Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: Slaughterhelm: Fortress of the Void (Deathgate III)  (Read 49304 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Slaughterhelm: Fortress of the Void (Deathgate III)
« Reply #135 on: November 04, 2017, 06:58:51 pm »

Go ahead, any activity is better than no activity.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 04, 2017, 07:36:30 pm »

Do it.

warbluke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 05, 2017, 07:26:29 am »

Allright, the save is up and running, expect an update soonish.

warbluke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2017, 12:41:46 pm »

Overseer’s Log Entry One: Introduction
Yesterday whilst the fortress hummed and bustled with activity a foul beast appeared near the adamantium mines. While it was quickly cut down with only one casualty, the current reigning overseer resigned. I do not know if these events are of any relation, but that is of no matter now. Shortly after the resignation I was chosen to be the new leader. I have no idea why, my leadership skills are sloppy at best, disastrous at worst. Perhaps they sensed my ambitions, my dreams, perhaps they were just lazy and grabbed the nearest bloke they could see.
Either way I, Tulon Regalia of the Itononrel line have been selected to lead this fortress.
I’ll be keeping this log to record the following events for posterity.

Overseer’s Log Entry Two: The State Of The Fortress
The surface of the fort contains two main structures, one walled area with a roofed side building and another walled space containing the trade depot and the entrance to the fort proper.

The first walled area seems to be made to contain some of the victims of the recent werechinchilla outbreak. (I can’t even say that without laughing.)
On Top of the main complex I can see a tower with a windmill at the top, it stands out quite nicely, but it may be attracting raiders to the site.
There is also a pile of refuse behind the main entrance containing several dwarven corpses. While i was writing this report, i noticed a siege engineer picking his way through the bodies.

He looked horribly sad, just standing amongst the corpses. I shall have to make an effort to raise morale around here.
The First level contains the food production and processing areas. There is also a dumping ground for the butcher, and a millstone connected to the aforementioned windmill tower.

The second level contains the looms and cloth areas, wood stockpile, carpenters, and wood furnaces. The majority of food storage also resides here.

The third level contains more cloth production and storage, as well as the leatherworks.

The fourth level holds the livestock of the fort, as well as caged creatures, nesting boxes, and a pet cemetary.

This ends the first part of my State Of The Fortress Update, I’ll provide a part two soon.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 02:46:09 pm by warbluke »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2017, 01:56:07 pm »

Overseer’s Log Entry One: Introduction
Yesterday whilst the fortress hummed and bustled with activity a foul beast appeared near the adamantium mines. While it was quickly cut down with only one casualty, the current reigning overseer resigned. I do not know if these events are of any relation, but that is of no matter now. Shortly after the resignation I was chosen to be the new leader. I have no idea why, my leadership skills are sloppy at best, disastrous at worst. Perhaps they sensed my ambitions, my dreams, perhaps they were just lazy and grabbed the nearest bloke they could see.
Either way I, Tulon Regalia of the Itononrel line have been selected to lead this fortress.
I’ll be keeping this log to record the following events for posterity.

Overseer’s Log Entry Two: The State Of The Fortress
The surface of the fort contains two main structures, one walled area with a roofed side building and another walled space containing the trade depot and the entrance to the fort proper.

The first walled area seems to be made to contain some of the victims of the recent werechinchilla outbreak. (I can’t even say that without laughing.)
On Top of the main complex I can see a tower with a windmill at the top, it stands out quite nicely, but it may be attracting raiders to the site.
There is also a pile of refuse behind the main entrance containing several dwarven corpses. While i was writing this report, i noticed a siege engineer picking his way through the bodies.

He looked horribly sad, just standing amongst the corpses. I shall have to make an effort to raise morale around here.
The First level contains the food production and processing areas. There is also a dumping ground for the butcher, and a millstone connected to the aforementioned windmill tower.

The second level contains the looms and cloth areas, wood stockpile, carpenters, and wood furnaces. The majority of food storage also resides here.

The third level contains more cloth production and storage, as well as the leatherworks.

The fourth level holds the livestock of the fort, as well as caged creatures, nesting boxes, and a pet cemetary.

This ends the first part of my State Of The Fortress Update, I’ll provide a part two soon.

Added image tags for convenience.

E: It seems this image host doesn't allow hotlinking.

E2: Review:

Well, definitely the second one.

