Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Ever been in a fight?

I've been in a fistfight, but nothing serious.
- 0 (0%)
I've been in a life-or-death fight.
- 0 (0%)
I've never been in a fight.
- 0 (0%)
I am MaximumZero, and I got in three fights this morning before breakfast.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2017, 08:55:24 am

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: The Guns, Weapons, and Tactics Thread  (Read 22984 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Guns, Weapons, and Tactics Thread
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2017, 07:57:21 pm »

Well... Some Weed Wackers (less common design) actually do use a rotating metal blade.

Isn't the nunchuck a flail that has both ends usable as handles?

That seems... difficult to use at best...

While some notable martial artists have denounced it entirely... The overall consensus is that the Nunchucks are a weapon that unless you are highly skilled with it, it is more of a danger to yourself then any opponent.

But still a period in the 80s or 90s saw the rise of Nunchucks used in crime... It has since dropped off the face of the earth.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:59:43 pm by Neonivek »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2017, 08:19:56 pm »

Um, new topic:

This Darwin Awards article notes an accidental suicide via semiautomatic weapon, yet the article's sidebar shows a number of people questioning whether the events in said article could have actually happened.

Can anyone confirm or deny the authenticity of this article?

Again, my reason for asking this is due to the cat-killer.

Though, admittedly, I'd be pretty sad if I learned that the best set of last words weren't actually last words said...

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2017, 09:02:47 pm »

The people on the side bar seem to be having an entirely different conversation about a weapon chambering a round on the insertion of the magazine, which would be a capability that I'm unfamiliar with. However, many weapons will automatically lock the bolt in the open position under certain circumstances, at which point there'd only need to be a magazine inserted and the bolt dropped for it to be live.

edit: There's probably weapons that'll automatically drop the bolt when a magazine is open too, which would somewhat be what the sidebar was rambling about. 

The death of Terry Kath as an accidental discharge is not significantly disputed, to my knowledge.

The magazine and chamber are independent things on all closed bolt weapons, so dropping the magazine while still having one in the tube is fully expected. The many holes around many clearing barrels is evidence to this.

edit2: There was also minor discussion about the magazine-clip differentiation. In proper parlance, clips are something that's discarded while magazines are reused, but this isn't an especially strong distinction either in the general vernacular.

Please treat all firearms as loaded, especially when you're sure that they're not.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:24:45 pm by Strife26 »
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2017, 11:24:44 am »

The manual for my gun says that about fifty times.
And I obsessively pull the slide at least three times when I unload it just in case
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2017, 11:40:37 am »

The manual for my gun says that about fifty times.
And I obsessively pull the slide at least three times when I unload it just in case

That's not actually obsessive enough, it's important to also visually inspect the chamber, because it's possible for the extractor/ejector to fail and leave a round in the tube even while cycling the action.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2017, 12:20:44 pm »

Yeah, that can and does happen to people. Remembering to clear the chamber is very important.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2017, 01:35:43 pm »

I've been looking for an excuse to want the Automag V so much.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMT_AutoMag_V
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2017, 03:05:48 pm »

I suppose I should clarify that I never load my gun unless I think I'm in a dangerous situation. When I do need to unload my gun I first remove the magazine and then flip the gun over and and pull the slide so the round falls into my hand. And then I pull the slide three more times upright just in case. I've never really been in a situation where I thought I needed my gun loaded since I got it. Although I've been in a few locations that I felt safer with my gun having a round chambered. I always keep the magazine loaded but since my gun has no safety I do not chamber a round unless absolutely necessary. Gun safety is mostly about common sense and redundancy.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2017, 02:32:31 am »

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39121997   

This illustrates the importance of safe gun handling. In particular, note the attempt to shift blame from the operator to the rifle. This is bullshit in the vast majority of cases.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2017, 12:41:45 pm »

Guns don't kill people. Guns are used to kill people. Even when it's accidental and themselves. The gun can't do anything, they're inanimate objects that rely on exterior forces to perform the tasks they are designed for.
He's fucking with us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2017, 01:06:15 pm »

Guns kill people, that is a factual statement
Compare for example with cars. Cars also kill people, that statement is not exclusive to the personal responsibility one must take if they, when driving a car, run someone over and kill/injure them, nor is it a necessary to argue that cars must be banned because cars kill people. There is also the possibility of mechanical failures and such, or the gun itself being a piece of shit. Or the gun being so valuable someone mugs you for it and you die. Or you are in mortal combat and your gun stops working meaning you are killed passively by your gun malfunction. Or AI-controlled turrets that are killing you without any human direction. They are the guns with the most personal agency lol

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2017, 01:32:22 pm »

nor is it a necessary to argue that cars must be banned because cars kill people.
Isn't belgium or germany banning trucks or something?
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2017, 01:41:05 pm »

nor is it a necessary to argue that cars must be banned because cars kill people.
Isn't belgium or germany banning trucks or something?

Yes, but it's ok, Belgium is small enough that wheelbarrows are a perfectly valid mode of freight transport.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2017, 08:24:26 pm »

Guns don't kill people. Guns are used to kill people. Even when it's accidental and themselves. The gun can't do anything, they're inanimate objects that rely on exterior forces to perform the tasks they are designed for.
guns don't kill people bullets kill people. its turtles all the way down. :P

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2017, 09:20:44 pm »

guns don't kill people bullets kill people. its turtles all the way down. :P
Not the entire bullet, mind you - only a portion of the whole bullet actually flies out of the barrel of the gun. The bullet wouldn't work without the propellant!

It's the propellant that kills people!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18