Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 86

Author Topic: COVEN: Gulled Goldsmiths and Lost Locomotives  (Read 153517 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN: Mission Three - Open World
« Reply #870 on: November 02, 2017, 12:30:51 am »

You don't want to kill it, but I do. More clots. And I think space god is saying it'll give me shit if I kill it.
Tell you what- I'll let you kill it if you promise to go kill the unkillable monk-guy that I mentioned earlier. Otherwise, I am NOT letting you murder a weak-willed brute that is ripe for the mind controlling.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: November 04, 2017, 12:44:33 pm »

1)Find my best knife then ask the necromancer if he has anything sharper for a phylactery I want to make. Otherwise find a way to sharpen my best knife.
2)Ask him to make the knife a phylactery that impales on the hearts of people to drain their energy so I can finaly be a lich.
3)Get or ask for super glue and stick the thing on the end of my mop broom, then add extra tape and bandages to keep it in place.

He looks at the knife, bends it a little, and shakes his head disapprovingly, before disappearing into the kitchen and rummaging through various drawers. Finally, he pulls out an length of dark yellow ivory, the width of your hand and as long as your forearm, which ends in a very sharp point indeed. Serrations run down one side, short spikes pulling up along a smooth edge.

"Dragon tooth."

Looks very sharp.

"It'll cost you... wait a sec, I'll see if your Coven has any setup for this sort of thing."

The necromancer pulls a wall panel back, and starts typing into a keyboard attached to a crystallized skull. The idea of Vince giving you things for free is very unlikely. Though you suppose there's full medical, if you can carry your limbs back.

"Yeah, says there's a single unspent chit marked for the Coven in Central Market for some reason... you guys got credit then?... nope, you're in the black, weird, people normally spend these immediately. Well, you've got money to spend. Nothing big, but ought to cover the tooth. Long as you don't mind cashing in the cheque, the tooth is yours."

He helps you attach the tooth to the broom. The tooth itself is the phylactery, and is very strong indeed, but he recommends strengthening the broom anyway.

After half a dozen skeletons have been swept from a table, you get up on it, and he preps the dragon tooth, ready to stab you with it. He makes sure you aren't having any second thoughts before he starts.

This will decrease one of your magical stats by one (you choose), btw. But that'll be pretty neglible compared to the necromantic advantages. You sure you want to turn into a lich? Just say the word, and you're a life-draining undead monster.

Sift through the medications, looking for anti-psychotics.  Dump them all out and be systematic if necessary.  After they've all been sorted through, dump everything except antipsychotics back into the trash bags, and stick all of those into Vince's fridge/freezer, marked "Not yours".

Take an antipsychotic, if any were found.
You crouch on the floor of Vince's living room with hundreds of pills spread out on the carpet. You manage to get two boxes full of Olanzapine, and take one. It'll take a while to kick in though, and you've never believed in wasting time. Shoving the bin bags full of assorted pharmaceuticals back into the fridge, you mark them as clearly as you can. You tell Vince he can sample a few of the not antipsychotics, though. Being a good guest is important.

Can I assume that Bella is updating me on events as they occur?

So, if these three space aliens are connected somehow, maybe they form a rock-paper-scissors triangle with each other or can be fused into one being or something(?).

See if the defense-alien (the giant slug) has shed anything. If so, examine the sheddings and burn them in order to learn a pyromancy (which will hopefully be helpful in dealing with the offense-alien).

Present the effect produced by my hypnotism pyromancy (which I learned from the mind-alien) to the defense-alien. If I can get its attention, flare power into the flame, then use the defense-alien's focus on the flame as a channel to extend a metaphysical/spiritual tendril from my hypnotism flame (and thus my inner flame) into its empty mind, hopefully granting me some kind of (permanent?) control over it.

No.
Is that a question?

The alien has not shed anything. Though you're not sure how you would burn its skin if it had... the creature is clearly capable of resisting reentry temperatures.

You create a hypnotic flame in front of the creature. Nothing happens. Right, eyes closed. You can fix that, you're great at that sort of thing.

Prac: 2+3

You somehow produce a length of metal from a nearby shrubbery, fine as a makeshift crowbar. After lubricating it in a bit of engine oil, you manage to slip it underneath an eyelid. Pulling with all of his strength, Sen manages to lift the lid a few metres, jamming the metal vertically between the base and the lid of the eye. The visual organ beneath is barely softer than the skin: obsidian black and translucent enough that you can see a few inches within, the eye has no white, pupil, iris or anything like that. It is all one texture, tiny motes of deep blue floating in the black.

The crowbar is on the verge of crumpling as the eye closes again when you create a tall pale blue flame. The light emanating from your hand is reflected in the darkness in the eyeball as it shimmers and whirls. Creakingly, several other eyes open nearby, each regarding the slice of starlight you hold.

Ritual: 3+3

With a grinding felt in the bones, the thing start moving towards you. Still very slowly, but slightly faster than before. Given a few hours or so, it'll cover the twenty metres between you and it.

Well, you have its undivided attention.

