Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 86

Author Topic: COVEN: Gulled Goldsmiths and Lost Locomotives  (Read 153823 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN: Preparing for Mission Two
« Reply #240 on: March 30, 2017, 10:35:51 pm »

Go redeem my slip, then.

Check out what the magical shops sell.

Do I have no Puissance? Is that going to be a problem for my aspirations of becoming a summoner?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 30, 2017, 11:04:03 pm »

People with 0 Puissant fettle seem to get 5 max Puissance.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 31, 2017, 01:55:40 am »

Yeah, you get a bit of puissance and shitty regen.

Weird that nobody maxed puissance yet. It's kinda the mainstat for staffs and wands.
One wheel short of a wagon

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 31, 2017, 03:13:00 am »

Well, I'm trying to make a melee character with an alternative to magic swords for the moment. Mainly since valiantly retrieving material isn't really a decent option currently.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN: Cannibalism and Nostalgia
« Reply #244 on: March 31, 2017, 01:54:05 pm »

Acquire a roomba.
There's a really cheap one for £49.00 at a dodgy hardware store. You get hold of it, but can have a refund in the next turn if you want.

...Yes, it does look big enough to stand on.

Looks like you'll be scavenging from dumps for other magical tools. It can be done. In fact, you're pretty sure that's how poor people and servants find their clothes and things.

I go Lookin for a cheap Italian restaurant for Lunch.
You have a scrappy £10 lunch at a local place. It actually doesn't taste too bad, for Italian food out of Italy, but not a spot on mother's oyster rigatoni...

You shed a silent tear for the old country.

Then Goethe turns up, wanting you to write a rune on something he wants to make into a chalice.

It should be about 1:00 when we got back. Probably fell asleep around 1:30. Wake up around 9:30, have breakfast, buy a small pint (like Ben and Jerry's)of chocolate ice cream, preferably brownie batter or something, and have Jimmy place his Bethel rune on the bottom of it in beast blood. Then, when it's melty but still cold, mix in the remaining beast blood (save a single tablespoon), a pinch of my own fur, and add a single Puissant clot to make a chalice. Then, go to the Magic marketplace, and look for small objects that could make a good piece of a wand. Takes then space of sphere 1 to 2 inches in diameter, preferably. Maybe with relation to a beast of some sort.

Jimmy, will you write your Bethel runs on my chalice, please?
Jimmy... is elsewhere eating lunch. You manage to track him down and turn up to his table, but I don't know if he'll write the rune without payment.

You assemble all the ingredients for the chalice.

Eh... doesn't make chronological sense, but whatever happens with Jimmy you go to the magic market.

Located in a non-Euclidean twist in space near the centre of the city, the entrance squeezed between the overpriced burger tent and the vintage mole-leather jacket stall in a hipstery farmers market, the trading centre is packed and bustling, stalls all around you, and, due to the odd physical nature of the place, overhead as well. Actually, you can see yourself overhead... this probably isn't something one should think about too much.

The stalls themselves... hmm... not many places suit your interests. Not the sheep-product guy with the golden fleece on his arm, not the multidimensional booze salesman, certainly not the gunfarmers lovingly stroking pristine automatics as they shiver and twitch away from the hands of their new owners... No, the only places that you find that might work are the gem salesman and the object procurer.

The gem stall is one of the most popular in the marketplace. Laid out on a long, closely guarded table are rows and rows of the gems mentioned in your weapons pamphlet. No reason why one of those shouldn't go in your wand. But unless you have high-quality magical items, other gems, or more than a thousand pounds, you won't be buying anything from there.

The object procurer, one of those on the fringe of the magical world who work with mortals and mundane things, promises to get you any reasonably inexpensive object from the motral world you like, for a relatively small amount of money or magical item of any quality.

Your arm is also grabbed, as you enviously gaze at the rows of fire, ice, shadow, cavitation, brine, etc gems, by someone who introduces themselves as the chit merchant. A sort of exchange system, he owns numerous "chits", small slips of paper, that can be exchanged for items of certain values in the market - gems, f'r'instance. You can get one of these chits even without money or valuable items, as chits can be exchanged for tasks or favours. You do a job or errand for someone, you get a chit. Might miss out on a mission though, if the task is lengthy. Or fatal.

buy a pocket knife that is longer than a pen, and try to put a clot in it to make a wand.
You get a pocket knife from the nearest hardware store. On the way out you bump into an undead pirate, other people's bones and limbs hanging from the scraps of rope on his rotting shoulders. He seems nice enough.

The pocket knife turns into a wand admirably, with two spells at this upgrade tier. Down to one clot.

The first spell costs three puissance. It consists of a fast-moving projectile, a sharp edge that cuts through anything softer than metal, the length of your forearm.

The second spell requires six puissance, and seems to make the tageted object grow a two-inch concealed blade that can be flicked in or out, much like the original switchblade.

Go buy some concealing and baggy clothes, like a big trenchcoat and hat.  Then return to the homeless guy, and if nobody's discovered the corpse, chop off a leg and hide it beneath the trenchcoat.  Then return to base and cook it up; share if anyone asks.
You get a fairly ordinary-looking disguise. Lucky hoods are so fashionable these days.

Nobody seems to be around Vince's house or the rented garage with the bunks. You take a liberty with Vince's stove, and soon the aroma of frying flesh begins. Just like in the 'Nam.

Vince's tortoiseshell cat seems pretty interested, so she gets a bit of sizzling calf. As a sign of her appreciation, she carries it out of her bowl to consume on top of a fur coat on the dresser. Vince's house has a lot of things in it.

"Hello! I'm Sir Looti-*cough* I'm sir Ritualington!"
Make my Cane into a staff.
Vince gives you an odd look.