The surface is pretty bare, ain't it. Could add to it.

The siege engineer cares more about the rain than the corpses. Says something, doesn't it?

I must confess that I too have forgotten the layout.

Your last image is kind of tiny.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 02:02:01 pm by Fleeting Frames »

warbluke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 05, 2017, 02:47:08 pm »

Allright, I fixed up the picture problems for the most part. thanks for pointing that out, I'm still very much new to this.
Next update soon.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 05, 2017, 03:42:13 pm »

It looks remarkably neat for a Deathgate fort, but I guess it hasn't been very long yet.

warbluke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2017, 05:05:01 pm »

Overseer’s Log Entry Three: The State Of The Fortress (Part 2)
Below level four lies, naturally, level five. It contains the majority of our bedrooms, the masonry workbenches, and a jewelers. There are also some small office areas and the hospital as well.

Two levels down lies a pair of walled chinchilla cells. I feel like it might be a nice idea to open up the roof of their prison and throw some supplies down, some tools too and we could have a nice little mini-fort.

One level below that there are rooms for visiting guests. They are sparse, but adequate.

Beneath that there are two rooms, one storing the majority of our sweet, sweet booze (and some rocks.) and the other lying empty for now.

Conveniently beneath the alcohol storage sits the dining hall, the training room, a weird half built room (which i may or may not claim as the overseer’s quarters later.) there are also two rooms, one which contains the library, and the...uh...temple. I don’t know who they worship there, I haven’t been in since...well, uh… Anyways!

Downwards through the stairs leads us to the mayoral quarters, the second level of the tavern/dining hall, cage storage, and a soap production/kitchen room.

At the final level of the dining complex lies the stage for performers and a strange pillared area still in construction. The original plans did not specify the actual purpose of the new area, i believe it to either be a new temple, or an arena.

The next few levels contain the graves, some cave entrances, some mineshafts, and finally the magma forges and adamantium extraction site.

Directly below these forges lies the magma sea, and the adamantium.
Overseer’s Log Entry Four:
Even with the...unusual circumstances of this overseer’s term I’m giving myself a years worth of goals to complete, I don’t know if my time will be more or less, but I hope to fulfill these either way.
Goal One: Mining
While digging through some old journals and files looking for useful information, i found something about the founding of this fort. It’s original purpose was to act as a mining camp area. Although i feel that goal might be slightly altered with the whole “Immortal death incarnate wandering around smashing skulls” thing going on, i see no reason not to up mining efforts anyways. There have been a few cave-ins recently due to irresponsible mining techniques, but with proper supervision i don’t think that will be much of a problem anymore.
Goal Two: Military
Even though the void god can reincarnate, or at least reappear after death he has shown to not be immortal. There is a standing militia right now, but I think the addition of a second squad couldn't hurt. Using an alternating schedule of training and patrolling I hope to gain maximum efficiency out of both squads.
Goal Three: Food
There is quite a nice amount of food as of now, but an increase in self-sufficiency will help remove some of the danger of a long term siege.

Goal Four: Defenses
Even early on into this outpost’s life, we have had several sieges from forces. Our defenses on the surface consist mainly of a walled off area with some gates, traps, and a partially constructed roof. I hope to increase the strength and defensibility of our surface defenses, as well as constructing some more traps at the cave entrances.
Goal Five: Discovery
I arrived at this fort a humble lye maker, though my skillset still mostly consists of lye making I hope to expand it to some metalsmithing as well. Aside from personal discovery, I wish to find
out exactly what is going on here. Why is there an immortal death incarnate, why do so many of the citizens express an interest in the void? What is the deal with the name changes, the strange language some of the reports are written in? Why can’t i remember visiting the temple?
While an official log may not be the best place to pose these questions, I must ask them. Strange things are afoot here.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 06, 2017, 05:20:36 pm »

Nice summary! Z screen and unit screen?

warbluke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 06, 2017, 05:45:55 pm »

z screen means stocks, right?

tundra1232

• Bay Watcher
  • If nothing is on fire there's a problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 06, 2017, 07:57:51 pm »

The cave-ins we're intentional! I was trying to drain the lake on cavern 3 so I could make a tree farm...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 07, 2017, 08:28:03 am »

Ow my eyes. Cyan on brown is...not the best combination, even as I appreciate somewhat the distinction between floors and walls.