"I can't be sure. London has a lot of big greedy things in it. Perhaps you could tell me what I'm looking for and I could ask my associates if they've seen such a thing?
Would you tell me more about the star if I helped you?"

action
"The creature occupies a mundane space five hundred thousand times the one you inhabit. It affects an illusion while it moves alone upon the earth, hiding it from prying mortal eyes. It gives or reflects little light, and unaided travels more slowly than your kind, having even less wisdom or swiftness of thought. It is also far denser."

"If you desire it, information may be a reward."

Get the attention of the target dots and try to not get hit
You run about a bit, and some of the target dots obligingly follow you.

Agility: 1+3

You almost shake them off, but not quite. You could maybe dodge them on a good day, but there's a very real risk of being lasered into bacon chunks if you ever go up against this thing.

Go walk in.  Turn my disguise up to 11, this time it's okay to look inhumanly beautiful.  Or whatever beyond that is.  Then move in, hang up the phone, and sit on his desk.  Tell him to stop being an idiot, and to think about things before calling the cops.  Maybe this is some kind of odd joke.  Maybe she's innocent, and calling the cops will ruin her life for something that didn't actually happen.  Maybe the key drive doesn't contain what the note says it does.

If it's all true, however, he's got a rare opportunity here.  Tell him I'm a figment of his imagination, and keep the disguise shifting from one thing to another, along with some playing with the light projections to convince him.  Talk him into not scotching the plan here and now.. after all, he can always sit on the money and wait, can always check if the money manager was good at covering her tracks before cashing in, lots of ways to take this carefully and play it safe.  Tell him to just tell the cops that he lost his cellphone or something and called them to report it got stolen.  He can always report this later, if he is worried about getting caught, but a chance this big shouldn't be rejected right away.  Leave the office in a flash of light once I'm convinced he's settled enough, and before the cops show up.  If the cops do arrive while I'm in here, wave the stone and tell the cops that they can't see or hear me.  They might not even show up, and just phone back or something.. and if he'll talk them out of it over the phone, so much the better.

Assuming that goes well, leave and then call Dave and tell him I'm ready to put up more content, but I've got a few errands to run first.  Ask him to come up with a design for an OC.. a non-human creature who Nanami works for.  Then clean up the loose ends with the financial manager, by packing up some belongings, killing her immediate family, and going down to a train station and withdrawing the daily maxium of cash while disguised as her.  Killing her family might be tricky, if she had some magical blood one or more of them might be casters, so sneak up, disguise myself, and shoot first.  After that, ditch the evidence and head over to Dave's.

Gulp. Evidently not the time to do things by halves. You make yourself look eight feet tall, with a pearly aura extending from your body, impossibly perfect bone structure, skin like silk stretched over porcelain, hair white as a magnesium flame, and push whatever power you got from the cult to the maximum. The overall effect is of about two thirds ecstasy and one third terror. You walk into the man's office with a hurried stumble that looks like an elegant drift, while a middle-aged advertising director has a heart attack behind you.

The CEO just stops talking when he sees you, jaw dropped and pupils contracting against the radiant glow. He can't do any more than nod as you talk to him, blankly accepting what you tell him. He tells the police it was a mistake and hangs up, unable to stop staring at the illusion.

You give him the "figment of imagination" spiel, telling him you're the voice of pure reason and all that. You convince him to consider taking the money, before fading the room to white and leaving just as your puissance runs out.

"Acceptable," comes Amdukias' growl over the speakers, "but next time, don't just use brainwashing or obvious magic. Also, try not appearing like a bloody angel if you're trying to tempt somebody. You can keep your power though... for now."

You call Dave back, and he's pretty excited at the chance to get his own ideas in. The manager's family, if she has one, is not home - perhaps she said something about her husband working abroad? Anway, you get the cash (£500) and purchase train tickets while disguised as her, then get on a train to Scotland before stepping off the train as you and walking back out. You turn up uninvited at Dave's house.

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: November 04, 2017, 01:01:09 pm »

-1 Puissant fettle. Become a lich.
Also how do I strengthen my mop without using Clots?
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: November 04, 2017, 01:17:12 pm »

He means physically. Replace the handle with something harder. Seeing as you're using it as a weapon and food source.
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: November 04, 2017, 01:25:32 pm »

"Yeah, says there's a single unspent chit marked for the Coven in Central Market for some reason... you guys got credit then?... nope, you're in the black, weird, people normally spend these immediately. Well, you've got money to spend. Nothing big, but ought to cover the tooth. Long as you don't mind cashing in the cheque, the tooth is yours."

You bastard.

"Ah, that works!"

Bella procures her phone from her pocket and dials Sir Worthington.

"Hey dude! Just asking, would you happen to have seen a creature the size of a building, with really dense black skin, that fell from the sky and hides behind an illusion and moves really slowly? It would be really helpful if you'd seen something like that."

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: November 04, 2017, 01:30:54 pm »

He means physically. Replace the handle with something harder. Seeing as you're using it as a weapon and food source.
How much would it cost to buy a steel handle replacement for it?
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: November 04, 2017, 01:56:24 pm »

(Also, I believe I should have 745 pounds now, with the cash from her account.  Less the train ticket.)

