Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3469 3470 [3471] 3472 3473 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4157026 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #52050 on: November 21, 2023, 09:29:29 am »

Shambles
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52051 on: November 21, 2023, 10:13:12 am »

"The almighty dollar" has been adopted into economies (with greater or lesser officiality) all over the place, in parallel with or instead of a less reliable local alternative.

In subtly different ways, Bonaire, British Virgin Islands, East Timor, Ecador, El Salvador, the Marshall Islands, Micronesia (x6 nations, technically, federated), Pallau, Panama, Turks-and-Caicos and Zimbabwe, if I'm up-to-date on all that, make their use of the US$ for their own reasons (and two of those territories are British Oversees Territories). Not counting the various external US territories themselves (like I wouldn't count Falklands or Gibraltar as odd places to use GB£s).

There's a degree of "too big to fail", to these choices. Which isn't necessarily a perpetual given. (A greater chance of the Dollar failing would probably change the minds of those that currently support it and thus provoke it, but so far it's been manhandled over such things, or been seen as not as vulnerable or awkward as the alternatives. So far.)

For Argentina to 'join the dollar' (and have no real control over the process) would not be totally extraordinary. But it'll not be easy or simple, either. I'd put some money on it not actually happening, if I actually had some AR$ to wager[1]. Expect reality to hit the new president fairly quickly. The kind of thing for which a 'populist war' might have to be started, to distract people with, unfortunately. Something small, of course...

[1] One way or another, it'd be the best use of my pesos...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #52052 on: November 21, 2023, 10:30:14 am »

Adopting a foreign currency when your economy is in shambles.

What to do they plan on trading for that currency?
Bitcoin and beef?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #52053 on: November 21, 2023, 12:08:41 pm »

I seem to recall a past initiative somewhere in the UK for certain Drive-Through meals to have the receiving car's registration printed on the packaging before being handed over. Not quite sure how that went(/is going), with all caveats about how easy it is to render deliberately-littered packaging unidentifiable (if littering is not just carelessness) or how hard it would be to roll out to 'pedestrian' purchases (like bottles from vending machines, or even 24-packs of cans from your local mom'n'pop cash'n'carry).

How can you prove that a piece of litter wasn't actually in a trash can at some point, then got blown away by the wind? Seems kind of useless, legally.

There's pretty good odds the folks putting through the lawsuit think they have a case.

What does that actually say, though, given the alternative? :P

This Colorado judge fears the retribution...
CNN's article
"A Colorado judge has ruled that former President Donald Trump “engaged in an insurrection” on January 6, 2021, but rejected an attempt to remove him from the state’s 2024 primary ballot, finding that the 14th Amendment’s “insurrectionist ban” doesn’t apply to presidents."

What's a Colorado judge's standing for ruling on the federal crime of insurrection? Last I checked, Trump hasn't actually been convicted of that or incitement, so we're just throwing out due process, I guess? Unless that part was actually just the judge's opinion, not ruling?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 12:23:58 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Maximum™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL_SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52055 on: November 21, 2023, 12:57:30 pm »

Bitcoin and beef?
Is this like Netflix and Chill?
This is not a signature.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #52056 on: November 21, 2023, 12:58:27 pm »

Bitcoin and beef?
Is this like Netflix and Chill?
It could certainly fuck Argentina’s economy…
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #52057 on: November 21, 2023, 02:21:19 pm »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/us-had-intelligence-of-detailed-ukrainian-plan-to-attack-nord-stream-pipeline/ar-AA1ccDlo
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ukrainian-military-officer-coordinated-nord-stream-pipeline-attack/ar-AA1jLI1c

Turns out Ukraine was responsible for the Nord Stream 2 pipeline explosion. Who'd've thought?
Ah yes, that Washington Post article. I'm just going to quote from Reddit.

Quote from: u/TotalSpaceNut (r/Ukraine moderator)
Isabelle Khurshudyan, who was a foreign correspondent in Moscow since 2014, wrote an article for the Washington Post framing that Ukraine was behind the Nord stream pipeline bombing without using any information from credible sources. Why? Now that’s an interesting question. We took a look at the article and came to these conclusions. The key sources of information for this article were:

People familiar with the planning

Officials in Ukraine and elsewhere

People familiar with Chervinsky’s role

Discord

Putin

Russian authorities

TASS

According to unnamed officials in Ukraine and elsewhere, Roman Chervinsky, a senior Ukrainian military officer blew up the Nord Stream. These are direct quotes from the article.

“People familiar with his role”

"People familiar with his assignments"

"People familiar with how the operation was carried out"

Named sources that were included in the article are:

Russian officials

TASS news (A russian state owned news agency)

And putin himself

She did ask Zelenskyy who denied it. Zaluzhny, who said it was Russian propaganda. Now what about Chervinsky? Did he say he did it? No he denied any role in the sabotage of the pipelines.

“All speculations about my involvement in the attack on Nord Stream are being spread by Russian propaganda without any basis"

So let’s make some conclusions. People who could’ve been involved (Zaluzhny, Zelenskyy, Chervinsky) denied everything. Putin, russian sources, TASS, guy on Discord confirmed everything.

