Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 86

Author Topic: COVEN: Gulled Goldsmiths and Lost Locomotives  (Read 154085 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN: Mission Three - Open World
« Reply #810 on: October 05, 2017, 03:42:48 am »

You also get handed a notice by one of the Transport For London mages, who herd the giant worm-trains through tunnels. You're not sure exactly what's going on with that, but the underground seems to be made of worms that can also carry commuters or something. Anyway, there's a loose crazed trainworm, and he's paying money for sightings as well as putting a really substantial bounty on it.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: October 06, 2017, 12:16:06 am »

You also get handed a notice by one of the Transport For London mages, who herd the giant worm-trains through tunnels. You're not sure exactly what's going on with that, but the underground seems to be made of worms that can also carry commuters or something. Anyway, there's a loose crazed trainworm, and he's paying money for sightings as well as putting a really substantial bounty on it.
"I'll do it with you, but I'll need to deal with the Spirit Mafia first. Wanna come help me either work for or against them?"
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: October 06, 2017, 12:17:28 am »

"I'm not against it, but 48 hours or go to hell is breathing down my neck right now.  Gotta get this done first."

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: October 06, 2017, 11:56:36 am »

"I'm not against it, but 48 hours or go to hell is breathing down my neck right now.  Gotta get this done first."
"The Ghost Mafia has imposed somewhat similar conditions on me as well."
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: October 08, 2017, 10:41:21 pm »

"I guess we'll do the tunnels after we're done our respective missions, then."

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: October 08, 2017, 10:57:26 pm »

"I guess we'll do the tunnels after we're done our respective missions, then."
"I'd be fine with that."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: October 08, 2017, 10:58:56 pm »

"Oh, also, that cloth is going to be for a magical item.  Please don't burn it.  Before or after."
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 11:04:35 pm by Devastator »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: October 09, 2017, 12:17:25 am »

"Oh, also, that cloth is going to be for a magical item.  Please don't burn it.  Before or after."
"What cloth?"
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 11:33:42 am by ATHATH »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: October 09, 2017, 12:27:32 am »

"I bought eighty feet of red cloth that I want to use later.  It'll turn magical if my plan for it works out.  If you burn it I'm going to be angry."

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: October 09, 2017, 11:33:59 am »

"I bought eighty feet of red cloth that I want to use later.  It'll turn magical if my plan for it works out.  If you burn it I'm going to be angry."
"I wasn't planning to, but okay."

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: October 09, 2017, 12:05:39 pm »

Ask about different types of immortality like maybe just aging slower or coming back from the dead,
differences between the many undeads like ghouls, liches, vampires, and if undead are stronger at necromancy or how do I become one.

Different types of undead? The necromancer enthusiast launches into a topic he feels passionately about. Ghouls are mindless, sick beings, that try to drag the living down to their level, infecting and consuming them.

Liches are undead necromancers, aligned with death and feeding on the living for magical power, stronger than other necromancers through their proximity to death and survivability. Liches are also noted for transhumanism: skilled enough to adapt themselves, and tough enough to endure radical modifications.

Vampires are descended from other vampires or have been infected. It's hard to become one, as you'll likely have to carry out tasks for the head of a vampire family, pay large amounts of money, or do something very unscrupulous indeed to get your hands on the required blood. Vampires have a wide range of abilities, which vary from family to family, but almost all of them have inhuman charisma, strength, reactions, and longevity. Some have more interesting innate abilities, such as hypnosis, or turning into a bat.

Aging slower is pretty easy. Coming back from the dead... very hard. Need some special tech or potion or something. Killing yourself in a controlled environment to become undead is actually easier, then you just need a necromancer to stuff the spirit back into the body.

So he wants ammo, does he? I'll give him some fucking ammo. Use the pistolwand spell on Ben's leg, see if he can rationalize that. No muzzle flash, no gunshot. If possible, try to make the resulting bullet 5.7×28mm, rather than 9mm. A tasty flesh snack for his gun, no?
Note, I'm going to do this unannounced, from and angle Ben can't see me from immediately, so he can't shoot me before i cast.
Also I'm doing this outdoors. I'm assuming that Ben goes outdoors occasionally.