That was crude.  Next time I gotta get more than 48 hours.  Still, could have done that with a little more finesse..

Eh, I told Dave I'd be coming over after running a few errands, and he did call me earlier.  Shouldn't be any problem.  Bringing or buying food should help if there's any friction.

Put on the stunning look Dave is used to.  Knock on his door.  Work on the next post or two with Dave, see what he came up for for Nanami's boss, and go with it.  Introduce characters for Bella and Ben, albeit Ben will have a different face (if still an old grungy soldier), and Bella will have red hair and a 'wind' spell to enhance her significant speed, along with her top-tier broom.  Her fire magic will just be generic fire magic with her pyromancy abilities rather than explaining the detailed effects of a pyromancy flame, (which Nanami doesn't know anyway), and she's speed obsessed.  Ben has magic, but it just makes him a better fighter and it doesn't seem to work quite the same way for him as it is for the more normal teammates.  Offer Dave the opportunity to come up with another teammate or two for the next session.

Don't cover the exact things that happened, but have our mission being investigating leads related to some high-end power source, that may be being used for nefarious purposes.  Cover stuff related to the cult observation, and talking with the river spirit, but not the combat at the canal-side yet.  Change a few details, like maybe give the gryphon cult a different sacred object, and have the river spirit be in a different body of water.  After that, do a travelogue entry as well.  Leave many of the travel sketches with Dave, and invite him to do posts about a couple of them, and to add a couple of his own if he'd like.  What I'm waiting for is for the cut-off hair to regrow and to see if any other changes occur.  Don't try intentionally for any new powers, just to put out some new content so they don't wear off, and to fulfill my promise to Bella.

After those, it's time to get back to work and see what my teammates have been up to.
Bird size = 0
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 01:10:14 pm by Devastator »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: November 04, 2017, 03:18:59 pm »

Bella procures her phone from her pocket and dials Sir Worthington.

"Hey dude! Just asking, would you happen to have seen a creature the size of a building, with really dense black skin, that fell from the sky and hides behind an illusion and moves really slowly? It would be really helpful if you'd seen something like that."
"Sorry, Bella, I can't really talk right now; I'm trying to mind-control this really big, really slow, nigh-invulnerable slug-thing. It seems to have magical abilities of some kind, as it was cloaked in an illusion when I got here. So far, I've managed to wake it up and get it to follow me, which is a start. I'm gonna see what exposing it to the mind-control rocks does, since they were what dispelled the illusion earlier. Wish me luck!"

((Yeah, I've pretty much dropped the English accent; I don't really know how to keep it going further. Just imagine my dialogue being spoken in an English-sounding voice or something.))

Flare all 5 of my puissance into my Mesmerizing Flame while waving a mind-control rock around with the hand that isn't holding the flame and focusing really hard, aiming to trap the creature's mind within the flame. Then, once its mind is trapped, retract my Mesmerizing Flame back into my inner flame, aiming to transfer the creature's mind from being within my Mesmerizing Flame to being inside my inner flame, thus permanently surrounding its will with mine.

See if I can order the creature's body around now, preferably through whatever connection its trapped mind still has to its body.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: November 04, 2017, 06:10:15 pm »

"Ah, cool. Okay, where are you?"

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: November 04, 2017, 06:21:52 pm »

"Ah, cool. Okay, where are you?"
Tell her my location.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: November 04, 2017, 09:02:56 pm »

"Alright, see you soon!"

"Hey big eldritch thing, I found the big corporeal beastie you wanted. Apparently another witch is trying to mind control it, which sounds like a terrible idea if you ask me, but I know where it is and could show you. Are you going to come along or do I need to kill the thing myself? If so, have any idea what the best way to kill it is?"

Talk to the... eldritch thingy. Then fly to where Worthington tells me the slug thing is.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: November 04, 2017, 09:05:53 pm »

"Alright, see you soon!"

"Hey big eldritch thing, I found the big corporeal beastie you wanted. Apparently another witch is trying to mind control it, which sounds like a terrible idea if you ask me, but I know where it is and could show you. Are you going to come along or do I need to kill the thing myself? If so, have any idea what the best way to kill it is?"

Talk to the... eldritch thingy. Then fly to where Worthington tells me the slug thing is.
If you kill my adorable pet giant slug, I swear to my demonic patron I will KILL you (or just incapacitate you, if I'm in a good mood).

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: November 04, 2017, 10:22:17 pm »

And if you threaten me IC, I'll kill you.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Re: COVEN: Mission Three - Open World
« Reply #883 on: November 04, 2017, 10:51:27 pm »

Check P90 for ammo.  If it regenerated magically, Ben will assume Bella reloaded his gun for him.  If it did not, syv will assume it never ever will.  I'd like a very clear and explicit answer to this question.

Then hang around with Vince.  Maybe tell him a war story while helping with non-insane chores.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: November 04, 2017, 11:10:10 pm »

And if you threaten me IC, I'll kill you.
Y'know, if you'd just ask me for permission to kill the slug, I could help you betray and/or worm out of your agreement with the third alien. This doesn't have to end in violence.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 86