Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 86

Author Topic: COVEN: Gulled Goldsmiths and Lost Locomotives  (Read 153925 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN: Mission Two Finished
« Reply #465 on: May 17, 2017, 05:15:08 pm »

"Are you sure that you want to do this?"

Say the above in a slightly menacing voice.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 19, 2017, 11:08:06 pm »

Can I see what the muggle-version of an event looks like by using my glass eye's ability on a muggle?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 20, 2017, 03:39:26 am »

Can I see what the muggle-version of an event looks like by using my glass eye's ability on a muggle?
Yes. Also, intimidating muggers might be a wasted action, given that they do want to do this.
One wheel short of a wagon

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN: Mission Three starting soon.
« Reply #468 on: May 21, 2017, 11:27:19 am »

Improve broom to with 2 Clots, Assume I didn't pay whats his face and grab the gun, Head out exploring, in that order.
You put both clots into the broom (this was what you meant, right?). It is now capable of pretty much constant flight in normal conditions. You'll only need to come down to sleep.

The gunfarmers explain to you that the shining black Glock 17 you bought is alive, feeds off death to make ammo, and lays eggs in the bodies of people you hit. You nod along like they aren't a bunch of weirdos, and leave.

Exploring, eh? You wander into the city centre and come across an aztec deity supervising the building of a new temple/skyscraper. Tlaloc, he's pretty imposing. Thunder and mist swirling around him, fangs, bulging eyes, jaguar head, all that. From his conversations with the architect, a mage and worshipper, he's trying to set himself up a base in London. Might be worth a look.

Aside from that, you find a crowd of weird black mantis-things, living in a hollowed out rock full of black nutrient gel, selling unfamiliar weaponry, all rings and circles of smooth metal. Might be an interesting buy.

Then you get mugged. Crime is a real problem in this city.

Buy a sketchbook and some art supplies.  Spend the day wandering the city, going places, seeing people and things.  Make sketches of various locations, buildings, and creatures.  Make sure to include the demon-filled tunnel, elevator, and Amdukias as well as his secretary.  (without re-entering said building, so do those by memory.)  Also include a few sketches of an OC who is obviously a somewhat-idealized myself, save for some obvious physical difference, such as longer hair.
You produce a pretty good portfolio, enough interesting content for a whole series of graphic novels. Also some self portraits, though thanks to the gifts of Amdukias, you barely need to tweak anything.

Courier service? Sounds perfect. Head over to the pickup point.

1)Will Unending Avarice activate automatically, or do I have to consciously use it when I want to loot shit?
2)Would casting thornwand's second spell on my roomba decrease the roomba's magical power? 3)Is that spell permanent, or can I deactivate it?

Also might want to do something about those teeth stuck in my forehead.

1)I'll try and do it automatically, but I'll probably forget a lot. Looking for stuff as an action will definitely help you find stuff.
2)No, though it might just not really apply.
3)You don't have any way of taking it off, no.

The box is given to you beside a canal by a curt, twitching young man in a trenchcoat. Seems a bit full of himself, with trashy metal bracelets and an aluminium bat hung sword-like at his belt, but the guy can teleport at least a few metres at a time. And he knows just how jealous everyone is. He seems pretty paranoid and buggers off immediately.

Looking at the box itself, you estimate that the magical ingredients inside are worth around two thousand pounds, to the magically inclined.

The destination flashes on your paper. They want you to be at a certain tomb in a certain old graveyard within an hour. Should be doable. What route? Underground (metro)? Rooftops? Bus? Walking? Might be a significant choice.

Hmm.  We got any spare mice (the computer kind)?
You find a handful of computer mice in a dump. They don't work, some idiot cut the cords with scissors.

"Are you sure that you want to do this?"

Say the above in a slightly menacing voice.

The muggers do want to do this, and they also want you to take any money and valuables out of your pockets so they don't have to stab you.

Also, please keep to one bolded post.

Turn in most of it anyway.

Buy enough to make a chalice with, then store it back at the Coven HQ (can I still have it recorded in my inventory, though, so that I don't forget that I have it?).

Browse his inventory.

Accept, and begin learning pyromancy. Try to learn a "burn heal" spell first, if I'm allowed to/that's part of the curriculum.