I'm not going to assume I survive that, but if I do:

What do I need to burn to learn Heal Burn? That's kinda important. Maybe find a magical aloe plant to burn.
Try making a bullet from my Pyromancy Flame. Probably weakens my power a little, but it's worth it for the single "magic bullet".
Make bullets from cardboard, wax, a ceramic plate, glass, water, scrap metal, hard plastic (from bigger outdoors trash bins), grass, dirt, concrete, and Nanami's hair.
See if I can make bullets in calibres other than 9mm.
Burn all the bullets I make, except for a few which I'll test fire with an empty magazine in a quiet place.
Wander around and look for random magical things which I can swipe and burn/bulletify.

You make the shot from behind Ben as he walks outside, just before the door slams shut.

Aim/Banal: 2+1

You manage to hit his lower calf. The bullet that ejects is composed of steel, fabric and a small quantity of flesh and skin. Huh.

Ben feels a twinge in his leg, and reaches down behind the knife, feeling the depression. Just an old gunshot wound playing up.

Heal burn? You need to burn a magical healing item. You can't make a bullet from your pyromancy flame. It would be like trying to aim a gun at an abstract concept. The flame is part of your magical metabolism: present throughout your body.

So bullets from cardboard, wax, a ceramic plate, glass, water, scrap metal, hard plastic (from bigger outdoors trash bins), grass, dirt, concrete, and Nanami's hair.

The cardboard one creates a sheet of cardboard on impact, sticking out of the ground. The wax one makes a splash of burning hot wax. Ceramic: shard of plate. Glass: many long splinters of glass. Water: spray of boiling water. Scrap metal: like a normal bullet but crappier. Same for plastic. Grass makes a patch of greenery sprout from the point of impact. Dirt bullet comes out as a brief spray of mud. Concrete sends a spary of hot fragments. Hair (yours) just burns up in midair.

Magical things generally have minds attached, and hence aren't up for nicking. The bullets aren't magical enough to teach your flame anything new.

"Hmm, forty-eight hours, I'd better put everything else on hold."

There's three ways that come to mind right away to provide someone with an opportunity for embezzlement.  The first two require some investigation as to their viability.

Most important piece of info is how large of a charity is this?  How much money seems reasonable to count as an opportunity?

First, is the charity dealing with any kind of material donations, or just cash?  Goods, equipment, labor, etcetera?  That'll be required for the first plan.

Second plan is dependant on how the charity is funded.  Does it seek donations from businesses or private individuals?  Is it government funded?  Is there a trust or stock fund that pays for the charity's operations?

If neither of those are viable, I'll proceed with plan #3, but the other two will be better if the charity is suitable.

I doubt it's required, but don't let Bella take my hair.  It's mine and I don't trust Bella enough to give it to her without her at least asking first.

Also, don't let Sir Worthington loot any bodies or burn corpses.  If he wanted a cut of the loot, he should have been there for the fight, and if Bella should die her broom belongs to me, as per our agreement that was literally just made last turn.

Christian Aid is the charity, btw. Total charity income £100 million. The CEO earns 90k a year, so around a million pounds seems reasonable. It doesn't work with anything valuable and easily stolen. About half the donations are from institutions and government. No individual trust fund, but there are several very large ones.

You manage your property, carefully collecting any hair you may have left behind. No, you don't look paranoid at all.

So, does anybody wanna help me kill a ghost-alligator that's affiliated with the spirit mafia? It's for a good cause.

"I wouldn't get mixed up with the mafia, kid.  They'll eat you alive, maybe literally.  A lot of crazies hook up with them, it's the drugs frying their brains."

Ben's going to go out--with the Minimi and his other stuff in overly suspicious bags--and case a pharmacy.  Preferably early early morning, while it's still a bit dark out, and minimizing time taken.  He's fully aware of how suspicious he is and doesn't want to stay in any one place for long.

Also, he'll check the P90 for ammo again when he gets back to Vince's.

