Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Survival of the Fittest (waitlist open): A Game of Mutation and Wilddeath  (Read 9010 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Survival of the Fittest (waitlist open): A Game of Mutation and Wilddeath
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2017, 08:01:37 pm »

So we have a Pyromaniac, the power to make smells, and a smoker, not to mention the slime-mutant in the waitlist. Can we get a comment from the person with enhanced senses?
Hi.
Translation: Don't worry! My nose is insured, so if it explodes, I can afford a new one to replace it!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

TheLastDino

• Bay Watcher
  • Prefers not to die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2017, 08:08:02 pm »

So we have a Pyromaniac, the power to make smells, and a smoker, not to mention the slime-mutant in the waitlist. Can we get a comment from the person with enhanced senses?
Hi.
Translation: Don't worry! My nose is insured, so if it explodes, I can afford a new one to replace it!
Unfortunately, my ears are insured but not my nose. So please don't explode my nose.
"If magic can't solve a problem, the answer is always more magic." - Whisperling

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2017, 08:42:19 pm »

It's time I entered this world...

Name: Manny Phi
Description:  Light tan cargo shorts, short sleeved blue shirt. Moderate length hair, dyed ocean blue for reasons he can't remember. About 18, male. Average height and weight, barely tanner skin tone.
First Mutations: Parts of his brain advanced as to allow sympathy and understanding of most, if not all, monsters and animals. Additionally, subtle aromas in his swear, tears, and similar secretions. This allows for enhanced social roles, and makes him capable of taming and befriending monsters. (AKA, monster trainer/social interaction manager)
Inventory: A hair brush, a snack bag of cheese crackers, and a small backpack( Here, it could crinkle well into a pocket).
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2017, 11:04:30 pm »

"...now I'm just confused. Do you even exist in this universe? I don't see a sheet."
"I am one of many who MAY be. I watch this thread of fate with nonexistent eyes, ever considering a potential position within this seed of a story.."

"And then all the characters went meta. Wait, did I say that out loud?"

Spoiler: Sheets (click to show/hide)

All right, two people hoping you guys encounter something really nasty.

Introduction:

The six close their eyes, mentally searching for the energy the voice described. As it turns out, “finding” it is relatively easy. It’s really just a matter of noticing the lively, pulsating sensation within their chest cavity. On the other hand, using their vitality is a bit trickier. It seems slippery at first, almost impossible to grab and manipulate, but each member of the group soon finds some way to control it.

Having reshaped their bodies to their satisfaction, the six begins to wander around the garage, taking stock of their options.

The entrance ramp is largely traversable, although large shrubs and vines have begun to grow through the cracked pavement. It seems to point more or less due north, making it relatively easy to navigate to the human enclave, if the group chooses to do so.

Alternatively, they could choose to explore the ruined garage further, going deeper into the earth. There may be something interesting down there- possibly even one or two functioning cars, if they’re particularly lucky. That said, the claw marks are deeply unnerving, and patches of black fungus on the walls become increasingly large as one descends.

Spoiler: Statuses (click to show/hide)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2017, 11:20:51 pm »

Raul sidles over to Rachel, and speaks in a vain attempt at a sultry tone.

"Hey, baby. How are you doing? Hope I'm not being... Unbearable."

He tries to twirl his mustache, but ends up giving himself a trim. He looks horrified.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

TheLastDino

• Bay Watcher
  • Prefers not to die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2017, 11:22:49 pm »

Will tries to listen for nearby sounds that may indicate his location.
"If magic can't solve a problem, the answer is always more magic." - Whisperling

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2017, 11:48:32 pm »

Rachel stares at him, completely silent. She raises her new bear paws, showing him the backs, then rotates them to display her palms. Her gaze moves between them and him, and she raises both eyebrows questioningly.

"You're actually going for it? I have literal bear hands right now. I could disembowel you if I wanted to. I mean, props for having the balls to do it at all, but you really need to work on... say... timing, execution, and your whole face. Better luck never."

With that, she turns away dismissively and starts for the garage's exit. "I'm out. Feel free to come along if you ask permission before you speak to me."
Black lives matter.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2017, 12:28:54 am »

Nix Johnson lifted one leg up after another, balancing on each, testing the limits of their balance and flexibility.

"Holy shit, I cannot believe that actually worked."

Nix then proceeded to jump as high as he could, imagining himself finally making that slam dunk in high school.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2017, 12:29:54 am »

Ferdinand sits awkwardly and jots in their notebook "Telepathy failed. Not possible? Insufficient information?". looks around nervously, and then awkwardly stands again and slowly gravitates towards a wall nervously while trying to project "happy" and "calm". They back onto the wall and notice some some nearby scratches. They quickly forget what they were doing and start sketching a sample of the scratches, using their knife as a size key.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2017, 06:25:33 am »

"... figured. Man, I suck at this.

Anyways... Why don't we take a look further in? Nothing ventured, nothing gained?
"
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Tymewalk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tyme Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2017, 08:55:15 am »

"
Anyways... Why don't we take a look further in? Nothing ventured, nothing gained?
"
Trevor stared at the entrance for a while. It definitely looked interesting.
"Well, I'm all for a challenge, although no matter where we go, some of us are going to have to agree with the group."
He gestured towards Rachel, who was already making her way out of the garage.

He scoffed, and went to examine the rubble. With these extra arms, he could probably hold a few more weapons. Maybe a nice chunk of concrete or some poles. Or both, as long as it fills up these hands.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 01:03:21 pm by Tymewalk »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2017, 01:07:01 pm »

"... figured. Man, I suck at this.

