Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Game of Rules  (Read 2754 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: The Game of Rules
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2017, 10:21:46 am »

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 10:52:44 am by roseheart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2017, 10:24:08 am »

Well this game is lame and people already broke my rule so it's not been valid since my post. I didn't see anywhere where you could go against an author's intentions and just taking it as a literal translation. I don't see anything in the meta rules that gives it special approval.
go with it and make a rule that forgives all the previous posts for breaking rules then :)
Edit: or even better, make a rule that allows people to vote to reset the game back to the first 6 rules.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 10:26:28 am by MoonyTheHuman »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2017, 10:28:00 am »

Well this game is lame and people already broke my rule so it's not been valid since my post. I didn't see anywhere where you could go against an author's intentions and just taking it as a literal translation. I don't see anything in the meta rules that gives it special approval.
which rule?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2017, 10:31:30 am »

Oh, I found it. It said that since the first 6 rules couldn't be changed, they didn't need to be repeated in the rule lists. I was just doing things the way everyone else was doing them, so I didn't remember it. Sorry.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2017, 10:32:51 am »

Oh! derp de derpppp! well, who cares. lets just cut it out of future posts, shall we?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2017, 10:49:35 am »

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 10:53:00 am by roseheart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2017, 03:38:55 pm »

Rule #7: The first 6 rules cannot be changed and as such, do not need to be repeated as they are assumed
Rule #7: Clause A: The first six rules may be amended if a sufficient number of people with to do so, and if Liberonscien deems it a good change.
Rule #8: It must be clear to all participants in this thread that it is nothing like the currently active Chaotic Nomic game.
Rule #9: Cats are cool.
Rule #10: You must state rule 9 after every post.
Rule #11: All players must pick a terrain of either Forest, Ocean, or Mountains. This can be changed no less than 48 hours after the last pick/change in terrain.
Rule #12: There may be no more than four (4) active "picks" per player at a time. A "pick" being a rule requiring a player to choose something and state it in any of their posts. Players may choose which "picks" to post if there are more than four (4) "pick" rules.
Rule #13: While you have picked a terrain, you can use amenities available in that terrain. The forest has a village, where one can trade things with villagers and/or other players in the forest. The mountains have a mine, where one can obtain a piece of ore for every 16 hours spent there. The ocean has a library, where one can learn magic, techniques, etc. once every 24 hours. New objects obtained, as well as new things learned, must gain agreement by 1/3 of the active players to be kept.
Rule #14: When stating "picks" (see Rule #12), the stating player must append the name of the rule in the format "Rule ##:". Example: If Rule #99 requires each player to state "Cat.", the player will instead state "Rule #99: Cat" in their post. "Pick" rules cannot exempt themselves from this rule.
Rule #15: A monster may spawn on the field, whether in a specific place, in no particular place, or not in particular places. Monsters apply temporary rules that can only be undone by defeating them in their place in a basic, chunky salsa d6 fight managed by Liberonscien. On defeat, an object is given to the player, whose worth/usefulness is determined by a d6 roll.
Rule #16: You must praise MoonyTheHuman at the end of each post, jut before applying rule 9.
Rule #17: If the rules are being posted in a spoiler, the spoiler must be titled "That dirty hooker stole my wallet."
Rule #18: In addition to their given definition in Rule #12, "picks" are now additionally defined as "statements or phrases added to the post in order to adhere to a rule". Example: If a rule states that a player must state anything at the end of the post, that statement would now qualify as a "pick" under Rule #12 and Rule #14, and any possible future rules.
Rule #19: Liberonscien, whom can also be referred to as Liber, can designate a person to do rolls for him. However, it they are the one whose action needs a roll, Liber must roll for them.
Rule #20: New rules must be bolded.[/]

Rule #22: All rules must be accompanied by ascii art

\☺/ This is Urist. Copy and paste him so he can take over bay12.
 ▌
/\

rule #23 players don't have to praise others if so inclined
rule #24 simply posting 'ASCII art' to comply with rule #22 is strictly forbidden, post a urist instead. Example:
 ▌
/\

#10 Amendment A: rule 10 means you're supposed to say "Cats are cool".
Rule25: An instance of ascii art has to exist only once in a post to comply with rule twenty two.
Rule #26: I hereby declare that all rules most be declared as if you were royalty, now pass this on, peasant!
Rule #27: I hereby declare that people are forbidden to kill the game.

