Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 86

Author Topic: COVEN: Gulled Goldsmiths and Lost Locomotives  (Read 153711 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN: Mission Three - Open World
« Reply #840 on: October 26, 2017, 04:38:06 am »

Look around just incase something IS watching us,if i find it i try to kill it
"You can watch, but I do not think you can touch, slowpoke~"

Fly on over to the crater and investigate. If anything comes at me, doooooodge! If it's something what can't be dodged, parry it.
Steve stands guard, as Bella flies in circles over the scorched patch. Weirdly, it's just scorched earth and charred grass in a rune-like pattern, as if a great deal of energy had passed into the ground.

To her surprise, something responds to Bella's taunt. Light and choral, it sounds uncomfortably close to her ear.

"Wouldn't bet on it, mageling."

A series of green dots play over her head and torso. The magical equivalent of sniper marks, perhaps.

Groups of light blue and red runes rise from the ground around Steve, and move about him curiously. They recieve a good slash for their trouble, and dissolve into random splashes of magical energy. The runes withdraw at once, and sturdier lines of white light come out of the ground, swirl into a complex knot, and send a barrage of lasers at him feet, thick beams of energy that burn several feet into the ground. The message is clear: a warning.

You can hurt the creature, but it can hurt you worse.

The voice sounds again.

"You. Gadfly. The star that fell, where is it? I can sense the cosmos on you. Few things would give you such a celestial mark."
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: October 26, 2017, 10:07:51 am »

"Landed in the canal. I'm pretty sure I killed the thing, or at least fucked up it's body. I put the magic energy into this broom and pawned off some bits of rock. If you want those I could show you who to murder. Or I could just show you where the thing fell."

Do a shitting BARREL ROLL.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: October 26, 2017, 10:21:08 am »

I pressed post? So that's where that went. Okay, rest of update coming in... a bit. More work than expected.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: October 26, 2017, 10:46:25 am »

(Why are you telling the bad thing where to find it's power-source?)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: October 26, 2017, 10:51:27 am »

((Bella isn't much for scheming or lying. And hey, maybe it will make something interesting happen.))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: October 26, 2017, 10:53:39 am »

(You're already facing something that can easily kill you right now.  What more do you want?

You also didn't kill the thing that fell in the canal.)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 10:56:36 am by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: October 26, 2017, 10:56:09 am »

((I refuse to believe that anything can beat Bella in a straight fight. Yeah, sure, I might die when people trick me into drinking strange liquids, but this is totally safe!))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: October 26, 2017, 10:57:17 am »

(Do fight this thing, then.  Please don't kill everyone's characters due to your own being an idiot.)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: October 26, 2017, 12:02:48 pm »

((Nope. I do everything I can to extend my character death curse to everyone else. It's why I started my own lethal game, you know.))

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: October 27, 2017, 01:45:09 pm »

(Full turn when?)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: October 27, 2017, 03:17:28 pm »

Eh... a fair biti later. I have not been managing certain committments sensibly. Sry.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: October 29, 2017, 06:05:36 am »

(bump)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: October 30, 2017, 06:23:18 am »

((Are you talking about that time I shoot you with a bone? Sorry.))
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re: COVEN: Mission Three - Back
« Reply #854 on: October 31, 2017, 02:23:27 pm »

The best solution to many problems is "Bullets".  However, I will admit that this is a rare exception: the best solution is "Bullet", singular.

And then fleeing.
You shoot the policeman - community support officer rather - and make your escape. Doing so is getting harder and harder, and it takes almost half an hour of running and hiding before you're completely confident that you've shaken them off. Still, you have the assorted "drugs" - though come to think of it, most of them are probably prophylactics or laxatives of some sort rather than real good stuff.

(Sorry about the wall of text.  It's what happens when I have too much time to plan.  ;-p)
There is never too much time to plan. Well, I guess that there could be a few corner cases, but saying "almost never" kind of ruins the effect, no?

Call Vince and tell him about the giant slug (and what we've found out about it). Ask him what we should do about it- should we kill it, mesmerize it (with my mesmerization spell), befriend it, follow it, send it back into space, what?

Can I assume that Nanami has told me about the mind-control-y effects of channeling puissance into the space rocks? Did she need to invest a puissant clot into her space rock in order to be able to do that?
Vince replies that all of those things are good if they profit the Coven or at least don't get in the way. If it's going for the thing you need, you're going to have to kill it or get it out the way somehow.

You can't assume that, according to Dev. She didn't need a clot (ooc info there).

"Landed in the canal. I'm pretty sure I killed the thing, or at least fucked up it's body. I put the magic energy into this broom and pawned off some bits of rock. If you want those I could show you who to murder. Or I could just show you where the thing fell."

Do a shitting BARREL ROLL.

"You cannot kill what is not living. And what I seek has not a body, strange one. Perhaps you vanquished and bespoiled Them of Us that moves in the mind and is carried by the body? Glad tidings, though it would have posed little threat. Have you knowledge of the Leviathan, the sluggish great one of the body that moves with greed and without thought? I desire it finished, that the star may be mine alone. You might be rewarded greatly for aid in such a venture."

Agility: 4+2

You do something that might be called a barrel roll, but is really just a forwards loop performed while corkscrewing faster than the eye can follow. Not that it matters, as nobody on the ground can even see you at this speed. The target dots lose track for a second, then snap back onto you as you resume flying in circles. Dodging this thing would be bloody dangerous, but possible, especially if someone were distracting it.

Ask for directions to the necromancer that could make me into a lich then go there. Do I need my phylactery to be able to physically eat or be used for eating or just magicaly draining substenance is possible (Like a wand or any kind of ranged weapon)? I want to know if I could use the knife on the end of my flying mop as a phylactery and just stab my enemies from afar while the knife magically drains their blood or life energy without me having to drink the blood. Like some sort of sentient magical vampiric spear-mop of flying.
You go to the place recommended, a sleazy venue squeezed between the nightclub-filled Soho and festive Chinatown. You bow to several bearded golden serpents coiling above the rooftops and hissing cordial greetings, and turn down an invitation to a gay lycanthrope bar. Neighboured by a massage parlour run by some six-armed imp and a perfectly normal dumpling counter, you walk up to a second flaw apartment completely filled with skeletons.

It's something of a surprise. It's just a lot more skeletons than you were expecting. About three hundred all told, spread through a bedroom and a kitchen. Mostly hung from ceiling and walls, or piled on the floor among the occasional book or power tool. A guy in scruffy but ornate robes stands in the middle, doing some dental work on a disembodied skull. He finishes as you come in, and both people look round, the skull clacking its new diamond-edged dentures appreciatively.

"Thanks Frank. Always a pleasure. No, it's fine, I'll bill the company. Special discount anyway. Love your work. Totally thinking of employing you guys when I get my own crypt. If the diamond chips, come back to me or see a jeweller."

The skeleton levitates from the table, nods to you (a disconcerting experience), and floats out.

"Sooo... what can I do for you, my... medical friend?"

The phylactery needs to be capable of some kind of consumption: can't really be ranged. The victim has to put something in, be it a body part, attention, interest, whatever. A knife on the end of a broom would do. It would feed on impaled hearts or something, basically death-energies. You probably want to have a strong blade and tie it to the broom with something a bit stronger than duct tape, given that this thing will become an important part of you. And the guy will lich you if you like, on the understanding that the Coven will send some business his way if they can.

Of course it's the same canal.  Now I gotta go talk to the river spirit again, apologize and get it to show me what's up.  And figure out how to work underwater.

(As per lockpicks, sometimes I might want to break into somewhere and not make it blatantly obvious the place has been broken into.)

Since she isn't into Nanami, better leverage will be to come from another direction.  This meeting is going to be about business.  The goal is to talk her out of the money, or force it out of her in some way, along with getting enough background for the last step, which involves handing the stolen info to the CEO, along with a note claiming that the money manager was stealing for years, and this is the CEOs cut, should he not reveal her fraud.

