Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3549 3550 [3551] 3552 3553 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4151126 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #53250 on: July 30, 2024, 12:26:54 am »

is that the world cannot actually be divined through pure logic and reasoning, so we have to use heuristics

I read it as: "We can't know everything... So we will pretend that we know." And this is exactly one of my main problems when we talk about religion in politics. They look at a complex problem, "know" a solution from the holy text, revelation, or whatever, and start "fixing it" according to this "knowledge".

What is even worse, they try fixing stuff that is not a problem at all because their religion says that it is a problem.
I never said that's the right way either. Unlike them I recognize that these holy texts were written in a different time for a different culture... what worked for Mesopotamian farmers or Romans won't work for America or anywhere else on 21st-century Earth.

That is where secular, ideological faith should come in.
The very statement that it "worked for ancient people" already means that you accept solutions listed there as true, just outdated. How exactly do we update those true but outdated holy texts? What parts of the holy texts are fine to use nowadays without updating? We can't use logic to determine that... Then what? Prayers? Revelations? Authority of Biblical scholars?

For me, It is the same - should your version of Christianity come to power, it will push through irrational decisions based on pseudo-knowledge and authority.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #53251 on: July 30, 2024, 12:50:06 am »

is that the world cannot actually be divined through pure logic and reasoning, so we have to use heuristics

I read it as: "We can't know everything... So we will pretend that we know." And this is exactly one of my main problems when we talk about religion in politics. They look at a complex problem, "know" a solution from the holy text, revelation, or whatever, and start "fixing it" according to this "knowledge".

What is even worse, they try fixing stuff that is not a problem at all because their religion says that it is a problem.
I never said that's the right way either. Unlike them I recognize that these holy texts were written in a different time for a different culture... what worked for Mesopotamian farmers or Romans won't work for America or anywhere else on 21st-century Earth.

That is where secular, ideological faith should come in.
The very statement that it "worked for ancient people" already means that you accept solutions listed there as true, just outdated. How exactly do we update those true but outdated holy texts? What parts of the holy texts are fine to use nowadays without updating? We can't use logic to determine that... Then what? Prayers? Revelations? Authority of Biblical scholars?

For me, It is the same - should your version of Christianity come to power, it will push through irrational decisions based on pseudo-knowledge and authority.
Faith. Simple as. It just feels right to me. That's what it comes down to. I don't need logic for such things.

And my version of Christianity is about tolerance and equity of all of humanity. If that comes from pseudo-knowledge and authority, so be it. I don't really value the hard truth, I value utility (which happens to, most of the time but not always, coincide with the "truth" as divined by hard logic). Meanwhile the real Truth to me is subjective. That is where we differ.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53252 on: July 30, 2024, 08:03:43 am »

Logic and faith don't have to be independent!

You can have logical faith - faith doesn't have to be irrational.  In fact, irrational faith is the dangerous kind: when adherents of a belief system don't hold themselves to make sure there is no contradiction (or at the very least, honestly explore claims of contradiction and don't just write them off1), and make sure behaviors follow logically from the belief system, then you get people who will do anything "in the name of our belief."

There is even a good bit about Christianity that I don't like, per se, but I think it's true nonetheless.  If I agreed with everything about it, it would be guaranteed to be erroneous.

This isn't unique to "religion" either - it also wholly applies to politics.  The amount of illogic for many of the platforms in political parties and candidates across the world is baffling. Mostly the economic platforms - many of those are just astonishingly illogical and don't even match observation.  Some of the platforms are more logical, but questionable - like it's logical to talk about the costs associated with mitigating climate change, but it's illogical to jump from "it's expensive" to "therefore it's just a scam people are using to get rich off us and make us eat bugs."  Or the illogic in "we want to protect the downtrodden" but "people in that demographic group are privileged so we're going to force them to pay the bills."

1I'm familiar with most claims to contradiction in reform Christianity, and most of those are not really considered to be academically valid as they stem from logically faulty assumptions. But these are studied, not just "oh you think it's wrong? Don't worry about it!" or worse "You think it's wrong? Off with your head!".

Note that this doesn't mean that many many supposed followers of Christianity don't have contradictions though because, oh boy, do they!  Like the amount of mental gymnastics people must go through to think it's OK to just deport immigrants instead of caring for them, or the arguments from not long ago about how "those aren't actually humans so it's ok to enslave them" kind of stuff.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #53253 on: July 30, 2024, 02:48:58 pm »

Logic and faith don't have to be independent!