"You better be who you say you are. We don't let no undead join the Coven."

One puissant clot turns your battered wooden cane into a mighty magician's staff. Two spells.

The first, raising it above your head, lengthens and widens it in a burst of gnarly growth into a brutal bludgeon, ideal for crazed clouting and alliterative aggression. It costs one puissance per blow.

The second, planting the staff hard into the ground, transforms it temporarily into a wide and mighty oak tree, trunk blocking doors and even roads, thick roots curling and crushing concrete, branches sending anyone nearby flying as they spring up and out of the trunk in a rush of greenery. Five puissance. Can be used to buffet people away and to block/area deny things.

Go redeem my slip, then.

Check out what the magical shops sell.

Do I have no Puissance? Is that going to be a problem for my aspirations of becoming a summoner?
Not a problem, summoners just need Ritual Strength. And to be alive-ish. And things to summon.

No newbs in the magical market, you aren't aware of the location. You have to survive random and traumatic danger before we let you equip yourself to deal with it, scum.

"Redeem your slip," eh? Well the way these slips work is that you exchange the slip with someone/something magical of your choosing, and get a specific arcane medium from that.

So you can look for certain things (e.g. wizards, monsters) or in certain places (tower blocks, financial buildings, etc), or just choose from a random selection of magical beings you see while wandering around London.

Speaking of which, as you wander around blinking in disbelief at the arcane sights hidden from mortal eyes, you see:
Glass insects the size of buses with bloated abdomens cooking people, a red and toothy toad wearing a suit in the largest financial building in the city, a dark-scaled and horrendous thing of teeth and claws melt into bushes, two shifty men pulling at strands of brick wall and tying them over a closing rent, and a wrinkled, flowing spirit with a wise and wizened face swooping through alleys and leaving trails of soiled newspapers behind him.

I'd like to start the next mission soon, so if you want to be in it please try and make your magical items in a few turns at most.

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 10:21:28 am by NJW2000 »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 31, 2017, 02:09:33 pm »

I Write his thing on his Whats a ma call it.

Next I Head down to the dump and look for the following: a Broom, some bike handles, and a bit of rope, Tie the handles to the broom top in such a way as I could hold on while riding it like a bike, make it into a vehicle, and head back.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 31, 2017, 02:16:36 pm »

Test my new toy.

On a full highway.

There is no way this can go wrong.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 31, 2017, 02:18:53 pm »

Buy some tape with my remaining 1 pound. Go for a walk around the park, looking for any flowers I could pick that would be long enough for a wand. Specifically a thorny rose would be perfect. While I'm at it, keep an eye out for edible herbs; picking those is a witchy thing to do.

Go to the the dump and find some sharp bits to tape to the front of my roomba, and anything symbolically helpful to tape to my wand.
Once sharp stuff is attached, go ahead and clot up the roomba as a broom.

Question: can brooms be controlled without physically touching them? As in, could I control one to come to me?

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 31, 2017, 02:42:37 pm »

...the fang could work, though I'd hoped to use it for a pendant of some sort if someone obtained a good rune for it. Anyway, past me adds one clot to the chalice. Present me sees if the fang will fit reasonably well at the end of either one, and if so, uses that bone for a staff, or wand if it's too short. Apply some blood to the top half to third of the bone and the very tip of the fang, and apply some fur to the middle part, for comfort (upper middle for staff, lower middle for wand). Add a tad bit of my own fur to the part close to the fang, and add the clot.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Re: COVEN: Cannibalism and Nostalgia
« Reply #249 on: March 31, 2017, 05:37:25 pm »

"Ey, anyone want some war bacon?  Tastes just like normal bacon, but it's a thicker cut 'cause I ain't some pussy hippy who can't chew!"

Ben'll offer the bacon to his comrades again, then store any leftovers (including the raw meat, if it wasn't all cooked) in the fridge.  Or just wherever if Vince doesn't have a fridge.  Then back out into the streets--it's time to find a real gun, perhaps in some surely-euclidean twist in space near the centre of the city.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 31, 2017, 08:08:39 pm »

ignoring bacon-boy, he would decide to check the dumps for anything worth salvaging.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 07:21:39 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 31, 2017, 08:36:43 pm »

ignoring bacon-boy, he would get another idea and try to buy a wristwatch. This time, he tries to convert it into a "staff" in hopes of interesting results.
You can't make a staff out of a wristwatch; staves require relatively long, firm objects, I'd say more than 2 feet. You can use the pocketwatch as an addition to the staff before you make it, though the cost of the watch may make it hard to obtain a good body for it. Alternatively, you could turn the watch into a pendant or talisman, which are pretty much one-use-per-mission abilities. They prefer to be close-quarters and ranged, respectively.

For a staff with the pocketwatch/time motif, I'd say to buy a few spare clock parts, find the pendulum thing used for grandfather clocks (either in a shop or in a dump), adhere the parts to the pendulum, and make that the staff. In fact, I have spare clock parts I can give you, and I can buy the pendulum from the object procurer for you...the latter perhaps at a handling fee.

Also, (this is for me) make a note to ask Vince about using weapons to make other weapons (such as a pendant for a staff).
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 31, 2017, 09:16:16 pm »

Ocean soul: as far as I am aware, the only limitations on it are the same as a wand. The difference is that a stave is defensively/melee-focused, possibly both.
My intent is to make a stave "shield"  to go with my wand "dagger".

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 31, 2017, 09:30:31 pm »

Not sure how I didn't consider the watch's length unfurled. Then again, making it a wand in it's unfurled state may make it permanently unfurled. Oh well, should be interesting.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 01, 2017, 05:02:32 am »

Failure on my part there; didn't write the weapon list correctly. Staffs should be at least a metre in length, staff-sized, if you will. Sorry.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 86