Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Would you want this?  (Read 559 times)

oliverrook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Would you want this?
« on: January 31, 2017, 07:55:30 pm »

I will be making this program regardless of whether the community wants me to release it. I'm doing it for myself. I'm simply asking if anyone would be interested.

What I'm making

So, as someone who's main experiance with programming (outside of video games and such) is with making useful, handy programs that can be used to make my life easier, I was wondering if anyone might be interested in me releasing a tool I'm planning on making for dwarf fortress.
The tool in question would be a program that allows 4 specific programs related to the game, in a format that would allow me to run them all in the same window, with the possibility of tabs for each.
The programs would be as follows (Do note, for anyone who's program I am using, this would actually use YOUR program, and not a copy or recreation. It would simply act like a frame for it, albeit a rather fancy one):

Key Features

This tool would make it so that my task bar wouldn't be nearly as cluttered, as well as give me a way to simply switch from one to the next without having to fiddle with window sizes and minimization. Finally, and this would be one of the big points, it would allow me to use a fullscreen mode that would still give me access to all of my programs, meaning I could have a full resolution game, with tabs to easily switch to a visualizer and Dwarf Therapist, without having to minimize it and deal with a bunch of clunky windows.

Disclaimer

This program is standalone and does not contain the content or similar content to any and all of the third party programs it is used to display. I do not claim to own the aforementioned third party programs, and I will not attempt to reproduce them. I will respect the wishes of the owners of these programs, and will take down this program, or remove their program from my own, should they request it.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
Re: Would you want this?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 08:07:51 pm »

Just some tips:

If you're running windows 10, you can use the task view buttom to create virtual desktops, so you can have one application open in one, and another in another.

You can also use alt+tab to quickly switch between open windows.

Also, get their permission before you use their things, obviously. (Sorry if you already have, just reminding you.

I'd be interested, if you could disable certain programs.

oliverrook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 08:31:49 pm »

You can also use alt+tab to quickly switch between open windows.
I am aware of this. The problem with this method, however, is that if one is in fullscreen, the computer will normally glitch or hang for a second. Also, it normally restores it to a window, meaning I'd have to go full screen again. This is a program for simple convenience.
Also, get their permission before you use their things, obviously. (Sorry if you already have, just reminding you.
There permission isn't really needed, though like I said, if they wish me to take it down I will. The reason their permission isn't needed is 1. I haven't released the program yet (or even finished it) and 2. It wouldn't work without their programs there. It's simply running their programs in a window where they can all be used at once. It does not change or effect them in any way. Think of it as a typical software window, that's just capable of having four windows inside it as well, like a picture frame.
I'd be interested, if you could disable certain programs.
I could probably add this easily. In fact, I'm considering making the program just have four buttons that you can use to link to supported programs. All I'd have to do is have it recognize when it's running a program that it supports, so it can configure itself properly. (Armok Vision for instance, would need to be run and automatically started to avoid the configuration window it has from simply starting the program like normal, ie outside the program).

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 01:20:13 pm »

How are you planning to embed the other apps? This sounds really cool, but I wasn't aware that you could take an existing window and embed it inside another app.

If you do make it, and it works the way it sounds like it will work, I think you will have a hit!
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS