Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3528 3529 [3530] 3531 3532 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4153275 times)

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #52935 on: July 10, 2024, 10:26:04 am »

I'm not sure if replacing biden would be good or not.

See, in the college I go to that will be unnamed for privacy reasons but many colleges are like this anyway, there is a HUGE pro-palestine anti-israel group AND a huge middle eastern/muslim group...who have said in person, online, pamplets etc...they will vote third party or not at all BECAUSE of biden's stance on israel. My best friend who votes democrat 100% of the time said he isn't sure if he is bothering to vote or not if its biden

With that said, replacing biden forcefully would also possibly tank the entire democrat election and give it a landslide.

Its really 50/50...huge gamble, possibly big reward, possibly huge loss.

I've posted this before, but my excitement of biden is 0. I'd actually rather vote kamala, or michelle obama would be amazing...some people like the california governor and I think he is a good governor, dunno as a president or not though. I don't think he'd win tbh in a nation wide election.

Now here, I'm not anti-israel, nor am I anti-palestine. I'm actually kinda more anti-hamas if anything. With that said, a GOOD western president should not allow civilians to be killed. Be forceful. If hamas truly needs to disappear, focus on hamas. Otherwise whats different than russia or china that does the same thing targeting civilian areas? Ok the reason some give is civilian areas are being used military...but...thats...really just handwaves the whole problem to me.

Anyway, I dunno...I kinda lean toward replacing biden, but again, it could be such a backfire that it does tank the election. Biden does have a huge quiet voter base that isn't loud and votes quietly.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #52936 on: July 10, 2024, 10:31:24 am »

I think the odds of replacing Biden now leading to a Trump victory are way higher.

No one is excited about Biden. And I hate voting for someone simple to keep "the other one" out of office.

But I've never seen another candidate in my living memory who looks worse for America and Democracy than Trump.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #52937 on: July 10, 2024, 10:49:21 am »

If there's anyone of note that thinks they can manage to gin up a presidential election campaign in ~4 months, they sure as blazes haven't stepped up. Largely makes the replacement thing just kind of... fundamentally unserious. There's harris or there's approximately fuckall, and the former doesn't seem any more interested than the latter.

I do wish to hell biden would have stepped down or someone worth a damn would have stepped up for the primaries, but that didn't happen, so here we are.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 10:52:19 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52938 on: July 10, 2024, 11:03:37 am »

I wish the Democratic party actually tried instead of resting on their laurels. I wish they put more trust in the younger generation and invested in them instead of pumping blood into a corpse.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52939 on: July 10, 2024, 11:13:56 am »

yeah, seems like a could have done better, but rather too late situation

so close to elections, it really almost does seem too late to do anything. Unless there is an actual health crises, which I actually do NOT hope for as I actually hope biden remains healthy (giving his age and all) doesnt deserve a crises, I dont really see biden being replaced would be a safe choice...again...50/50 to me as I go back and forth a lot, but those aren't really good odds

Like I wish both parties put up way better candidates. Got kinda a senial old guy and a criminal. AND even if republicans think he isnt a criminal...really...he didnt do anything POSITIVE at all last time he was president. stupid medieval wall. buggered up the covid response, literally did nothing good, just bad.

Likewise biden lets israel get away with too much so he puts off a lot of the younger crowd and the middle eastern and muslim populations. Not because of israels war against hamas (at least for me it isn't), but because he doesnt really punish them or put his foot down when they attack civilian areas...kinda hand slap I guess at best.

Two of the worst candidates we could have had really.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52940 on: July 10, 2024, 11:58:17 am »

I do not think Biden will win, but there's really nobody you could practically replace him with who would do better.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #52941 on: July 10, 2024, 12:04:25 pm »

Yes the current state of the Democratic Party makes me think of someone holding a gun to their head and shouting “I’LL SHOOT I’LL SHOOT” into a mirror.

There is nothing to gain by drawing this out, and everything to lose.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52942 on: July 10, 2024, 01:09:57 pm »

https://vxtwitter.com/tyson_whelan/status/1807784600271471100

It's official. Committing a crime while in office isn't a crime now if you claim it was part of your presidential duties.
Never in the history of our Republic has a President had reason to believe that he would be immune from criminal prosecution if he used the trappings of his office to violate the criminal law. Moving forward, however, all former Presidents will be cloaked in such immunity. If the occupant of that office misuses official power for personal gain, the criminal law that the rest of us must abide will not provide a backstop.
With fear for our democracy, I dissent.
I think Sotomayor makes a good point here. The president of the US should not be above the law.

--------
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2017/07/18/steve-bannon-learned-harness-troll-army-world-warcraft/489713001/
Steve Bannon learned to harness troll army from 'World of Warcraft'
Mike Snider
USA TODAY
July 18, 2017
Even though the business plan was a flop, Bannon became intrigued by the game's online community dynamics. In describing gamers, Bannon said, "These guys, these rootless white males, had monster power. ... It was the pre-reddit. It's the same guys on (one of a trio of online message boards owned by IGE) Thottbot who were [later] on reddit" and other online message boards where the alt-right flourished, Bannon said.
Yiannopoulos devoted much of Bretibart's tech coverage to cultural issues, particularly Gamergate, a long-running online argument over gaming culture that peaked in 2014. And that helped fuel an online alt-right movement sparked by Breitbart News.