"
"Don't get me wrong, I admire your effort. You just really need to work on actually getting results."

"...Eh, whatever. If you guys aren't going outside, I'm not getting myself killed. Where to?"
Black lives matter.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2017, 07:50:22 pm »

"We could find anything down there. But- we need to travel a large distance, and we are in a parking garage. Two and two equals four."

Raul starts towards the downwards ramp, then stops and turns around.

"We haven't introduced ourselves. Hello. I'm Doctor Raul Eduardo. I used to teach a Physics course at the University of- well, I guess it doesn't really matter anymore."

(("Damnit, I'm a physicist, not a physician!"))

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2017, 01:22:51 am »

Turn 1

Will tries to listen for nearby sounds that may indicate his location.

Will tunes into his newly-enhanced senses, searching for details invisible to more mundane sentences. This turns out to be quite effective, although he will need to analyze the new sensations a bit if he wants to learn anything new about his surroundings.

To Will’s sensitive nose, the black mold smells of both must and sulfur, a combination which is powerful enough to make him sneeze several times before adjusting. The scent already seems omnipresent, but vast trails of the stuff continue to rise from below. Either there is a truly massive amount of black slime down there, or something else is emitting a more concentrated version of its odor.

Additionally, he can hear rustling and scraping on the surface, the sound of numerous creatures dragging themselves across the forest floor. What exactly they are is up for debate, but the voice in Will’s memory didn’t describe rainbows and bunnies.

Nix Johnson lifted one leg up after another, balancing on each, testing the limits of their balance and flexibility.

"Holy shit, I cannot believe that actually worked."

Nix then proceeded to jump as high as he could, imagining himself finally making that slam dunk in high school.

{Got a bit carried away and ended up expanding this into a little scene. Hope you don’t mind.}

Nix recalls his years as a high school athlete, mentally reconstructing a particularly important game. There’s a key difference this time around- number thirty-two isn’t a poor jumper anymore. In fact, he has two of the most powerful legs on the planet.

Barely-remembered opponents are easy enough to outmaneuver, given his new physical prowess, and Nix is almost immediately in possession of the ball. Sprinting down the court is positively trivial, and from there he jumps.

He doesn’t just make the slam dunk. In fact, his legs carry his entire torso above the basket, and he actually needs to place the ball in the hoop on his way down. For a moment, Nix is a little concerned about landing, but reinforced bones and a good sense of balance seem to be enough to keep him from breaking something.

Ferdinand sits awkwardly and jots in their notebook "Telepathy failed. Not possible? Insufficient information?". looks around nervously, and then awkwardly stands again and slowly gravitates towards a wall nervously while trying to project "happy" and "calm". They back onto the wall and notice some some nearby scratches. They quickly forget what they were doing and start sketching a sample of the scratches, using their knife as a size key.

Ferdinand sits and stands, using the new odor glands to conceal his anxiety. It seems to be working well enough for the time being, given that only the man with oversized sensory organs seems to have noticed that Ferdinand exists.

The later soon begins to make a sketch of the claw marks, using his knife as a sort of improvised measuring stick. He finds that the marks are deeper than they appear, and most likely made as a result of brute force rather than sharpness. Aside from knowledge and the drawing, however, there seems to be little else to gain by studying them.

"
"
Trevor stared at the entrance for a while. It definitely looked interesting.
"Well, I'm all for a challenge, although no matter where we go, some of us are going to have to agree with the group."
He gestured towards Rachel, who was already making her way out of the garage.

He scoffed, and went to examine the rubble. With these extra arms, he could probably hold a few more weapons. Maybe a nice chunk of concrete or some poles. Or both, as long as it fills up these hands.

Trevor (luck): 3

Poles turn out to be rather elusive, as are metal objects of any other sort. Trevor does, however, manage to pry four sturdy chunks of concrete from the floor, which should be reasonably effective weapons when used in tandem.

{See below for group descent stuff.}

Quote from: Various People
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

{A good chunk of this was written post-1AM. Hoping against hope that it actually makes sense.}

Although Rachel nearly walks out of the garage to avoid Raul’s flirting, she quickly returns after it becomes obvious that she would face the wilds alone. Instead, several people tentatively agree to begin their descent, keeping an eye out for anything particularly interesting or dangerous within the depths of the garage.

Patches of fungus on the walls become larger and more robust, eventually covering the entirety of the walls and some of the floor. The group quickly learns that touching it causes an extremely unpleasant itching sensation, but the stuff doesn’t actually seem to be doing any harm, so they hesitantly continue into the first lot.

The entire space is filled with stagnant, ankle-deep water, prevented from draining by a giant mound of fungus in the center of the room. At one time, an assortment of vehicles were parked here, but the water has turned each and every one into a rusted husk. Unless the group continues to the dry lots beyond, there is simply no chance of finding anything in working order.

Under ordinary circumstances, that would be a reasonably simple task. Unfortunately, the giant mass of bacteria and mold on the floor seems to house something significantly more dangerous.

A good quarter of the goop begins to twitch and thump against the ground, gradually working itself out of the miniature swamp. There’s no telling what the thing actually looks like until it escapes, but it is definitely large and angry. That might be enough to formulate some sort of strategy, or to declare a tactical retreat.

Spoiler: Statuses (click to show/hide)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2017, 01:45:40 am »

Ferdinand absent-mindedly backs away, occasionally stumbling on rubble, quietly uttering "I think that it is very strong, very very strong".
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6