Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Militia distracted  (Read 1152 times)

Caponimoq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Militia distracted
« on: February 04, 2017, 10:22:32 pm »

So my squad is distracted because they couldn't pray to their gods lately, so I gave them a downtime. However they only use the downtime for individuals combats drills. Why aren't they praying and fulfilling their needs?
PD: There is a temple, and it works.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 11:29:47 pm by Caponimoq »
Urist McDM:"Roll a dwarven stupidity check"
*Urist McPlayer rolls 1
*Urist Mcplayer gets stucked in a hole
Urist McPlayer has been found death

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Militia distracted
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 10:47:13 pm »

Do you have a temple set up that other dwarfs are praying at?
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Caponimoq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 11:29:16 pm »

yeah
Urist McDM:"Roll a dwarven stupidity check"
*Urist McPlayer rolls 1
*Urist Mcplayer gets stucked in a hole
Urist McPlayer has been found death

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 12:46:27 am »

Set their training schedule to inactive if you haven't already, disband the squad if you must.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

rosareven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 04:08:17 am »

Disable their training from the barracks. They only do combat drill if there is a barrack assigned to them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 05:01:53 am »

As rosareven said, removing them from their barracks will cause them to actually become idle and socialize (provided they don't have any civilian jobs enabled). Once militia are slightly trained, they'll spend almost all off duty time on individual training, only occasionally take a stab at their civilian jobs and most need satisfaction activities (until they build up to levels where they cannot be interrupted once started).
Disbanding the squad works as well, but it's more work to put it together again (and you also have the clothing change routine issue).

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 04:35:35 pm »

i dont think needs have any impact other than stress, so as long as your dwarves are kept happy by other things (such as putting on nice armor, sleeping in a nice bed, drinking, eating good food ect) then their needs are irrelevant.
personally i like to make dwarves who like fighting into soldiers that way they get good thoughts from being in the militia
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 03:56:01 am »

i dont think needs have any impact other than stress, so as long as your dwarves are kept happy by other things (such as putting on nice armor, sleeping in a nice bed, drinking, eating good food ect) then their needs are irrelevant.
personally i like to make dwarves who like fighting into soldiers that way they get good thoughts from being in the militia
Are you sure about that? The point of the needs system was to give a boost to focussed dorfs who have fulfilled needs. I'd prefer focussed military to not focussed during a siege.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 08:44:28 am »

As rosareven said, removing them from their barracks will cause them to actually become idle and socialize (provided they don't have any civilian jobs enabled). Once militia are slightly trained, they'll spend almost all off duty time on individual training, only occasionally take a stab at their civilian jobs and most need satisfaction activities (until they build up to levels where they cannot be interrupted once started).
Disbanding the squad works as well, but it's more work to put it together again (and you also have the clothing change routine issue).

This. *rage*
Since (especially on lower headcount forts) I tend to have multiple roles for dorfs (such as civilian job and military duty) this causes a lot of micromanagement (I'll call everything that is too tedious for me micromanagement). Instead of telling them "you are off duty" (from the schedule menu) you need to disable training for that squad from the barracks. And archery targets (and of those I have several) - but don't forget to turn that on again, otherwise they won't train at all.
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 07:34:07 pm »

Though not a full solution, I suppose you could use burrows for the same effect.  Just make an alert that burrows your dwarfs in areas that exclude the training areas.  I haven't tried it, but I remember someone explaining that there is nothing special about the "inactive" alert.  It's just an alert that doesn't include training or patrols.  I was actually meaning to try this to force military dwarfs to take a furlough (just burrow them to the meeting areas, locations and bedrooms).  Also, keep in mind that burrows do not have to be contiguous.  Dwarfs will walk from one space to another even if there is no burrow in between.

The downside of this is that you have to keep expanding your burrow to include new areas if you want your military dwarfs to work normally.  Not sure which would be more micromanagement...

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 02:13:48 am »

Yeah, expanding burrows is... tedious. dfhack has (had?) a burrow autogrow thing, which never worked reliably for me - that would have been a good solution.
Actually now I think of it: "free roaming" dwarves are mostly the woodcutters, engravers, miners and haulers (oh, and I sprinkle the excavated areas with pop-up mason and craft workshops to clear the stones). Thus the military/civvy dorfs that have anything more localised could work well with relatively burrows. They only need to be expanded once in a while (like when moving the whole kaboodle of workshops, living areas and storage down below another cavern layer). That burrow could also (probably) double as the "get the f* inside, lazy buggers" burrow.

Yeah, as far as I understand the "inactive" alert just means there is (usually?) no schedule. Training will be prioritised over any civilian job (or so I feel).
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 11:49:14 am »

Ahh, the pendulum swings back from "my dwarves never train" to "all they do is train, not even party."
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.