Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Game of Rules  (Read 2753 times)

Liberonscien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Game of Rules
« on: January 31, 2017, 05:58:16 am »

Rule #0: Rules are only valid to posts that come after their creation.
Rule #1: Each post must contain exactly one new rule (and no double posts). Append it to the existing list of rules in a single quote.
Rule #2: Each post must honor all valid rules.
Rule #3: A new rule is only valid if it still allows the game to continue indefinitely.

Rule #4: To challenge the validity of a rule, make a post with only the contentious rule in quote. Provide justification for your claim. Response to challenges should also be in the same format.
Rule #5: Until a consensus is reached, a rule under debate is considered "optional".
Rule #6 (optional): If you know a rule is currently optional, please make note of it as such in your post.

Any reasonable interpretation of the rules is allowed. (If someone believes a post is an unreasonable interpretation, they can challenge the rule being posted. If the unreasonableness will not affect the rest of the game, the challenger is just being a dick.)
Discord: Liberonscien#0930

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: The Game of Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 06:31:42 am »

Rule #1: Each post must contain exactly one new rule (and no double posts). Append it to the existing list of rules in a single quote.
Rule #3: A new rule is only valid if it still allows the game to continue indefinitely.

Rule #4: To challenge the validity of a rule, make a post with only the contentious rule in quote. Provide justification for your claim. Response to challenges should also be in the same format.
Rule #5: Until a consensus is reached, a rule under debate is considered "optional".
Rule #6 (optional): If you know a rule is currently optional, please make note of it as such in your post.
Rule #7: The first 6 rules cannot be changed and as such, do not need to be repeated as they are assumed.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 06:38:05 am by roseheart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 06:49:16 pm »

Rule #7: The first 6 rules cannot be changed and as such, do not need to be repeated as they are assumed.
Rule #7: Clause A: The first six rules may be amended if a sufficient number of people with to do so, and if Liberonscien deems it a good change.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 07:02:24 pm »

Rule 8: It must be clear to all participants in this thread that it is nothing like the currently active Chaotic Nomic game.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 07:21:27 pm »

Rule #7: The first 6 rules cannot be changed and as such, do not need to be repeated as they are assumed
Rule 8: It must be clear to all participants in this thread that it is nothing like the currently active Chaotic Nomic game.
rule 9: Cats are cool .
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 08:54:23 pm »

People are doing rule 10 wrong. yaay
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:41:12 pm by roseheart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 09:15:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I choose the Ocean terrain.

Rule 9.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 09:20:51 pm »

I pick Mountains.
Rule 9.

Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 09:31:14 pm »

In the library, I learn Basic Warding, a spell that negates the gaining of chosen magical effects. This includes curses and magically created fireballs, but it can only negate it up to a certain point.
Rule 33 Rule 9.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 09:37:18 pm »

Rule #10: Rule 9.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 10:11:12 pm »

Rule 10 is not a pick, as the player has no choice in what is said at the end of their post.

The Anywhere Skeleton spawns in nowhere in particular! It wields nothing other than a wooden sword. It's Monster Rule is: Players cannot move from one terrain to another.
Rule 9.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 11:26:08 pm by OceanSoul »

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 10:50:28 pm »

cant list rules :/
Mountain
rule #16: You must praise MoonyTheHuman at the end of each post, jut before applying rule 9.
Rule #9: Rule 9

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 11:11:58 pm »

River

Rule #9: Cata are Cool
Praise MoonyTheHuman
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 11:24:17 pm »

Rule 18: A Moon, or any form of it, are not praised if the moon is out in the field. Unless said otherwise, the moon is not considered to be out.

I fight the Anywhere Skeleton!

Rule 9.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 11:48:23 pm »

Rule #7: The first 6 rules cannot be changed and as such, do not need to be repeated as they are assumed
Rule #7: Clause A: The first six rules may be amended if a sufficient number of people with to do so, and if Liberonscien deems it a good change.
Rule #8: It must be clear to all participants in this thread that it is nothing like the currently active Chaotic Nomic game.
Rule #9: Cats are cool.
Rule #10: You must state rule 9 after every post.
Rule #11: All players must pick a terrain of either Forest, Ocean, or Mountains. This can be changed no less than 48 hours after the last pick/change in terrain.
Rule #12: There may be no more than four (4) active "picks" per player at a time. A "pick" being a rule requiring a player to choose something and state it in any of their posts. Players may choose which "picks" to post if there are more than four (4) "pick" rules.
Rule #13: While you have picked a terrain, you can use amenities available in that terrain. The forest has a village, where one can trade things with villagers and/or other players in the forest. The mountains have a mine, where one can obtain a piece of ore for every 16 hours spent there. The ocean has a library, where one can learn magic, techniques, etc. once every 24 hours. New objects obtained, as well as new things learned, must gain agreement by 1/3 of the active players to be kept.
Rule #14: When stating "picks" (see Rule #12), the stating player must append the name of the rule in the format "Rule ##:". Example: If Rule #99 requires each player to state "Cat.", the player will instead state "Rule #99: Cat" in their post. "Pick" rules cannot exempt themselves from this rule.
Rule #15: A monster may spawn on the field, whether in a specific place, in no particular place, or not in particular places. Monsters apply temporary rules that can only be undone by defeating them in their place in a basic, chunky salsa d6 fight managed by Liberonscien. On defeat, an object is given to the player, whose worth/usefulness is determined by a d6 roll.
Rule #16: You must praise MoonyTheHuman at the end of each post, jut before applying rule 9.
Rule #17: If the rules are being posted in a spoiler, the spoiler must be titled "That dirty hooker stole my wallet."
Rule #18: In addition to their given definition in Rule #12, "picks" are now additionally defined as "statements or phrases added to the post in order to adhere to a rule". Example: If a rule states that a player must state anything at the end of the post, that statement would now qualify as a "pick" under Rule #12 and Rule #14, and any possible future rules.

@S34NIC & MoonyTheHuman: The terrain choices count as picks.
EDIT: Also @Roseheart: External clarification does not matter! The rule is the rule, and not the rule's explanation.

Rule #16: Praise MoonyTheHuman
Rule #10: Rule 9.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:07:50 am by Chiefwaffles »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4