Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 86

Author Topic: COVEN: Gulled Goldsmiths and Lost Locomotives  (Read 153769 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN: Mission Three - Open World
« Reply #585 on: July 12, 2017, 10:00:05 am »

Regenerating?  Like with limestone?

Start a conversation.  Try to find out a few things:

1. The names of the two of them.
2. Their gear.  Radios?  What personal protective equipment are they wearing, and is it appropriate to what's being done?  (Some stuff that would be easy to miss if playing dress-up are gas monitors and contractor tags.  Are they carrying weapons, and what type, although I think Ben would be better at spotting these than I would be.
3. Are these guys legit contractors, or is it a couple of cultists moonlighting or something?  Is there any magic on them, or do they have any personal magic?

Secondary is what they're actually doing here, and then basic stuff like how long this is happening for, and directions around the area.  This is mostly just conversational filler.

Also, as the conversation is going, slowly drop the illusion.  I may want to make another one next, and make sure I'm allowing Ben a clear line of fire.

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 12, 2017, 10:28:55 am »

"What are you guarding in the territory of your control,which you are guarding with very aggresive meaning of guarding the item from this area which i might,or might not need from this area of your control"
By saying this i am hoping to fuck their brains up and while they are trying to process it,sneak throu
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Re: COVEN: Mission Three - Open World
« Reply #587 on: July 12, 2017, 10:58:17 am »

Ben gives the man an unamused stare, and is about to respond when Nanami speaks.  He throws a peeved look her way, but relents and stays silent.

Keep a hand on a athame--not the gun--and stay watchful for any aggression from the men.  If they attack or get too close to Nanami, nearest guy gets his neck slashed (or a knife thrown into it).  Also, circle around a bit while Nanami has their attention.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 12, 2017, 01:15:39 pm »

Summon my worm again, if I can. Rest for a bit; I'm in no shape to fight.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 12, 2017, 01:45:31 pm »

Shoot it a few more times.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 12, 2017, 02:15:05 pm »

Engrave Slaughter into my machete. Fly over to where people are fighting that giant scorpion and taunt it. swoop in at high speed and hack its tail off. Tail cut!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 07:04:17 pm by Egan_BW »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 12, 2017, 03:13:26 pm »

Engrave Slaughter into my machete. Fly over to where people are fighting that giant scorpion and taunt it.

Do you have engraving tools?  They're on the list of things to get for a burglar's kit, and that would save me a step.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 02:20:54 am by Devastator »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 17, 2017, 05:01:49 am »

Regenerating?  Like with limestone?

Start a conversation.  Try to find out a few things:

1. The names of the two of them.
2. Their gear.  Radios?  What personal protective equipment are they wearing, and is it appropriate to what's being done?  (Some stuff that would be easy to miss if playing dress-up are gas monitors and contractor tags.  Are they carrying weapons, and what type, although I think Ben would be better at spotting these than I would be.
3. Are these guys legit contractors, or is it a couple of cultists moonlighting or something?  Is there any magic on them, or do they have any personal magic?

Secondary is what they're actually doing here, and then basic stuff like how long this is happening for, and directions around the area.  This is mostly just conversational filler.

Also, as the conversation is going, slowly drop the illusion.  I may want to make another one next, and make sure I'm allowing Ben a clear line of fire.

"Absolutely like with limestone. But we're also making a number of ecological and infrastructure improvements along the canal edge, and we're using some sensitive and dangerous equipment, so I'm going to have to ask you to go back the way you came."

You begin a slightly awkward conversation, introducing yourself and Ben, and finding out in return that they're called John and Joshua. It's hard to tell if they're lying, these people are almost supernaturally poker-faced, and refuse to give any specifics. They only talk in generalities about the "regeneration", and hint that it's far too complex for members of the public to understand. They're carrying something in their jackets, but you can't tell what. They have radios on their jackets, turned off, and legitamite looking tags. They aren't wearing any protective equipment except high-visibility jackets that you can see.

You get a clear picture of the immediate area from them, though nothing outside of a few hundred metres away. They say the improvements could go on for months.

