Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3369 3370 [3371] 3372 3373 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4242936 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #50550 on: March 17, 2023, 01:12:07 pm »

Murdoch has built his empire on making money from selling lies. Previous lawsuits haven’t changed this, and this won’t change anything.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #50551 on: March 17, 2023, 01:25:04 pm »

I am still just sort of gobsmacked to be accused — accused! By two different people! — of being "Paleo". Is processed food mandatory now?! Sooooo weird. Man. Whatever.

Do you raise/grow, slaughter, butcher and cook your own food exclusively?

No? Then congratulations. You're eating processed food.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50552 on: March 17, 2023, 01:32:35 pm »

(not that either are consistent, a Normalized Vector has nothing to do with a statistical normal).
Oh yeah..?   8)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50553 on: March 17, 2023, 02:14:49 pm »

So I'm the only one who had their eye start twitching at the "no processed foods" nonsense?

Like, when you start drawing venn diagrams, the big ones that overlap with that circle aren't ones I'd be caught in. Like we're talking a lot of overlap with the "don't spill your seed or it reduces your masculine energy" and "women exist to make men happy which includes carrying babies to term" and "this is a christian nation for white people" and "maybe we should start putting certain people in camps" type of bullshit.

Go sinkwash a steak or whatever stupid shit [GENERIC_WHITE_PODCASTER_BRO] said is "like totally Spartan" and leave discussion of our duties to each other to the folks who grew beyond the "NO IT'S MINE" phase all these embarrassing ass right wing toddlers are stuck in. Don't worry though, we'll still treat you with basic fucking dignity, not that you would do the same for everyone else.

"Hey, how can I turn 'I don't eat junk food' into an opportunity to vent my mindless anger?"

getting arterosclerosis to own the... *checks notes* I don't even know anymore
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #50554 on: March 17, 2023, 04:33:08 pm »

The viewership already seeks more radical news sources like Newsmax.

Both Newsmax and OANN are in extreme difficulty due to lack of viewers. They had a significant rise in 2020, but have been in freefall since, not even factoring in that a lot of cable companies are dropping their TV arms.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #50555 on: March 17, 2023, 05:36:33 pm »

Trump will surrender to face charges if indicted, defense lawyer says

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/17/trump-will-surrender-to-face-charges-if-indicted-defense-lawyer-says.html

Spoiler: article (click to show/hide)

Hot damn.  I guess he's trying to keep any worries about flight risk down though.  There's a lot of reason to think he wont be jailed, imo

P: for article update.  He might be charged over the Stormy Daniels 'hush money', which he allegedly launder money through various business to discretely provide.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 06:56:52 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50556 on: March 17, 2023, 07:22:38 pm »

I just finished my taxes.  I really wish the US would simplify their systems.  I had to fill out so many forms this year...  I had to fill out 13 schedules for federal this year.

My state taxes are much simpler; only 2 schedules, and one is because my state is goofy and instead instead of just attaching your W2s, they make you copy the info to a schedule.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50557 on: March 17, 2023, 07:41:52 pm »

First, murder the CEOs of turbotax and co.

Then, tax reform!

I wish that was more of a joke than it is. It would be astoundingly trivial to effectively entirely automate our tax filing -- for the vast majority of the population, every bit of tax information you file, the tax office you're filling to already has the information. Unfortunately, companies like turbotax have spent millions of dollars lobbying to prevent the IRS and whatnot from just filing the damn things for you, because it lets them fuck people over in order to make bucks. As long as they're in the way, simplifying the process and saving the country millions of hours of labor and billions of dollars will remain far, far more of a challenge than it should be.

As with most things, blame capitalism and eat yeet the rich.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50558 on: March 17, 2023, 08:08:22 pm »

I mean maybe it's partly TurboTax, but I think it's also the fact it's made by lawmakers and not engineers.  I mean there are forms that are literally circular references: "your AGI is the sum of these numbers, but if one of the numbers in the sum is negative, it can only be negative if your AGI minus that entry is less than some amount."  But instead of computing the partial sum first (which would make sense) they instead make you do the full sum, then subtract off some parts of it - you have to go back and forth between different forms four or five times.

I'm amazed that over the years I've only had the IRS send me "we corrected this error for you, you owe us $20" or "we corrected this error, we reduced your refund by $100" twice.

I think I'm going to have to break down and hire an accountant this year; having a death in the family and my wife being a named beneficiary on some things makes me wary of really complex situations.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50559 on: March 17, 2023, 08:25:02 pm »

I mean maybe it's partly TurboTax, but I think it's also the fact it's made by lawmakers and not engineers.
Specifically, lawmakers that are having lots of money paraded around them by lobbyists hired by tax prep companies. A lot of that shit has been made complicated and difficult to navigate intentionally, under advice from people that profit from it being complicated and difficult to navigate, especially when it's advice being given to lawmakers that have an ideological goal of making the process as miserable as they can manage.

I think I'm going to have to break down and hire an accountant this year; having a death in the family and my wife being a named beneficiary on some things makes me wary of really complex situations.
And case in point, it works, particularly when someone expects to have trouble :-\

Any case, best of luck. The process shouldn't be nearly as difficult at it is. Most people are aware it shouldn't be nearly as difficult as it is, if not the reasons, it's just the culprits of that aren't held nearly as accountable as they should be.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #50560 on: March 17, 2023, 08:27:25 pm »

Specifically, lawmakers that are having lots of money paraded around them by lobbyists hired by tax prep companies. A lot of that shit has been made complicated and difficult to navigate intentionally, under advice from people that profit from it being complicated and difficult to navigate, especially when it's advice being given to lawmakers that have an ideological goal of making the process as miserable as they can manage.

