Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Aurora Community Game (Currently Looking for Players)  (Read 2921 times)

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
Aurora Community Game (Currently Looking for Players)
« on: February 01, 2017, 06:29:45 pm »

Several months ago, I started a small multiplayer game of Aurora (aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php) with some of my friends. Sadly, life happened to them (a few of them were too busy with school and such to really play effectively). As a result, there are now just three people remaining. In order to spice up the game again, I'm looking for some new blood for the game, as I would definitely not like to just end the game because I've spent a non-insignificant amount of time coming up with backstories and such for the various surprises I have planted around the galaxy.

The schedule is generally a turn every two weeks. You don't have to have played Aurora before, but you better be ready for a learning curve if you haven't. We generally communicate by email. Every turn you will send me your orders for the next turn, including orders for if you are attacked/for meeting new alien races.

If anybody would be interested in joining, please PM me your email (and include something mentioning Aurora so I know that's why).

The following is a short history of the game (as the players know it, at any rate):
In the year 2025, the various empires of Sol were at peace. Each nation began with a small to mediumish fleet (depending on how the players made their starting decisions), and there was peace for several years. However, the Democratic Union of America soon launched an unprovoked attack on the Mahja Empire, causing a short battle in which they destroyed the alien PDC which rested on Earth and retreated, losing only one ship. The battle was stopped by the sudden appearance of an alien vessel in Sol--the first that had ever been seen. They immediately demanded, in English, that the fighting cease and that the empires of Sol submit to their rule, or face destruction. They gave the empires several years to think about it. The empires were obviously taken aback, and the petty fighting ceased--for now. There was peace for several years, during which the aliens seemed content to let the empires think. However, as the time period expired, the Democratic Union of America was immediately attacked. After the battle, the alien ships were driven from the battlefield, with the help of El Imperio del Antier. Just two years later, the invading aliens reappeared in force, bringing in many new ships, as well as another new alien race which helped the aliens invade. The battle lasted for many days, and in the end, the invading aliens had lost only a few of their vessels, while the empires of Sol had lost a great number of ships, perhaps half of the total ships in the system.

Peace was the order of the day for a three years, during which the empires exchanged some messages of goodwill, but ultimately failed to form any lasting alliance. Exploration and such happened too. Then, another alien race entered the system. This time, they did not speak English, and we have been attempted to establish communication with them ever since (this was the year 2038). (Special Note: These aliens are not an NPR, they are of my own creation and the players have to actually decipher their messages). However, the aliens were not hostile, and seemed content to sit on the jump point they had emerged from. But then, forces from Ignavis Deliquio launched a vicious attack on the Democratic Union of America, which, though initially successful, resulted in the complete destruction of the Ignavis Deliquio Navy. This was followed up by an all out assault from El Imperio del Antier, beginning with a ground invasion, and, when that was repelled by a nuclear defense from PDCs, a nuclear bombardment of the surface, leaving Mercury a frozen wasteland and killing hundreds of millions. The planet was conquered by El Imperio del Antier (hence the statement that "Ignavis Deliquio was on Mercury"). There is currently a resistance movement on Mercury, but they have yet to gain any real strength. Communication has continued with the aliens for the past couple of years, bringing us to the current day, when there was a revolt (read: a player resigned) in the Mahja Empire, and a ship from Ymerodraeth y Hynafiad (the invading aliens from several years earlier) entered the system.

In the intervening several years, many of the empires began to begin expansion attempts, and the situation on Mercury has mostly been contained. A large fleet from Ymerodaeth y Hynafiad has entered the system and threatens to destroy our way of life as we know it. Though the Solarian empires put in a valiant effort to stop the fleet, their ships were destroyed with little, if any, damage done to the Ymerodraeth y Hynafiad ships. However, the hostile ships have stopped above one of the moons of Saturn, a colony of El Imperio del Antier, and they have conquered it, but have not moved on.

The following is a Google Doc containing an in-game view of the history of Sol:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WVc3zymsVODJpcdvlKxswYI74VinfoDlyaP6qRdeO6U/edit?usp=sharing

You have the following options of empires to take over:
Taulandia (Note: Not in Sol):
An empire of strange, music and math loving creatures. Mostly pacifists, but have fought in the past when it is required. Their government has tended to be extremely cautious, preferring for their civilian sector to do most, if not all, of the exploration of the galaxy.

Obviously I will send significantly more information once you have made your selection.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 08:28:55 pm by kytuzian »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora Community Game (Currently Looking for Players)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 07:42:43 pm »

E.mail and Google do not mesh well with me, so I am committed to lurking. Thus, away to the depths of darkness from whence I emerged with me!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 08:08:13 pm »

PM sent.  I would be happy to represent the Americans...they could use the help.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 08:23:27 am »

I'm not uninterested, but the description of the Taulandia doesn't really work with how I play, and fluff disconnects annoy me. Could you add an additional empire?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 02:35:48 pm »

I'm not uninterested, but the description of the Taulandia doesn't really work with how I play, and fluff disconnects annoy me. Could you add an additional empire?

Sorry, those are all the empires that are unmanned (that I don't have a plan for myself). I can send you a PM if there are more openings, if you'd like.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 02:42:56 pm »

I suppose I could take over the Taulandia, as long as you don't mind me playing a bit fast and loose with the fluff you've made. Essentially, if you're alright with me running them as the late-TNG or early Deep Space 9-era Federation, that will work.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 04:13:51 pm »

Democratic Union of America has just undergone elections, and President Jack Euchre has won*!
(if you go by the electoral college, and not actual popular vote)

Many wonder who will make up the new cabinet...could it be YOU?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 05:35:51 am »

One wonders if your election can be seen as a backlash from the deeply unpopular* occupation of the sovereign planet of Mercury. :P

* It's unpopular with the people of Mercury at least.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 12:43:45 pm »

Aha Aurora - I wanted to not touch that until the new client/code thing was done, but then its time to be "massivly useless super ship crashing through time and space" again... ptw.

puterking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 06:15:43 pm »

How does this work?

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 07:47:03 pm »

I suppose I could take over the Taulandia, as long as you don't mind me playing a bit fast and loose with the fluff you've made. Essentially, if you're alright with me running them as the late-TNG or early Deep Space 9-era Federation, that will work.

Generally speaking, anything is okay as long as you can justify it with RPing a little. That being said, if they suddenly go on a muderous rampage, that would be kind of strange. If, say, a new leader takes over and they refocus to start building dramatically more (and more effective) military ships, well, nobody would be entirely surprised if they use them eventually. I don't know what direction you're thinking of going in, of course. If that sounds fine to you, just send me a PM with your email.

How does this work?

I assume you're asking about how you play Aurora in a multiplayer way.

We generally communicate via email (while I can try to accomodate other methods of communication, I prefer email). Every turn (which tends to be about a year long), I ask players for their orders (research, ship movements, installation construction, ship designs, whatever). Then I run the turn with their specifications. If something unexpected comes up, like meeting a new alien race or them being attacked, then the turn either pauses or I go through with whatever standing orders the player has left in case that situation came up.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 12:37:07 am »

Posting to watch, maybe I'll show up. I've been meaning to get back into Aurora.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

puterking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 01:53:44 am »

Since the nations seem to have been all taken, is there other ways of joining the game?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 02:25:54 am »

Second that.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 05:37:11 am »

Out in the main Aurora thread, EuchreJack is looking for cabinet members to

Specifically some or all of this:
1) Writing speeches and/or news articles
2) Ship Design
3) Missile Design
4) Overall review of the situation and making suggestions
Pages: [1] 2