"I realized Milo could connect with these kids right away," Bannon told Green. "You can activate that army. They come in through Gamergate or whatever and then get turned onto politics and Trump."
Steve Bannon and Milo Yiannopoulos seemed to recruit people during Gamergate. I think this was one mechanisms of the alt right pipeline which sent people deeper and deeper into conservative thought.

EDIT July 10 wednesday
I'm not sure if replacing biden would be good or not.

See, in the college I go to that will be unnamed for privacy reasons but many colleges are like this anyway, there is a HUGE pro-palestine anti-israel group AND a huge middle eastern/muslim group...who have said in person, online, pamplets etc...they will vote third party or not at all BECAUSE of biden's stance on israel. My best friend who votes democrat 100% of the time said he isn't sure if he is bothering to vote or not if its biden
I think that personal observation does check out with the broader outlook among some Americans.

Yeah I think that Biden is messing up with his foreign policy on the Israel–Hamas war. Very few Democrats and Independents approve of the military action Israel has taken in Gaza.

One polling has found that only 23% of Democrats and 34% of Independents approve of the military action Israel has taken in Gaza.
https://datawrapper.dwcdn.net/KuI4S/7/#
https://news.gallup.com/poll/646955/disapproval-israeli-action-gaza-eases-slightly.aspx

The presidential election between Donald Trump and Joe Biden will be very close. Joe Biden is de-energizing his voter base with poor foreign policy decisions. Joe Biden ought to change in order to stop the killing of Palestinian civilians and gain approval from Democrats and Independents. Killing 2 birds with 1 stone.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 01:26:49 pm by StrawBarrel »
Max avatar size is 80x80

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52943 on: July 10, 2024, 02:00:14 pm »

The idea that Biden can just flip a switch and end the Gaza war is nonsense. Israel is not an American proxy and Netanyahu does not take orders from Washington. Meanwhile there's plenty of people who disapprove of the Gaza War but would see further pressure on Israel as throwing the Jewish Homeland to the wolves - and an overwhelming percentage of them vote Democrat. We already had this on the ballot - the Uncommitted Movement back in the primaries. Which was widely touted as hugely popular and a Message To Biden before being absolutely crushed at the polls.

In only slightly unrelated news, David Zaslav (the CEO of the company that owns CNN, had a media conference yesterday where he stated that who wins the election doesn't matter, so long as that person slashes regulation so companies can aggressively consolidate. When one of Biden's big things has been increasing regulations to rein in big business. In other words, the guy in charge of CNN wants Trump to win because he thinks he'll be able to line his own pockets that way
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #52944 on: July 10, 2024, 02:01:56 pm »

I do not think Biden will win, but there's really nobody you could practically replace him with who would do better.

Most polls show Harris doing much better than Biden right now; she's actually competitive against Trump, where Biden would lose in a landslide if the election were held today.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52945 on: July 10, 2024, 02:05:52 pm »

Most polls show Harris doing much better than Biden right now; she's actually competitive against Trump, where Biden would lose in a landslide if the election were held today.

Fun thing to do with all the people praising Harris on social media right now. Go back four years and see what they thought about her then. Or, in most cases, what they were saying six months ago.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52946 on: July 10, 2024, 02:22:02 pm »

The sad funny thing is that things would probably look decent during Trump's second term, at least the fist year or two, because of the lag effect on policy, then things would look really awful the 4 years after that after all the consequences really set in.  Just like the massive inflation was in part due to all the stimulus from the Trump administration, but is being called "Bidenomics" because the media just lets people think this is the case instead of informing people about the realities of economic lag.

For all the claims of gutting various three-letter agencies, I'm not sure how much the executive can really gut them because most of those agencies are established to fulfill actual law (e.g., the Clean Air Act), so there would need to be either a repeal of those acts or some other mechanism by which Congress changes the mandates for those agencies.

So an interesting workaround would be to stack Congress with more Democrats, if possible, to try and keep the dysfunction in the government that actually makes it work.

This would apply even if we keep the two-term limit and maintain the general function of the government.  It applies doubly if the general Constitutional structure breaks down.

(For all the calls of "we are losing rule of law" I happen to disagree; we are still under rule of law, just the laws are not what some people like.  If we weren't under rule of law, nobody would care about the SCOTUS rulings for example, because they'd just do what they want anyway.)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #52947 on: July 10, 2024, 02:26:56 pm »

For all the claims of gutting various three-letter agencies, I'm not sure how much the executive can really gut them because most of those agencies are established to fulfill actual law (e.g., the Clean Air Act), so there would need to be either a repeal of those acts or some other mechanism by which Congress changes the mandates for those agencies.
I mean, or trump says not to do their duties (or fires the lot and replaces them with folks pointedly uninterested in actually doing the work) and the primary mechanism for responding to that (lawsuits) ends up unable to get anywhere, either directly due to the relevant horseshit making it impossible to build a case, or less directly by ending up at the 6-3 SCOTUS and it going, "Yeah, well, I never liked the clean air act anyway.".
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52948 on: July 10, 2024, 02:37:08 pm »

Fun thing to do with all the people praising Harris on social media right now. Go back four years and see what they thought about her then. Or, in most cases, what they were saying six months ago.

Yeah. No one was thrilled with Harris as VP and I feel like she's been invisible in the media since Biden was elected.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #52949 on: July 10, 2024, 02:46:03 pm »

Yup, Biden said he would be a bridge between his and the new generation of Democrats, but they haven’t pushed anyone over that bridge at all.

I forgot Harris was VP a lot of the time. Her disapproval rating last I checked was 49%.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 3528 3529 [3530] 3531 3532 ... 3563