Accept (provided that this is just a one-time thing, and not a continual obligation), and spend a bit of time doing parlor tricks and such for onlookers, with the stated goal of trying to improve the health of the general population by encouraging people to eat healthier foods.
You get £5.

Done (£30).

He wants the magical items, he provides the cash. Probably some idiot government agent with magical Sight who hasn't figured out that his superiors won't understand/see the magical artifacts he brings in. Worth selling stuff noone else would buy to, anyway.

The rasta pyromancer-cook is very happy to teach you how to heal burns. A speciality of his, given his penchant for grilling delicious chicken while high. Pyromancy, as far as you understand it, is a bit like yoga: all about coming to terms with yourself, being at peace, all that, while also honing your body. You also get your own pyromancy Flame, a living part of you. It will grow stronger if you feed it certain things, though he didn't really expand much on what you can feed it.

You can also Create Flame (one puissance). It just creates a small, temporary flame where your hand is, nothing you couldn't do with a big lighter. You still wander around trying it with an idiotic grin for the better part of an hour.

Next up, the grocery place. You do a couple of magic tricks and things, create a few tongues of flame in your palm, all that. The grocery store owners don't seem unhappy, just a bit confused, and a handful of people watch. The avacado demon exfoliates your skin a bit, but doesn't seem too impressed.

Aaaanyway. How are you going to respond to the muggers?

Only a few hours left in the day: please don't start anything new and massive if you want to be there for the start of mission three.

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 21, 2017, 12:27:54 pm »

(Want the hair thing so as to have a notification of when stuff kicks in.  I'm also expecting the ridiculous full-waifu description to build.)

Does Amdukias want me to go on that mission?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 01:32:38 pm by Devastator »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 21, 2017, 12:35:41 pm »

Flash Muggers, Shoot muggers, Ride off to Vince's place.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 21, 2017, 01:47:07 pm »

(Want the hair thing so as to have a notification of when stuff kicks in.  I'm also expecting the ridiculous full-waifu description to build.)

Does Amdukias want me to go on that mission?
Amdukias hasn't expressed an interest, or given you any tasks, so he probably doesn't care. Waiting for you to gain some power.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 21, 2017, 02:15:53 pm »

...Hmm.
Wander a bit.  Look for interesting stuff (for a nerd, you know?)
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 21, 2017, 03:09:11 pm »

Aight.  I'll try to squeeze it in, but it'll probably be a couple more turns before I'm ready.  (feel free to stop this in mid-execution if it's too much.)

Go hang out in some coffee shops, or gallery spaces or bookstores to try and find a local artist who would be interested in collaborating.  Use the sketchbook (and a little seduction) to help things along.  Make sure to find someone who can draw people, and has some sort of a web presence, as I'm starting from zero.

Then spend the next few days writing up posts.  Do some posts travelogue style (or travel-blog), introducing the readers to places in magical london I've been and recounting experiences and such.  The other kind of posts will be stuff introducing people to the storyline of the OC, and be where powers and plotlines and such are done.

(If that works and I can feel some power earned, I'll describe what abilities to try and introduce another turn.)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 11:17:11 pm by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: May 21, 2017, 06:04:56 pm »

Get there by air, of course. I've got an ungraded broom and 3 agility.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: May 21, 2017, 06:25:41 pm »

Back at the performance:
Try sculpting my hand-flames into vegetable-like shapes.

At the mugging:
"Very well, then."

Use my glass eye to pinpoint the muggers' locations, then reach into my pocket (or wherever my hammerspace is), touch my tupperware container, and murder all of the muggers with my summoned worm. Loot the bodies (if there's anything left of them), then head back to base. If any of the muggers survived and saw something magical, restrain and heal the magical mugger with my paintbrush (paint flesh over wounds and paint flesh between the ends of the mugger's limbs and his torso), then carry him with me back to base (in a more covert fashion, of course) and present him to Vince.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 06:34:33 pm by ATHATH »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: May 29, 2017, 02:58:55 am »

Bumpity.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re: COVEN: Mission Two Finished
« Reply #478 on: May 30, 2017, 06:05:10 am »

It's been awhile, hasn't it?  Is the war bacon supply running low?  If so, Ben will go out and plant a bullet in some homeless dude's skull, and take a leg or two to refill our fridge.
It has.