((I don't mind Egan's action, it seems completely reasonable and IC.  Bella isn't even trying to kill Ben, which is better than what he's said he'd do to her.  If anyone's being disruptive, it's the guy who's bullying an ally into doing work for him.))
You identify an entry point through a window nearly hidden by a public toilet. You reckon you could probably get in and out of the back, where they keep the real goods, without being detected. Unless someone was in the room.

Oh, speaking of legs, do I still have my severed legs? IIRC, NJW2000 said that a pyromancer could burn them to learn the pyromancy spells that I knew when I lost my leg. I'd be willing to give it to Egan_BW in exchange for him helping me kill the alligator spirit and getting the ghost-mafia off of my back once I do so.

Burn the corpse of Amdukias's messenger beetle.

If a fight breaks out between Egan_BW and Ben, burn the corpses of anyone who dies in the fight. Save their gear first, though.

Burn my scuttle gem.

You still have your original leg, provided noone has eaten it. The beetle has very little magical residue, so nothing good from burning it.

A Gem Pyromancy eh? That's a first. You attempt to consume the gem with your pyromancy flame. The fire licks the outside for a bit, and nothing happens. Then it explodes.

You come to in the middle of a charred patch of living room, hair and clothes slightly singed. And you have a new, one-shot recharging pyromancy. It costs no puissance to use, but you have to wait for it to recharge. You test it outside.

Hundreds of white-hot insects pour from the cracks in the bubbling asphalt, as thick waves of heat blur your vision. The burning creatures move around you in waves, some taking to the air, stings and teeth vibrating. Sheesh.

Vince strides into his house, forcibly collects all witches present on a sofa, and explains your next step. He has tracked the objects that fell from the sky recently, and has pinpointed the locations of each of them. One, a powerful occult thing, fell in a park. The second, something glowing very brightly, fell into a canal. And the third, something very large and heavy, fell beside a sports stadium. He's almost certain one of these is a possible power source. And that the other two will present problems if it is. He gives you the locations. Your move.

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: October 09, 2017, 12:31:49 pm »

Ask how do I become a lich and if he could teach me some spells or rituals that I could use like how to raise the dead, using necromancy to cause or cure wounds or controlling undead. Once I'm done learning about necromancy from this group and they have nothing else to teach me, ask about other necromancer groups where I could learn more.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 12:34:37 pm by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: October 09, 2017, 02:11:33 pm »

Try to go and regroup with others
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: October 09, 2017, 03:01:53 pm »

Hmm, large scale donors.  A million pounds is a little much to talk someone into donating in a day, and with government and institutional funding most funds will be annual budgets.  Stealing from operational funds takes a long time, and although it could certainly accumulate to over a million pounds, it's hard to call that an 'opportunity' to do so, at least one that'll materialize in the next 48 hours.  Trust funds have some potential, but there will be a couple more people managing money, a few accountants, too many people to talk into it, so I'd have to steal the money myself and leave bucks for him.. which is an idea.  Plan B it is.

Find out if the canal rock was the same canal we were fighting near, and maybe it was that marker in the water.  Also ask Vince if he knows where I can get some lockpicks, and buy a set if available.  Also test out one of the large rock chunks on some civilian, checking if there's any visible effect.

Put on an illusiory disguise and head for the building housing the charity.  Aim for rib-striking, but try to make myself look more human.  A little scary and intimidating is fine, but a little less than current.  Take my time with this, as if I screw up, it could be important, and I need to look like a different person.  A different ethnicity would be good, like someone from the middle east, say.

Bring, inside the backpack, the sketchbook, my wand, and the camera.  Take a rock chunk if I figure out some way to use it to my advantage, such as if it renders people more tractable or is a great distraction.

In any case, ask about volunteering and try to get a good look at the entire building.  Talk with a lot of people.  What I'm looking for are the people who will be handling the funds.  Check them out on my phone, and pick one as a target.  Try to get that guy's password, either through watching him log in or using/hiding the camera to record him logging in.  Set up a date for tonight with that person.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:00:18 pm by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: October 09, 2017, 03:02:38 pm »

Stick that Benflesh bullet in my inventory, please.
Head over to that fallen object #1.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 09:46:18 pm by Egan_BW »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 86