An investigation by German NTV checking the original Spiegel article on this found glaring inconsistencies like the "Ukrainian" owner of the agency that hired the boat being a Russian supporter from Crimea, and that Spiegel never acknowledged or responded to these inconsistencies, that would crumble their whole chain of reasoning. The other allegation being from Seymour Hersh, who may be going senile as just 3 days ago said "The russians have yet to put their main forces in"

Russian misinformation activity has been recently kicking up. The key goal of russian propaganda is to create confusion. To force you to believe nothing or to believe everything at the same time. You read in one article “Ukraine didn’t do it” and then in another one “Ukraine did it”. You ask yourself “what’s wrong with this Ukraine?” You don’t want to hear about Ukraine anymore. Too confusing. You start avoiding the subject.

And that was their aim all along.

You will probably see the article being heavily pushed by pro russians elsewhere, feel free to read it and make your own assumptions. We wont however, link it here.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52058 on: November 21, 2023, 04:24:48 pm »

From this NYTimes article about Argentine's new president...

He wants to eliminate 10 of 18 ministries:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

His agenda looks like a return to feudalism with chattel serfs. Maybe the missing Nazis did successfully migrate to Argentine...
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52059 on: November 21, 2023, 05:02:47 pm »

I seem to recall a past initiative somewhere in the UK for certain Drive-Through meals to have the receiving car's registration printed on the packaging before being handed over. Not quite sure how that went(/is going), with all caveats about how easy it is to render deliberately-littered packaging unidentifiable (if littering is not just carelessness) or how hard it would be to roll out to 'pedestrian' purchases (like bottles from vending machines, or even 24-packs of cans from your local mom'n'pop cash'n'carry).

How can you prove that a piece of litter wasn't actually in a trash can at some point, then got blown away by the wind? Seems kind of useless, legally.
Best as I can recall (the most familiar instant), it was to be a 'voluntary' (my quotes) process, that may have been part of the planning approval process for the fast-food joint to add/expand its 'Drive-Thru' facility. Following concern that even counter-served food packaging was accumulating in huge quantities in a nearby lay-by (even with the site's council rubbish bin being regularly emptied and, if and when required, repaired). And not just the odd stray burger-wrapper floating around, but something like half-drunk-from cups (even in their 'trays'), rewrapped burger 'crusts', ice-cream tubs, etc, that had amazingly gathered themselves together (after presumably been blasted out of the bin by a squall) in piles that seem almost as if each haf been placed there by someone who had opened their car door and placed their own waste on the ground before driving off.

Not that anybody would do that, naturally. Not when there's a bin almost within throwing distance (if you wanted to throw it, see if you can get at least one item in there) or... just maybe... they could even be taking their litter home (or to whosever home they were next driving).

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52060 on: November 21, 2023, 05:06:28 pm »

From this NYTimes article about Argentine's new president...

He wants to eliminate 10 of 18 ministries:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

His agenda looks like a return to feudalism with chattel serfs. Maybe the missing Nazis did successfully migrate to Argentine...

I like how "worship" is in the same ministry with foreign affairs... I mean I guess it is liaising with supernatural beings, eh?

(Why does a country need a ministry of worship anyway? Granted I have a very USA view on this - government should not be dictating worship, "so long as it doesn't harm people"...)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #52061 on: November 21, 2023, 05:41:28 pm »

Eh, US has an Office of International Religious Freedom, and for all it doesn't seem to have any centralized org for domestic stuff, there's a non-negligible amount of various official interactions between one department or another and religious organizations. Government doesn't have to be dictating worship to have an interest in liaising or cooperating with domestic religious organizations for all sorts of reasons. Having a centralized organization for that is... fine. It's one way to handle that stuff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52062 on: November 21, 2023, 05:45:20 pm »

I like how "worship" is in the same ministry with foreign affairs... I mean I guess it is liaising with supernatural beings, eh?

(Why does a country need a ministry of worship anyway? Granted I have a very USA view on this - government should not be dictating worship, "so long as it doesn't harm people"...)

The "Worship" part deals with the Catholic Church. Argentina is a Catholic-majority country, and the Vatican is still legally a sovereign nation in and of itself. So there's a number of reasons why the government would be interfacing with the Church a lot (even thoroughly secular countries have to deal with that sort of thing), and it makes sense to organize that under the foreign service when the head of the Church is the ruler of his own city-state.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52063 on: November 23, 2023, 10:52:00 am »

Anarchocapitalist is an interesting... experiment. I'll be watching with great interest.

I like how "worship" is in the same ministry with foreign affairs...
Actually... seems logical. Professional diplomats can also negotiate with religious organizations domestic or otherwise.

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52064 on: November 23, 2023, 11:32:41 am »

Anarchocapitalist is an interesting... experiment. I'll be watching with great interest.

I like how "worship" is in the same ministry with foreign affairs...
Actually... seems logical. Professional diplomats can also negotiate with religious organizations domestic or otherwise.
Anarchocapitalism makes me want to quote Glass Onion.  It's so obviously dumb that people think it might be brilliant.  No!  It's just dumb!

It's not actually dumb, of course.  It's just unrestricted capitalism and the people running it know exactly what they're doing.  They're painting the word "freedom" on a company town system to confuse people.  It's insulting.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 3469 3470 [3471] 3472 3473 ... 3563