Pick one of three currently-ongoing crises in the world to sell her on Nanami needing the money for:  Rohngyas arriving in Bangladesh, civilians in Mindanao, (from the religious violence and insurgants) and displaced villagers in China or Southeast Asia, due to economic development.  Pick one that isn't being aided by the charity currently.  All three of these have immediate reasons for support now.. The Bangladeshis are cash-strapped and overwhelmed by numbers, Mindanao is currently going through an intense phase of combat, and the current Party Congress in China makes this a very important time to make a difference, as some projects are on momentary halts, and new officials are being named.

Nanami needs the money to be available in the next day or so, in a form that is usable, including instructions on how to redeem the money safely; she isn't going to take no for an answer.

The basic idea is to just talk her into it.  Between the charisma boost, increased time and exposure, and a couple uses of the rock, she might be forced into complying.  If so, great, nothing extreme needs to be done.  Set up a lunch tomorrow to get the info from her, then proceed with step 3.

If it requires more persuasion, (faking being an angel, revealing being a magical being, tuning the illusion further, essentially kidnapping her via mind control, conducting a home invasion, etcetera), Nanami will do it anyway, it's an important mission.  Hopefully something that extreme won't be required.

After it's done, if successful the plan is to get the info, remove the money manager from the office, (lunch appointment, say), kill her with the crystallization spell, pinch her wallet and phone, dumping the body/crystals somewhere.  After that give the info to the CEO, by ducking in when the CEO isn't present (so as to not interact with him), while disguised as the money manager, along with the information on how to redeem it and a text file with the note about the thievery.  If this requires doing it after hours after cleaning up the loose ends, so be it.  That should complete the mission.

As for Nanami's cut, if all that goes okay, go to the money manager's home, kill her immediate family, (crystallization spells, and disguised as her), dispose of the bodies via bagging the crystals in a trash bag and dumping them, steal everything small and easily sellable, and use the money manager's credit/ATM card near a train station, also while disguised as her.  If I couldn't grab her ATM code earlier, it's not that big of a deal.

Without bodies the police will have a very difficult time proving that everyone didn't escape into a life of riches, and so the CEO will have a great explanation for the missing money.

(Sorry about the wall of text.  It's what happens when I have too much time to plan.  ;-p)
You manage to convince the manager that your cause needs money, choosing the Mindanao crisis as a pretext, and when brute-force doesn't work, guilt-trip her into doing it. You tap into some deep psychological issues revolving around whether she is jusitified in taking a salary from the charity and whether they use the money properly, and by the end of the dinner she's broken down into tears. Even after that it takes a while to make her set up the lunch appointment. Annoyingly strong-willed, this woman... possibly some magical blood.

Prac: 6+2

While she still has concerns at lunch the next day, you get access to the money, her ATM number, and her housekeys. After repeatedly firing the crystal wand spell into her head, you take her out to the park to die, the crystals forming in the skull. You toss the body down a manhole cover, a few treants watching you disapprovingly but saying nothing. In the middle of this, Dave calls, which is decidedly awkward at that moment. Apparently your online popularity is decreasing as no new content has gone up for a while.

Prac: 1+2

You get into the office, disguised as her, and type up the note offering the CEO the money before slipping it onto his desk. But apparently you screwed up somewhere. Maybe the instructions weren't clear enough. Maybe he's just a paranoid guy. Perhaps he didn't understand why he would be offered a cut when he didn't know about the thefts, or couldn't see where she'd been skimming from. As you wait around near his office in yet another disguise, through the glass door you catch a glimpse of him phoning someone frantically. From the pickup speed, it's the police.

You hear Amdukia's voice crackle on the nearest intercom. "Not good. He acts from self-interest, there's still a chance. Fix this. Or suffer."

There are a couple of options here. You could create an illusion, or even hit him with a missile from here. Alternately, you're right next to the phone line going out of his office. The most likely course of action would be to get him away from the police, and change the situation so he believes he could get away with the theft.

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 86