Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Ever been in a fight?

I've been in a fistfight, but nothing serious.
- 0 (0%)
I've been in a life-or-death fight.
- 0 (0%)
I've never been in a fight.
- 0 (0%)
I am MaximumZero, and I got in three fights this morning before breakfast.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2017, 08:55:24 am

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18

Author Topic: The Guns, Weapons, and Tactics Thread  (Read 23022 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Guns, Weapons, and Tactics Thread
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2017, 10:13:05 pm »

5.56 is likely to suffer from less drop, but it's essentially a meaningless differentiation.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2017, 10:52:51 pm »

Yeah. At that range any accuracy distinctions between rifles are so small as to be undetectable. As for wound characteristics, overpenetration is the only symptom that's meaningful enough to worry about, and to make a sound judgement about that we need to know if the target is armored, I think.

All of these things, of course, you wouldn't think about in combat.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2017, 09:54:29 am »

And within those 80% of cases where you stick him with 1 out of 3 knives, there's also a pretty good chance that he will wound or kill you before he actually becomes incapacitated by his wound.

E:
The best form of self-defense is not having to engage in a fight in the first place. If you're about to be engaged in a fight where you've no chance of escape, which most of the time requires you to make a lot of mistakes beforehand, then in a sense you have already lost, because most of the time when two people fight neither one is going to walk away unscathed. Preparing to avoid a fight is much easier and more effective than preparing to win one.

IIRC Sun Tzu wrote that victory is not defeating your enemy but is instead never needing to fight in the first place.

Perhaps my glee and enjoyment of weapons of all types I sent the wrong message. To be truthful the best weapon in my Arsenal at this time is de-escalation. A while back a driver took offense at my driving and followed me home. He came to me threatening physical combat. I had an axe but instead of escalating with an attack that I knew I would win with, I chose to talk him down from his course of action instead. In addition to calling the authorities. It took a few minutes for him to recognize his disadvantages and decide discretion was the better part of valor. He eventually did and left but if he hadn't responded to the de-escalation I was prepared for the possibility of combat. Not wishing to fight doesn't mean not being prepared to fight.

I am a deeply peaceful person. I often genuinely get confused as to why people seek out conflict.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2017, 09:57:42 am »

You 'murrican and your sily little guns. Now, for self-defense, I use a 45 cm bombard. Now, THAT's stopping power for you.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2017, 10:00:20 am »

I once heard a story about a redneck who built a flak 88 anti aircraft cannon and put it in the bed of his pickup to hunt ducks with. That's about as murica as it gets. :p
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2017, 10:17:11 am »

I still maintain that's a pipe section.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2017, 10:19:53 am »

I once heard a story about a redneck who built a flak 88 anti aircraft cannon and put it in the bed of his pickup to hunt ducks with. That's about as murica as it gets. :p

I do know someone who owns a punt gun.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you ever want to shoot an entire flock of ducks at once, that's the gun to do it with.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2017, 10:21:49 am »

Aren't they meant to be mounted in small boats? I would think firing one even with a braced on someone's shoulder would be... disastrous.
He's fucking with us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2017, 10:27:24 am »

You want a big ass cannon? Here's a big ass cannon.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2017, 10:35:26 am »

For the record, the gun I was next to was the Ghent Dulle Griet. And it's 64 cm, not 45cm, but I wanted to make a .45 joke or something.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2017, 10:37:31 am »

For the record, the gun I was next to was the Ghent Dulle Griet. And it's 64 cm, not 45cm, but I wanted to make a .45 joke or something.

Nice try at a stab at Trump there. ;)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2017, 11:20:24 am »

Aren't they meant to be mounted in small boats? I would think firing one even with a braced on someone's shoulder would be... disastrous.
You mount them in punts, yes.

...what?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2017, 11:27:06 am »

...what?

Because Trump is the 45th president? I may be misinterpreting what he intended to make a joke about,

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2017, 11:33:33 am »

big guns you say?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2017, 11:38:11 am »

...what?

Because Trump is the 45th president? I may be misinterpreting what he intended to make a joke about,

More about people insisting they need a large-caliber handgun for "self-defense". .45 is a common large caliber for handgun.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18