You go out and near-silently murder a homeless man, then chop a leg off and wrap it in a handy tarpaulin, then go back to Vince's for a roast. As it says in that Dating Advice book you either wrote or hallucinated, a good provider will always put food on the table.

Back at the performance:
Try sculpting my hand-flames into vegetable-like shapes.

At the mugging:
"Very well, then."

Use my glass eye to pinpoint the muggers' locations, then reach into my pocket (or wherever my hammerspace is), touch my tupperware container, and murder all of the muggers with my summoned worm. Loot the bodies (if there's anything left of them), then head back to base. If any of the muggers survived and saw something magical, restrain and heal the magical mugger with my paintbrush (paint flesh over wounds and paint flesh between the ends of the mugger's limbs and his torso), then carry him with me back to base (in a more covert fashion, of course) and present him to Vince.
I assume you keep your stuff in your pockets. But you can summon demons with your mind alone, you don't keep the container.

So using the demon, eh?

Rit: 4+3 vs 3,4

You yank the toad out of whatever acidic slime-hell it dwells in and out of the wall behind the two muggers. You're showered with fragments of brick and droplets of acid as it catches them completely off-guard, mouth opening and arms flailing wide.

The things just straight-up fucking swallows one of your victims, throat gulping and swelling madly as a tongue like a fire hose yanks him in. Almost as an afterthough, it slashes wildly at the other with each mantis-like leg as it passes over him, spraying acid from its midsection all the while. He survives, though ends up blood-covered and steaming, clothing ragged and burnt.

Eh, he probably won't remember anything except horrific assault. Mortals are pretty good at forgetting about magic.

Re: the performance: you don't have that much control over the flame yet.

Get there by air, of course. I've got an ungraded broom and 3 agility.
Makes sense. You swoop through the skies above the city, standing on a level with the majestic trash-wrymes, the flitting pigeon hive-minds, the scrapping seagull deities snatching oxes and kangaroos from London zoo and devouring them. Standing on a roomba, which gets you a few odd looks from your fellow commuters, though they're mostly just relieved you're not some vigilante bastard in a cape floating around looking for trouble and making everyone's life difficult.

The graveyard itself is pretty quiet, a few people wandering round it. There's only one tomb with an entrance, a locked wooden door against white marble. You press your hand against it, and the lock turns, the door creeping open. A flight of steps awaits below, extending dubiously far down. The walls are lit by flourescent tubes, a sickly glow on the bare concrete. After a few dozen metres, the stairs end, and a marble corridor begins. Shallow alcoves on either side hold stone sarcophagi, handsome and pearl-grey dear departed reclining on top, well-proportioned heads propped up on elbows.

At the end of the corridor a young man sits with his back to you, surrounded by what looks like a meth lab built by a Renaissance artologer. Complete with stuffed crocodile. He turns round, and woah, this guy is chiseled. He wears simple stuff, but those jeans are really form-hugging... enough. You're here to make money, not admire an extremely handsome human male. He greets you politely, opens the box calmly, and performs a few chemical checks on the pinkish shards of crystal inside. He seems satisfied.

"Hey, you want to try some of this stuff? Least I can do for someone capable of such a fast and smooth delivery. We could really use someone of your talents, you know? Don't worry, it's proper product, none of that addictive and dangerous mortal shit. Go on, on the house."

Aight.  I'll try to squeeze it in, but it'll probably be a couple more turns before I'm ready.  (feel free to stop this in mid-execution if it's too much.)

Go hang out in some coffee shops, or gallery spaces or bookstores to try and find a local artist who would be interested in collaborating.  Use the sketchbook (and a little seduction) to help things along.  Make sure to find someone who can draw people, and has some sort of a web presence, as I'm starting from zero.

Then spend the next few days writing up posts.  Do some posts travelogue style (or travel-blog), introducing the readers to places in magical london I've been and recounting experiences and such.  The other kind of posts will be stuff introducing people to the storyline of the OC, and be where powers and plotlines and such are done.