It's hard to tell if these guys are for real, but you can't sense any magic. You try to make a judgement

Practicality: 1+2

There's something slightly odd about this, but you can't tell what. Joshua politely repeats his request that you turn back, but the two of them are edging slightly closer to you, looking ready for a physical confrontation.

Ben gives the man an unamused stare, and is about to respond when Nanami speaks.  He throws a peeved look her way, but relents and stays silent.

Keep a hand on a athame--not the gun--and stay watchful for any aggression from the men.  If they attack or get too close to Nanami, nearest guy gets his neck slashed (or a knife thrown into it).  Also, circle around a bit while Nanami has their attention.
You try to circle around, but there's not much room on the canal path, and the one speaking moves at once to block your way. Pretty impressive considering he looks like he's paying attention to her.

You catch a flash of metal in one of their jackets.

"What are you guarding in the territory of your control,which you are guarding with very aggresive meaning of guarding the item from this area which i might,or might not need from this area of your control"
By saying this i am hoping to fuck their brains up and while they are trying to process it,sneak throu

You jabber away at the golem. It scrunches up its face in confusion, the streetlamps embedded in its eye sockets flickering on and off. It begins to confer with the other two, at which point you stride away behind a truck and sprint up the road. After thirty seconds of running, you look round to see three very pissed off golems looking for you: lifting up cars and looking underneath them, peering into shops, all that.

So you're almost adjacent to one of the points on the map, but the one a few hundred metres away is further from the golems.

Engrave Slaughter into my machete. Fly over to where people are fighting that giant scorpion and taunt it. swoop in at high speed and hack its tail off. Tail cut!
Prac: 6

You scrounge up a couple of nails and sharp bits of metal, and spend the next hour engraving the rune in intricate, swirling fractal patterns all along the blade. You almost ruin the machete, and the blade is now very delicate, but on the plus side it is now incredibly powerful when used against multiple weaker opponents.

This leaves you no time to fly anywhere. Vince gives you the locactions of every current Coven member, so feel free to join anyone you please.

Shoot it a few more times.
Summon my worm again, if I can. Rest for a bit; I'm in no shape to fight.
Worthington uses the dregs of his mana, pulling the demonic toad back into existence beneath the scorpion's feet. It latches on firmly, the acid spurting from it dripping into the holes in the insect's carapace, producing inhuman shrieks of pain. Jimmy drops to one knee, steadies his aim, and uses the vital few seconds the beast is immobilised for to send several bullets straight through its face and head. Black ichor squirts from the entry and exit wounds, and the creature freezes completely as the demon dissipates, stiff and dead.

The adrenaline pumping through the veins of the two witches slowly lessens, and Worthington slumps back against the tree trunk exhausted and injured. Then he feels his internal flame flare up with the victory, sensing a trophy to burn nearby. A bodypart of the scorpion, perhaps, or one of its young.

Jimmy turns to the scorpion's young, stamping on a few, as they flee keening wildly. They don't get very far without a guardian, as the opportunistic predators of the magical world begin to circle, their feeble manipulation of space insufficient to protect them for long. A seagull the size of a dog snatches up one of the larvae and flaps off with it firmly held in the beak. A near-invisible ripple in the fabric of the city approaches a second crawling over brickwork and pulls it in like a stone falling into a pool of oil. A scraggly pigeon-gnome hybrid kebabs a third on a homemade spear and darts away, stuffing it into a bag already full of succulent garbage. It doesn't look like the monks will have any more problems with these creatures.

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 17, 2017, 08:49:35 am »

"Hey, Fred, what's the big idea?"

Yeaaah, they're being way too obstructive, and he has a weapon.  Knife him in the throat, make sure everything important is severed; the other guy shouldn't react instantly, so he can be ignored for the moment.

Edit: In case you don't read IC chat, "Fred" is the violence cue for Nanami.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 17, 2017, 11:06:41 am »

At Ben's cue, draw my wand, and put three of spell#1 into whichever one Ben isn't attacking.  Aim for the head.

