Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3520 3521 [3522] 3523 3524 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4156495 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #52815 on: June 27, 2024, 10:14:26 pm »

Moderator: How do you respond to voters who are worried about your mental acuity?
Trump: I have the best mind, because I play Golf!
Biden: I play golf better than you.

smh

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #52816 on: June 27, 2024, 11:30:08 pm »

Does anybody really care about the Presidential Debates these days?
I don't think they actually matter in the slightest: Anyone watching them has already decided for whom they are going to vote.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #52817 on: June 27, 2024, 11:47:27 pm »

Iirc the effect's usually small, yeah, near as anyone can tell. Some people care, just... traditionally not many.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #52818 on: June 28, 2024, 12:02:17 am »

A poll I saw said that 81% of viewers would vote the same after watching the debate, 11% were considering change, and only 8% would definitely change their votes.

Not huge numbers, but enough to affect a race as close as this one.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52819 on: June 28, 2024, 12:06:11 am »

FFS, how can a country of over 300 million not scrape up a couple normal people to run for office.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #52820 on: June 28, 2024, 12:08:38 am »

i'unno they kinda' are normal 70-80 year olds
Ask not!
Ask!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #52821 on: June 28, 2024, 12:40:35 am »

FFS, how can a country of over 300 million not scrape up a couple normal people to run for office.
Normal people aren't allowed to run for office in the United States.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52822 on: June 28, 2024, 01:01:41 am »

Democrats consider the unthinkable: It’s time for Biden to go - POLITICO
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/06/27/biden-democrats-replacement-00165672

I think Joe Biden stepping aside for someone else to be the presidential candidate could be a good move. It’s a bit late now as I would have wanted Joe Biden to step aside a lot earlier so we could have had a proper Democratic primary, but late is better than never.

I think it’s good that people in the Democratic Party are waking up and seeing how poorly Joe Biden is doing.

Quote from:  ELENA SCHNEIDER, ADAM WREN and LAUREN EGAN
Nonetheless, the likelihood of a brokered convention or Biden stepping aside are unlikely, a reality that even those who privately complained about Biden’s performance acknowledged.
“Only one guy can decide, and it’s him,” said one Democratic strategist.
At the same time Biden seems to be a stubborn person. I just hope that the Biden campaign either wakes up and alters their political strategy or steps down for someone else to run for president.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #52823 on: June 28, 2024, 01:06:56 am »

For what it's worth, one thing to remember is that the media establishment just... kind of doesn't like Biden, largely due to him not making a more or less freely accessible circus of the white house like the previous administration. A lot of the reporting going on is even more sensationalized than normal for the general news ecosystem that's just kind of bloody lost its mind over the last few decades.

Take shit like that with an even larger bucket of salt than usual, basically.
Ask not!
Ask!

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52824 on: June 28, 2024, 01:13:55 am »

Yeah I get what you are saying about having skepticism. Also the debate ended just a few hours ago so people such as Democratic donors and insiders are probably emotional right now. I suppose it will take a few days to probably regroup and reevaluate. I just hope that the Biden campaign is willing to look at all their options and be open minded on how to improve their political campaign.

I just caught a snippet of it. Biden stumbling over everything, while Trump gleefully sucks his own dick and my parents sitting then enthusing about having a turn on it as well. Honestly, I don't know what else I could have expected. I'm halfway tempted to remotely shut down the TV service(which I pay for) from my computer because I'm sickened by my parents' political beliefs. I've heard them say in the past, and I'm mostly quoting directly, "I know he's going to destroy this country, but I'm going to vote for him because he's going to put the n<I can't write that>rs in their place."
Wow that really is an unfortunate mindset for them to have. Racism is so dangerous and fueling Donald Trump’s political movement.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52825 on: June 28, 2024, 07:02:33 am »

For what it's worth, one thing to remember is that the media establishment just... kind of doesn't like Biden, largely due to him not making a more or less freely accessible circus of the white house like the previous administration. A lot of the reporting going on is even more sensationalized than normal for the general news ecosystem that's just kind of bloody lost its mind over the last few decades.

Take shit like that with an even larger bucket of salt than usual, basically.

Note that all these 5000+ word thinkpieces about how badly Biden did popped up like 10, 15 minutes after the debates ended. That's absurdly fast even if you had rough outlines for "Trump wins" and "Biden wins" scenarios. We'd be reading the exact same stories no matter how the debates went.

There's a number of reasons why the media is treating Biden the way they have. Besides the factor you mention, the other big one is that there was no such thing as a slow news day under Trump - you could always just check Trump's Twitter and find something to base a story on.  Trump also let journalists feel like heroes standing up to The Man.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #52826 on: June 28, 2024, 09:50:00 am »

SCOTUS partially overturns Chevron in Loper Bright Enterprises v. Gina Raimondo, Secretary of Commerce.
The Administrative Procedure Act requires courts to exercise their independent judgment in deciding whether an agency has acted within its statutory authority, and courts may not defer to an agency inter-pretation of the law simply because a statute is ambiguous;

My understanding is that not every law is ambiguous due to some technical matter best answered by science etc. and therefore deferring to the Executive in every (allegedly) ambiguous case is improper *cough*ATF*cough*.

EDIT:

SCOTUS rules for (some) J6 defendants in Joseph W. Fischer, Petitioner v. United States (obstructing an official proceeding charge).

To prove a violation of §1512(c)(2), the Government must establish that the defendant impaired the availability or integrity for use in an official proceeding of records, documents, objects, or other things used in an official proceeding, or attempted to do so.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2024, 10:24:41 am by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52827 on: June 28, 2024, 10:25:42 am »

Quote from: YouTube commenter on the debate
The only winner tonight is the Voyager probe speeding away from Earth at 17 km/sec.

/laughcry

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #52828 on: June 28, 2024, 12:12:24 pm »

My understanding is that not every law is ambiguous due to some technical matter best answered by science etc. and therefore deferring to the Executive in every (allegedly) ambiguous case is improper *cough*ATF*cough*.
Far as I've noticed what it's actually saying is "to hell with the executive, also don't expect the judiciary to be able to do anything until someone unfucks this decision". Chevron was basically allowing the executive to function instead of get utterly bogged down with lawsuits, and the judiciary to have anything on their docket except what chevron was clearing off it, and, welp. SCOTUS has decided it was a good idea to not have that, rip timelines for federal action for however long it takes for someone to fix it.

From what I'd picked up, even with the fucking nuts scotus majority, there was a decent amount of doubt they'd actually kneecap chevron, just because doing so means they don't get to do anything bloody else anymore... but here we are.
Ask not!
Ask!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52829 on: June 28, 2024, 01:15:50 pm »

Far as I've noticed what it's actually saying is "to hell with the executive, also don't expect the judiciary to be able to do anything until someone unfucks this decision". Chevron was basically allowing the executive to function instead of get utterly bogged down with lawsuits, and the judiciary to have anything on their docket except what chevron was clearing off it, and, welp. SCOTUS has decided it was a good idea to not have that, rip timelines for federal action for however long it takes for someone to fix it.

From what I'd picked up, even with the fucking nuts scotus majority, there was a decent amount of doubt they'd actually kneecap chevron, just because doing so means they don't get to do anything bloody else anymore... but here we are.
That's pretty inaccurate - Chevron deference doesn't block lawsuits or make judges' job easier. It just changes which thing they have to read to base a decision on.
Pages: 1 ... 3520 3521 [3522] 3523 3524 ... 3563