(If that works and I can feel some power earned, I'll describe what abilities to try and introduce another turn.)
Right. You manage to find a slightly jittery young hipster, Dave, who does fairly realistic pencil drawings and has illustrated a few books. His characters are sort of gaunt and spiky, but he's pretty spot-on with the creatures, and doesn't mind working digitally and in colour. He's also fairly enamoured of you, which is useful leverage. You spend some time collaborating on what could be the start of an online graphic novel, which he excitedly tells all his hipster friends about. You get about a thousand people following it, after a day or two, at which point your hair changes length. A number of other physical changes also occur: your jeans and shirts get just a little tighter in places, your eyes slant a little less, your skin gets even clearer and more luminous. In fact, thanks to Dave's style and Amdukias's glamour, you have a scary and unearthly clarity to your features. You also feel a slight buzz of power running through you, though it's not doing anything except making you look good at the moment.

What next?

...Hmm.
Wander a bit.  Look for interesting stuff (for a nerd, you know?)
For a nerd, eh?

Well, you see a bunch of stock traders standing on a balcony high up on a financial building, gesturing at thin skeins of gold that swirl around them like currents, tiny figures glimmering. Blood drips down from the guttering; some sort of sacrifice probably took place.

You wander into a programming lecture in a university and see two huge snakes wrestling on the floor, sprays of blood and venom coating the chairs. It's on real-life applications of Python.

You find a shop full of old, broken tech whose clientele are dressed almost exclusively in black robes and bone ornaments. Some of the unlikely price tags boast of horrific accidents the devices have been involved in, while others involve things that clearly aren't legal tender. The necrotechnician behind the counter glares at you suspisciously while modelling undead apocalypses on a linux setup involving a stuffed raven, a many-ringed human hand and a chunk of mayan calendar. You glance down at the nearest memory stick: it claims to contain Lethe.exe and could be yours for only six inches of rusty barbed wire tied around a sheep skull.

Finally, you come across a hunter peering down into the depths of a sewer. His nets are woven from fine steel mesh, and several steel crab exoskeletons hang from his belt.
"There's a lovely litter down there, almost two hundred eggs. Parents nowhere in sight. Nab one now, and you might domesticate the little blighter. Still, parents never go far from their young, and steel scuttlers are very good at hiding... it's a risk."

Flash Muggers, Shoot muggers, Ride off to Vince's place.
You execute the two mortals as they try to recover from the flash, then ride on back. Would have rolled for it, but you can blind people, they have no chance with no magical defence.

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 30, 2017, 07:57:33 am »

Next order of business is to get a recording device and to designate some powers.

First, buy a backpack so I can carry more stuff than just what's in my hands.  Second, head to a public library, (or wherever's most convienent) and write up the first of the storyline posts.  List the MC as a human magic user called a witch, and list her witch powers as the following:

First, magic sight that can be toggled, and a spell that allows someone or something else to see the magical world temporarily.  It's the explanation for the videos and such that will later follow.  It's also the method of filming said videos.  The on/off effect should be useful for filming purposes as well, as it'll lead to some good visuals.

Witch powers are generally elemental, but how they are expressed is individual to each particular witch.  She has light, which allows her to create bursts of light and to cast basic illusions at short range, with no substance.  Nothing that moves, although she can disguise something that does.

I'm going to need disguise abilities sooner rather than later.

The world described is similar to the real one, except with no mention of demon names or specific demons, although demons in general are okay.  Do mention how humans are essentially cattle for many magical beings, creatures, gods, etc, magical users not exempt.

E-mail these posts to Dave, apologizing and saying that I'll be running around for the next few days and will keep in touch.  Tell Dave this would be the start of the main plotline.  Also, I'd like to kick off the storyline as if it was set at about now, and that the current plotline will be set a while before now, when the character arrived in London.  It'll also allow for the old version of the character to be more amazed at the exploration aspects and the new sights than the current one.

As for the recording device, there should be a college or university campus somewhere.  While using the public computer, look up the name of someone running a research group, preferably a student researcher or a project seeking student volunteers.  Then proceed to the campus in question, find the A/V desk, and use that researchers name to justify borrowing a video camera with the necessary accessories.  When out of sight of the desk, move the camera gear to the backpack.  Then walk away.

After that, head to Vince's place and see if there's basic cooking gear there, such as a stove and a few pots, as I'd like to work on something for a wand and need something like that.  If there aren't any such things, go out and buy an electric hotplate and a saucepan.  Two saucepans, as at least one of them is going to contain something poisionous.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:48:24 pm by Devastator »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 86