm pretty sure is how that works.

(Make sure to include cutting a big hole with the machete and climbing inside the creature, because that's really what I want.

"Okay, fine, I'll let you kill it."

"I want half of the loot, though."

Take half of the loot. Then head back to the banana tree spirit. Distract the man at the stand with a mesmerizing flame, then burn the banana tree spirit's string (for a pyromancy) in exchange for the winning lotto numbers of some big lottery drawing. Once the spirit has departed, burn the tree that she used to reside in for a pyromancy. Then leave before the man behind the stand awakens from the spell of the mesmerizing flame.

Claim/buy my winning lotto numbers, then use my practicality skill to covertly get back to base. I'll need a change of face to hide from the ghost-mafia soon... How fortunate that we have a member of the team that can change the appearances of others at-will.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:50:37 am by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: November 21, 2017, 12:53:33 am »

"Haha, you don't get shit because you're useless. What loot do you even expect from a big slug."

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: November 21, 2017, 01:01:24 am »

"Haha, you don't get shit because you're useless. What loot do you even expect from a big slug."
"I extracted information from it and found/"claimed" it first."

"Organs, some of that carapace, things to burn, parts to reanimate as undead minions... I'm surprised that you don't know how to properly utilize a corpse."
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: November 21, 2017, 01:10:34 am »

"Whatever, if you want to do creepy shit with some space organs then whatever, but the real stuff, the clots, goes to me."

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: November 21, 2017, 01:18:44 am »

"Whatever, if you want to do creepy shit with some space organs then whatever, but the real stuff, the clots, goes to me."
"Give me/let me have the physical things and one clot, and it's a deal."
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 03:28:13 am by ATHATH »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: November 21, 2017, 03:34:33 am »

(Clots cannot be transferred between people.  Still, if you're around when it dies, I'd expect you'd get one.)

"Don't worry.  Once the glowy thing is out of the canal, there should be no reason for them to bother you."

Go find a place to rent diving gear.  I'd want two sets, one for myself and the other for Ben, or someone else to come with me.  Then, proceed to the magic market and look for magical items that can fulfill a similar purpose.

"Oh, and do try not to start a firefight before we have to.  I'd very much not get the cops involved until we've got it out of the river."
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:39:12 am by Devastator »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: November 21, 2017, 12:39:19 pm »

Don will go to the area near his old apartment and see what magical creatures abound. He's looking for chalice/talisman materials. Also, before he leaves the neighborhood that base is in, he'll draw the Caustic symbol on a brick or concrete fence/wall in two spots, one big one small. Goal is to understand how fast it works/size limitations.

To Vince: "I'll be back, looking for some of these materials you talk about. Let me know if you need anything."
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 86