"Where do all these cult leaders find such hard-to-decoy minions, anyway?"
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:17:45 pm by Devastator »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 17, 2017, 01:02:43 pm »

look for something hollow and try to harvest some venom from that big bug before its entirely gone, then head back to the monks.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 17, 2017, 02:32:16 pm »

Okay try to stay hidden and go for the point,stay in shops for aslong as i need and go to another one for hiding,repeat untill im at the point
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 17, 2017, 02:44:53 pm »

Zoop on over to Ben and Nanami and hack the things they're hacking.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 17, 2017, 04:45:48 pm »

Burn the scorpion corpses, then loot the nest.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 21, 2017, 12:32:35 pm »

look for something hollow and try to harvest some venom from that big bug before its entirely gone, then head back to the monks.
You scrounge up a milk bottle and fill it with space-warping venom from the shattered tail, before going over to the monks.

The monks are pretty pleased about your victory, but all the witches have already left and gone somewhere else. The monks offer to put some of your questions into the machine if you still want that. They also offer to trade instead, having a device they refer to as an "omni-tool" that they don't need any more.

You also get one puissant clot for killing the beast.

Burn the scorpion corpses, then loot the nest.
You stagger over to the corpse, and set it alight with a spray of flame. The thing's body burns brightly, and you feel your pyromancy flame twist and change. After a few seconds, you've learnt a new spell: flame claw. At a cost of three puissance, you can create a flaming limb that extends several feet from your arm, culminating in a massive claw that snatches once before dissipating into cinders. It is capable of simultaneously cutting a tree in half and setting fire to it.

The nest is a hole in the ground full of stinking mud and weak magical residue. You find a gem there, clear and white on the surface but wirithing internally with tiny dark limbs, insect-like and vile.

Okay try to stay hidden and go for the point,stay in shops for aslong as i need and go to another one for hiding,repeat untill im at the point
You dart into a clothes shop and stay in a changing room until the golems are safely out of sight. You notice one or two patrolling from time to time as you move through their territory, but don't encounter any more.

The point on the map looks like any other ordinary council house, until you stand within a hundred metres. Then the illusion flickers away, and a two hundred foot obsidian monolith pierces the skyline. Engraved on it are the words, "Tomb of Benkazal the Necromancerl", in ornate and massive letters flickering with magic. Just below them, "Dark Things Await All Ye Who Enter In" is written in the same hand. The base of the monument is hidden beneath heaps of earth, as if it was recently forced up from the ground. Two more golems guard the shadowy entrance to the structure, a twelve foot doorway beyond which nothing can be seen.

"Hey, Fred, what's the big idea?"

Yeaaah, they're being way too obstructive, and he has a weapon.  Knife him in the throat, make sure everything important is severed; the other guy shouldn't react instantly, so he can be ignored for the moment.

Edit: In case you don't read IC chat, "Fred" is the violence cue for Nanami.
At Ben's cue, draw my wand, and put three of spell#1 into whichever one Ben isn't attacking.  Aim for the head.

"Where do all these cult leaders find such hard-to-decoy minions, anyway?"
1+1, 5+2.5+1 vs 3+1, 2+1

In one fluid motion, Ben brings a knife from his bag up and across the man's throat. "John" reels away from the blow, even as blood splashes through his ruptured esophagus, and pulls a stubby handgun from his jacket. He manages to get it caught in the pocket, at which point Ben severs his spinal cord and he falls like a sack of potatoes.

Nanami fires a shard of crystal at the other man, hitting air. "Joshua" lunges at Ben with a spanner but the blow is neatly thrown aside. He backs off a few paces before hissing, "I will negotiate. Bring me the warrior, and the we can share the light."

Whatever that means. It dooesn't really sound like he's referring to himself.

Zoop on over to Ben and Nanami and hack the things they're hacking.
You fly over, arriving just in time to see a ragged geriatric slice a canal worker's throat with a knife and a beautiful asian woman fire a spell at nothing in particular. You manage to identify which side is the Coven, but not much else.

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 86