Cats are cool
ASCII art

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2017, 03:42:07 pm »

Rule #7: The first 6 rules cannot be changed and as such, do not need to be repeated as they are assumed
Rule #7: Clause A: The first six rules may be amended if a sufficient number of people with to do so, and if Liberonscien deems it a good change.
Rule #8: It must be clear to all participants in this thread that it is nothing like the currently active Chaotic Nomic game.
Rule #11: All players must pick a terrain of either Forest, Ocean, or Mountains. This can be changed no less than 48 hours after the last pick/change in terrain.
Rule #12: There may be no more than four (4) active "picks" per player at a time. A "pick" being a rule requiring a player to choose something and state it in any of their posts. Players may choose which "picks" to post if there are more than four (4) "pick" rules.
Rule #13: While you have picked a terrain, you can use amenities available in that terrain. The forest has a village, where one can trade things with villagers and/or other players in the forest. The mountains have a mine, where one can obtain a piece of ore for every 16 hours spent there. The ocean has a library, where one can learn magic, techniques, etc. once every 24 hours. New objects obtained, as well as new things learned, must gain agreement by 1/3 of the active players to be kept.
Rule #14: When stating "picks" (see Rule #12), the stating player must append the name of the rule in the format "Rule ##:". Example: If Rule #99 requires each player to state "Cat.", the player will instead state "Rule #99: Cat" in their post. "Pick" rules cannot exempt themselves from this rule.
Rule #15: A monster may spawn on the field, whether in a specific place, in no particular place, or not in particular places. Monsters apply temporary rules that can only be undone by defeating them in their place in a basic, chunky salsa d6 fight managed by Liberonscien. On defeat, an object is given to the player, whose worth/usefulness is determined by a d6 roll.
Rule #16: You must praise MoonyTheHuman at the end of each post, jut before applying rule 9.
Rule #17: If the rules are being posted in a spoiler, the spoiler must be titled "That dirty hooker stole my wallet."
Rule #18: In addition to their given definition in Rule #12, "picks" are now additionally defined as "statements or phrases added to the post in order to adhere to a rule". Example: If a rule states that a player must state anything at the end of the post, that statement would now qualify as a "pick" under Rule #12 and Rule #14, and any possible future rules.
Rule #19: Liberonscien, whom can also be referred to as Liber, can designate a person to do rolls for him. However, it they are the one whose action needs a roll, Liber must roll for them.

▌
/\

rule #24 simply posting 'ASCII art' to comply with rule #22 is strictly forbidden, post a urist instead. Example:
 ▌
/\

Rule25: An instance of ascii art has to exist only once in a post to comply with rule twenty two.
Rule #26: I hereby declare that all rules most be declared as if you were royalty, now pass this on, peasant!
Rule #28: Henceforth, it shall be known that royalty speaks in all manner of fashions, and thus, speaking like a mud-bathed peasant, or anyone, for that matter, can still be considered speaking like royalty.
Cats are cool
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2017, 03:55:46 pm »

▌
/\

▌
/\

Rule #28: Henceforth, it shall be known that royalty speaks in all manner of fashions, and thus, speaking like a mud-bathed peasant, or anyone, for that matter, can still be considered speaking like royalty.
rule #29: Rule #30 cannot exist, and, if it does become created, the game will reset back to continuing with rule 0-6 in place.

Cats are cool
 ▌
/\

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2017, 04:13:53 pm »

▌
/\

▌
/\

rule #29: Rule #30 cannot exist, and, if it does become created, the game will reset back to continuing with rule 0-6 in place.
Rule 5x6: Rules do not get created; instead, they are emphasized from their former position of meaning nothing to the game.

Cats are cool
 ▌
/\

Liberonscien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2017, 09:53:31 pm »

Rule 27 is rather unnecessary because rule 3 states that a new rule is only valid if it allows the game to continue indefinitely.
I personally believe that if a new rule does not allow the game to continue indefinitely then it is not valid. Furthermore, if a new rule stops allowing the game to go on indefinitely, then it is not valid.
Discord: Liberonscien#0930

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2017, 10:13:35 pm »

Cats are cool
 ▌
/\
Praise MoonyTheHuman
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2017, 10:59:12 am »

Rule 27 is rather unnecessary because rule 3 states that a new rule is only valid if it allows the game to continue indefinitely.
I personally believe that if a new rule does not allow the game to continue indefinitely then it is not valid. Furthermore, if a new rule stops allowing the game to go on indefinitely, then it is not valid.
True. rule 29 is valid, however, as the game simply starts from the beginning again, not 'ending' it :P (not arguing, making a point)

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2017, 11:01:54 am »

Rule #20: New rules must be bolded.

▌
/\

Rule #23 players don't have to praise others if so inclined

Rule #24 simply posting 'ASCII art' to comply with rule #22 is strictly forbidden, post a urist instead. Example:
 ▌
/\

Rule 5x6: Rules do not get created; instead, they are emphasized from their former position of meaning nothing to the game.[/b]
Rule 31: If the rules are posted within a quote, the quote must be from "Pathetic Whiny Manchild"
Rule 32: All rules must be notated in hexidecimal format, I.E. 'Rule #0x20: this is the 32nd rule's example'
Cats are cool
 ▌
/\
Praise MoonyTheHuman
[/quote]

Liberonscien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2017, 12:09:09 pm »

▌
/\

I think this rule unnecessarily restricts what can be done which will cause the game to be unable to go on indefinitely meaning it isn't valid.
Discord: Liberonscien#0930
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4