Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 86

Author Topic: COVEN: Gulled Goldsmiths and Lost Locomotives  (Read 154083 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN: Mission Three - Open World
« Reply #555 on: July 02, 2017, 11:30:49 pm »

Fly up on my broom, Shoot down at the Big buggy.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: July 03, 2017, 12:31:55 am »

Follow the string, with the others. Have bone wand at the ready, and upgrade it with clots if whatever I see provides one to me. I doubt it, though, but it's worth being ready for.
Follow the magical string!

I'm still in a quantum, timey-wimey state of both following OceanSoul and fighting the beetle, right?

Also, my offer to Ben extends to all of you, if you're somehow here and participate.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: July 03, 2017, 01:54:03 am »

((I'm nowhere near that, it's all for you.  I do have some plans on scams to run next, assuming that Amdukias doesn't pull me out of reality and tell me to shoot someone first.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Re: COVEN: Mission Three - Open World
« Reply #558 on: July 03, 2017, 11:15:10 pm »

Ben pauses for a moment, visibly shaken, and closes his eyes.  "P90, not P50, I'm not that crazy yet, I know guns..." he mutters to himself, before taking a deep breath.

Ben's reverie is interrupted by Nanami's order, which he's clearly confused by, but he shrugs and turns away anyway.  He does give a parting glare to the little runt before leaving, just to make sure it knows not to mess with the woman.

Leave Nanami, and go find a dumpster.  Grab a few completely-intact trash bags out of it, and dump their contents, then put them inside each other so that they're all like one extra thick bag.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re: COVEN: Mission Three - Open World
« Reply #559 on: July 04, 2017, 01:09:48 am »

Ben pauses for a moment, visibly shaken, and closes his eyes.  "P90, not P50, I'm not that crazy yet, I know guns..." he mutters to himself, before taking a deep breath.

Ben's reverie is interrupted by Nanami's order, which he's clearly confused by, but he shrugs and turns away anyway.  He does give a parting glare to the little runt before leaving, just to make sure it knows not to mess with the woman.

Leave Nanami, and go find a dumpster.  Grab a few completely-intact trash bags out of it, and dump their contents, then put them inside each other so that they're all like one extra thick bag.
Er... You might want to address the "giant scorpion that wants to kill you (and me)" problem.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: July 04, 2017, 01:38:59 am »

((We're in a different part of the city, nowhere near the others, Athath.  It's supposed to be you and Jimmy, crazyabe's character.))
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 01:53:22 am by Devastator »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: July 04, 2017, 01:56:38 am »

((We're in a different part of the city, nowhere near the others, Athath.  It's supposed to be you and Jimmy, crazyabe's character.))
This is correct. Sorry about all the sense errors this update, it was a little rushed.
One wheel short of a wagon

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: July 04, 2017, 06:47:35 pm »

This is correct. Sorry about all the sense errors this update, it was a little rushed.
I've edited my offer, then.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 07, 2017, 10:43:33 am »

Nuke it with my worm. Then nuke it again after my worm recharges. Then nuke its nest. Then nuke its nest again.

Then report my success back to the monks.

So, I can burn the string (or other magical stuff) later to improve my pyromancy? Would the pyromancy spells that I'd learn be influenced by what I burned (i.e. if I burned the string, would I gain the ability to make a fire snake/whip or twist fire to constrain opponents?)? Take the string with me.

Can I animate the dead by just putting clots into them? Would becoming a lich serve as a focus for my necromancy?

Do I have to use my phylactery to consume my lich-food (if I become a lich), or can I just bury it somewhere?

@Tree-woman: "How did you die? Why weren't you buried? Can you tell us anything about the man that tied this string around you?"
You could burn the string to learn new pyromancies, yes. Yes, they would be influenced by what you burned.

Yes, provided you were a lich or similar. A clot would produce an undead nearly as functional as something living. You don't really have any reasonable claim to an affinity with death-based magic right now. Maybe if you were a morbid goth or something, or had a death-related experience or artifact... as much a RP thing as anything else. Yes, being a lich would make you capable of necromancy.

You don't have to use the phylactery, but if it isn't getting food, you aren't doing magic or living very long.

You keep the string. The end that isn't trailing off out of sight. The tree-spirit is evasive, but claims to have been murdered by ruffians and left to rot. She's pretty calm about it, all things considered. You guess the dead don't get PTSD.

"Well only one way to go i guess" he thinks and heads east
You start to walk East, but only get a few blocks before complications arise. Staggering along the pavement towards you are three giant man-shaped golems. Squat and powerful, they're still three times your height, and are built out of odds and ends collected seemingly at random. Each has a large metal dumpster for a jaw and chin, while irregular eyes composed of cameras, flashlights and shattered electronics glare down at you from skulls of scaffolding. Incredible muscles made from garbage bags and shopping trolleys flex concrete fists and feet. The largest of the three golems, its chest a mess of smashed car and barbed wire, bends down to talk to you.

"Do not come here again... go somewhere else. Turn back."

It gestures along the street.

"Here... our place. Do not come."

Adjusting your route would be easy enough. And you aren't very curious about what the golems are protecting... are you? Hmm...

(I'm very much wondering if this is one of those 'lure near the waterside and drown people' water spirits.  That said.. I've got an idea.)

"Ben, can you go and get a travel cup or a water bottle or something big enough to hold something about that big in it, and one that has a lid?  Indicate the size of the magic water source with my fingers. "I'll go talk with it and find out what's up."  "Don't worry, I'll be careful."

Go closer to the water spirit, but stay about five or so feet away, and ask it to describe the problem.  If it comes closer, lure it further away from the water.  Try to use my seduction training to figure out if it's genuinely distressed or faking it.

Ben gets the bags while Nanami talks to the spirit. It clearly wants to get closer but doesn't dare to, staying miserably on the damp boundary between dry land and the deep water.

The spirit tells a blubbering and incoherent story about weird lights under the water, odd people on the land further North, and the river tasting funny and being too warm. It doesn't feel safe getting back in, but can't manage being away from water for too long. You're pretty sure it's telling the truth; the thing seems too weak and simple for this to be a deception. And you can't percieve any nearby threats, though the water does seem to have a slight magical residue.

Follow the string, with the others. Have bone wand at the ready, and upgrade it with clots if whatever I see provides one to me. I doubt it, though, but it's worth being ready for.
Follow the magical string!

I'm still in a quantum, timey-wimey state of both following OceanSoul and fighting the beetle, right?

Also, my offer to Ben extends to all of you, if you're somehow here and participate.
You can't follow the string and fight the scorpion at once. I think having you in two simultaneous combats would be too confusing.

Hm... Are my legs still around? If so, are they magical? If so, can I burn them to gain power?

If not, can I burn other parts of myself to gain power, Planescape: Torment style?
One leg is still around. They're slightly magical just like the rest of you. Ew. No, you can't burn parts of yourself to gain power: you have to teach your flame something new when you burn something with it. So burning the ensignia of a particular order or group would teach your flame about the group.

The Pest in the Park

Fly up on my broom, Shoot down at the Big buggy.

Agility: 1

6+1, 2+3 vs 4+3

Sir Worthington immediately conjures upon his toad demon. Acid splashes everywhere as the thing emerges from the earth, and the two beasts grapple furiously. The prawn-limbs slash and grab at the scorpion's carapace, but to little effect as the massive claws of the creature slam through the demon, puncturing its light exoskeleton with wet ripping sounds. Defeated, Worthington's creature falls to the ground.

Jimmy has by this point leapt onto his broom, and is circling the scorpion several metres out of the reach of its stabbing tail. Holding his glock in both hands, he takes careful aim and fires. The shot penetrates the sting, shattering it and spraying physics-warping venom over the earth. Startled by the recoil, Jimmy loses his balance and goes over backwards, toppling from the broom and falling ten metres to the ground. He lands on his back, winded but unharmed, having squashed beneath him several of the brood. The remaining scorpion larvae scuttle towards him, as his broom floats down unhurriedly.

Sir Worthington backs away from the incensed scorpion, which fixes its attention upon him, making a sound not unlike a welding torch in pain. An area of uncertain space starts to open up between Jimmy and the other two combatants: the reality-bending venom of the creature twisting and enlarging tiny contours in the earth until, paradoxically, a hill forty feet across occupies the centre of the ten-metre lawn. Stalks of grass the height of wheat grow there, and a few confused ordinary insects magnified to the size of dogs buzz away back into normal space. A point of height and relative safety, it's an option for either witch if they want to put some distance between themselves and their enemy. You coul also run round it a lot faster than you can run across it, and other neat stuff like that.

String
You follow the string through the market, across roads, down alleys, over and under bridges and overpasses, until you reach a rather expensive looking apartment building not marked on Vince's map. In fact, you can't sense any magic coming from it at all. The string leads up the stairs, but the well-dressed security man at the door won't let you upstairs without a resident asking you up to their apartment, or similar proof of your right to be there.

You're also alone, by the way.

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:48:11 am by NJW2000 »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 07, 2017, 11:10:15 am »

"Sounds like someone's experimenting with magic north of here..  we might be able to help you out.  Is there anything you could do for us in return?"

Try to negotiate an agreement with the water spirit, see what it can do for us.

After that's done..

"Someone north of here seems to be dicking about with the river a bit.  One of the places Vince gave us to check out was just north of here, next to the river so we might be able to get paid for something we were going to do anyway.  Lets head there next."

Head north to the third location, 51.53387396   -0.01758724, (a railyard) and check that one out next.  Look at the river to see if the residue is still around or if it's coming from here.

"Also, Ben, you're a good guy, and you bring a lot to the team, but we need to bash a few things out.  Back there I was planning on distracting the thing while you could take care of it from another angle should it cause trouble, but I didn't have a way to notify you of this.  We should make some signals so I can tell you to start kicking ass, and another one so I can tell you to back down because I've got it under control and starting a fight would make things harder.  Maybe specific words, or hand signs?"
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 04:10:25 am by Devastator »

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 07, 2017, 11:30:09 am »

"Why can't i come into your place? what if i need something from around here?"
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 07, 2017, 01:28:04 pm »

"Well, to be honest, I don't know specifically who I'm supposed to talk with. Forgot to ask their name. I was sent by a friend of theirs...Nōhime, I believe, quite a spirited person. She said she had something a-ppealing to offer them, no strings attached, but she's tied up at the moment, so she couldn't meet them in person. Can you just have someone ask around upstairs for them? I can wait a bit, but I don't want to leave either of them waiting".

Tell this to the guard. If he doesn't let me up, look at the windows of apartments of the above floors, and see if I can notice any of the red string. Remember that I have the Isolation rune, so I get a bonus to my rolls.

Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 07, 2017, 02:38:57 pm »

Oi, am I on the waitlist or in the game?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 07, 2017, 02:48:16 pm »

Eh, sorry, keep forgetting about you. I was going to let you do the affinity thing, but couldn't think of a suitable drawback. But if you want to go for a normal build, just post an action as if all the formalities have been dealt with.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 07, 2017, 03:01:38 pm »

Climb to the top, Take some more shots.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 86