Okay, I had to break out the Dictionary on this one. Most definitions of 'Logic' say that it is a system of understanding through clear and verified evidence. Most definitions of 'Faith' say that it is a system of understanding without any evidence or proof. These sound about as independent as two things can possibly be. But maybe that's just because I'm thinking about it logically...I guess I can see how a person of faith would believe something that is verifiable nonsense.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #53254 on: July 30, 2024, 03:05:32 pm »

You mean like "Christian Scientist"? :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53255 on: July 30, 2024, 03:09:14 pm »

What do you mean, "most" definitions? The number one definition of faith is "complete trust in something".  It's the #2 definition that is "based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof."

You can, and pretty much always in your daily life, have (some degree of) faith in things without proof.  Is that food you just bought going to give you an infection? Is the building you are in going to collapse?  Can you prove it? No - you take it on logical belief based on engineering standards, food protection laws, the fact that the building didn't collapse yesterday, etc.  This is despite the fact that there are and have been examples of such failures in the world.

Perhaps that is to say - saying it's all spiritual apprehension or all logic is the problem; it's a matter of degree.  Would you throw out a belief system that generally says to treat everyone kindly, including giving your resources to others, just because that belief system says the reason you do that is because we have inherent value given to us by a creator?  Would you keep a belief system that says that there is no supernatural and might makes right, so just do whatever it is that increases the chance of your particular genes propagating, merely because it is spirituality-free?

That's one mere example of faith being compatible with logic.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53256 on: July 30, 2024, 04:02:07 pm »

Can y'all take it to that thread where pointless spiritual arguments about railguns or something reign eternal? Each time this one updates I click on it half expecting Trump to have had another ear shot off, and it's just Christians being wrong again (runs away).

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #53257 on: July 30, 2024, 04:15:54 pm »

It's been twenty days since the railgun thread got posts, even odds folks have just forgotten it exists. It's still there, though! Not locked or anything. The discussion pointedly not about the evangelical heresies actually heavily involved in ameripol issues really could stand to migrate, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53258 on: July 30, 2024, 04:29:00 pm »

bumped lol
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53259 on: July 30, 2024, 04:58:02 pm »

So back to politics - Senate apparently had strong bipartisan support to pass the controversial KOSA and COPPA bills. Let's see what the House does...

But I thought we weren't talking about legislating morality...  ;D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2024, 05:02:38 pm by McTraveller »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53260 on: July 30, 2024, 05:43:40 pm »

Politics and religion... keeping them separate or keeping them together.

And just like arguing about mixing peanut butter and chocolate, some jerk will make a a single candy combining the flavors of both but will replace most of the valuable qualities with sugar and hydrogenated vegetable oil.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53261 on: July 31, 2024, 05:04:16 pm »

Ah, yes... Achieving a stable politic-religion emulsion.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #53262 on: July 31, 2024, 06:51:49 pm »

You have to blend the religion in slowly or the whole emulsion breaks.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53263 on: July 31, 2024, 10:59:47 pm »

Well, what ratio of non-chocolate and non-peanut sugars and oils should be added? And what would those ingredients represent in analogous political and religious mixture?
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53264 on: August 06, 2024, 08:46:30 am »

Phil Williams: 'When I look at you guys, I do not think master race.'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpKMWj7g0_I
Nashville belongs to us — not the out-of-state neo-Nazis who have created havoc this week on our streets with their symbols of hate and vile words.

------------
Ziklag Exposed: Secretive Christian Nationalist Network Tries to Purge Voters in Battleground States
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIh6X_sXAr4
Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump made headlines this week after suggesting the 2024 election could be the last U.S. election if he wins in November. We look at a secret organization of wealthy Christians called Ziklag that is backing Trump's efforts by working to purge more than a million voters from the rolls in battleground states and mobilize Republican voters to back Trump. The news outlets ProPublica and Documented obtained thousands of Ziklag's internal files and found the group has divided its 2024 activities into three different operations: Steeplechase, which uses churches to get out the vote; Watchtower, which aims to rally voters around opposition to transgender rights; and Checkmate, which is focused on funding so-called election integrity groups, explains ProPublica investigative reporter Andy Kroll.

Trump Tells Christians They Won’t Have to Vote in Future: ‘We’ll Have It Fixed’

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-if-reelected-wont-have-to-vote-fixed-1235069397/
Archive.is mirror: https://archive.ph/FGU8C

It looks like trump is continuing to signal to his voter base that he will implement fascism.
Max avatar size is 80x80
Pages: 1 ... 3549 3550 [3551] 3552 3553 ... 3563