Though I'm weirded a bit by the distance everywhere, the dining hall is nice.

I see no adamantium, though. Perhaps harvest some and relocate the fortress down for old times' sake.

warbluke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 07, 2017, 10:38:53 am »

Allright, I'll redesignate the lake draining tunnels, but there were some in the upper caves too.
The adamantium is a level or two below the magma forges, I should probably have shown it too. sorry!
The first update where I actually do something is incoming!

warbluke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 07, 2017, 02:53:26 pm »

Overseer’s Log Entry Five: First Orders
With the essentials out of the way I can finally get down t-oh

Let's see… check, check, check. All three are contained safely.
Back to business!
After quickly shouting at some cooks for trying to use precious alcohol as an ingredient I made my way down to see what was the deal with the cave-ins.
On the lower levels the miners reported that the collapse was intentional, a plan to drain the cavern’s lakes to make a tree farm. In the roof of that cavern, other miners report that they were ordered to dig around, I think it might be to get ores or gems or something. Either way, they dug through a stalactite and cause a minor collapse. Upon further examination, a small section had been successfully drained.

Knowing little about tree farming, I’ve decided to just let these guys carry on for now.
Upon looking at our stocks, I realized that we have a metric fuckton of both granite and schist blocks. I’m ordering an expansion of the surface defenses as well as the construction of an archer tower. We don’t have any archers, but it never hurts to over prepare. The idea for the tower actually came to me in a dream a few days ago, quite a strange one too…

Shortly after construction began I received reports that we are out of adamantium strands. While it would be amazing to have more, I do not wish to run the risk of delving to deep. I’ve heard stories, dark tales of fortresses overcome with greed.
So let's see, this has been four, five orders into my term? I think i deserve a little reward.
I’ve ordered that an overseer’s (and secretary's) quarters be constructed in the empty room near the temple. To help speed this up I have started construction on a bronze door and some statues to decorate. I think I’m doing quite well at this, being my first time as a smith and all.
Life really flies by when your working, I think I’ll go for a quick drink now, lugging these ingots around is very tiring.

Overseer’s Log Entry Six: Construction And Confusion

How time does fly.
Construction on the new walls and first level of the tower has been finished, once my room is done I’ll order for a kill room/airlock building at the gate as well.

My quarters are going along nicely, and I’ve put up flyers for a secretarial position, preferably someone who can read all the chicken scratch some of the reports are written in.

I had another dream about the tower too, it was standing on a windless, cloudless day. It dwarfed all the surrounding woods and the fort itself. Down the center was a tube. At the bottom of the tube was a room with a singular door. In the room was blood, red and flowing. The walls shimmered and glistened with the blood, voices screamed and twisted at the top of the tower, whilst at the bottom silence was complete. It was a skyless day, a groundless day, a dayless day.
Robes and masks concealed the wandering shapes that flowed and writhed.
And all wept.
And all screamed.
And all Bled.

I woke up outside the temple, slumped against the wall in an uncomfortable position. My best guess as to what happened is that I went to long without a stiff drink and my body tried to compensate by simulating drunkenness. Either way, the tower looks quite nice so far, a room for mechanisms and windmill parts has been added to the bottom too, we’re going to squeeze every bit of productivity we can out of this thing!

After a shortage of marble for my quarters I ordered the excavation of an extension on the hallway to provide what we need. I think i’ll have a main room, with my secretary's office/dining room and bedroom to one side, and my quarters to the other. I’ve worked quite hard so far, so I definitely deserve this singular, megar, luxury!

That time already? Our liaison is a human? When did this happen?

Forget The Human Business! I’ve got a promotion inbound, just gotta have a little talk with the mayor and I’m off to be a baron!

Who cares about that? I’m gonna be a baro-
Oh.
The mayor said he recommended the Voidgod.
The Voidgod.
Realy?
At least I’m still overseer…

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2017, 02:23:59 am »

Succession fun~

That's very tiny tree farm. What's this on, 1/9th of a 1x1 embark?

...Autumn already? Save mid-year I assume.

It's clear which walls are new.

Interesting news, though. Erib Glovedblunted got kidnapped twice. Is Erib exceptionally beautiful, badly connected or foul-mouthed?

Void god? Bad pick. Crown and low boot mandates, yee-haw. Oh yeah, and also a cat lad-gentleman.

Incidentally, I wonder if crowns are meaningful here?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16