Note that this isn't some kind of conspiracy theory. It is documented fact.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #50561 on: March 17, 2023, 08:32:59 pm »

I mean maybe it's partly TurboTax, but I think it's also the fact it's made by lawmakers and not engineers.  I mean there are forms that are literally circular references: "your AGI is the sum of these numbers, but if one of the numbers in the sum is negative, it can only be negative if your AGI minus that entry is less than some amount."
No, its 100% turbotax and similar groups like H&R block that benefit from people having to do their own taxes that are to blame here. Your gripe of stuff being stupid and complicated for no reason is also their fault to some degree. See, it turns out that the harder and more annoying filing taxes is and the easier it is to mess up the more money people use turbotax/tax prep people.

A simple way to look at America is that if something is wrong and a small group of rich people/companies benefit from it and all it does is annoy/minorly upset everyone else in the country then it isn't a bug, its a feature of American Capitalism.
I am still just sort of gobsmacked to be accused — accused! By two different people! — of being "Paleo". Is processed food mandatory now?! Sooooo weird. Man. Whatever.

Do you raise/grow, slaughter, butcher and cook your own food exclusively?

No? Then congratulations. You're eating processed food.
As long as you do *anything* to it before you eat its processed, it doesn't matter if you slaughter it yourself unless you are eating it raw off the bone its processed.

But his greater point of highly processed food being bad for you is in general completely correct.
Not all the time of course, you can process a food more and make it more healthy.

However the simple fact of the matter is that heavily processed foods typically have a ton more added sugar/salt in them even if you ignore the stuff (*cough* forever chemicals *cough*) that should never be in food in the first place and that other stuff that probably isn't quite safe but also isn't outlawed yet by the weak FDA.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50562 on: March 17, 2023, 09:20:19 pm »

But his greater point of highly processed food being bad for you is in general completely correct.
Not all the time of course, you can process a food more and make it more healthy.

However the simple fact of the matter is that heavily processed foods typically have a ton more added sugar/salt in them even if you ignore the stuff (*cough* forever chemicals *cough*) that should never be in food in the first place and that other stuff that probably isn't quite safe but also isn't outlawed yet by the weak FDA.
Right?  There are good reasons to avoid over-reliance on it.  Spin brought up the waste of shipping it around, and that's also a good point.

But it being "natural" or not is utterly unrelated to morality... which Spin also technically said, while describing it in a very negative light.  I guess I don't follow the point.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50563 on: March 17, 2023, 09:47:15 pm »

I mean maybe it's partly TurboTax, but I think it's also the fact it's made by lawmakers and not engineers.  I mean there are forms that are literally circular references: "your AGI is the sum of these numbers, but if one of the numbers in the sum is negative, it can only be negative if your AGI minus that entry is less than some amount."
No, its 100% turbotax and similar groups like H&R block that benefit from people having to do their own taxes that are to blame here. Your gripe of stuff being stupid and complicated for no reason is also their fault to some degree. See, it turns out that the harder and more annoying filing taxes is and the easier it is to mess up the more money people use turbotax/tax prep people.

A simple way to look at America is that if something is wrong and a small group of rich people/companies benefit from it and all it does is annoy/minorly upset everyone else in the country then it isn't a bug, its a feature of American Capitalism.

As someone who works as an actual tax preparer for a tax preparation company, heretofore and forevermore unnamed, I'd like to just chime in to say you're mostly right. Things are made difficult on purpose and, to put my tin hat on, taxes aren't taught in public schools specifically to squeeze money out of ignorant people, and to obfuscate the inner workings of the system so it is legitimately difficult to tell how the system works. If you can't tell how the system even works, how can you fight against it?

I will partially defend my own job however, and say that the taxation system is a somewhat good pressure valve to relieve the strain on poor folks, as people making little money generally are getting the lion's share of the available refundable credits, and if you made less than 12,950 of taxable income, then you don't even have to file taxes. Though it might still be a good idea to collect your withholdings, the EIC, the CTC, the AOTC, and any credits particular to your state. There's more obscure credits you can be entitled to, but those are for obscure situations.

Also, while the IRS does get a copy of all the income you've earned... that's through money that was correctly reported from an employer on a W-2. The IRS cannot tell how much you've earned while self-employed, aka Under-the table. You're supposed to report all income, no matter the source, and the IRS is not omniscient. Of course, you can just elect to not report that income and hope the government never notices... which is easy for small sums, but anything bigger than that, then good luck. The Tax Man is Watching.

Also, the IRS cannot tell if your life situation has changed, and having a professional to walk you through the tax process and correctly assess your life situation is important because people's lives and family situations have a habit of becoming stupidly fucking complicated. For an easy example: suppose a boyfriend and girlfriend live together all year with their child, which they just had that year. The IRS is not keeping track of who's having babies, or where those babies are living, or who's taking care of them, and it's up to the couple here to decide who gets the Head of Household Filing status, the Child Tax Credit, the Dependent Care Credit (if applicable), and the Earned Income Credit. These are significant, and the laws surrounding them are pretty strict in order to avoid fraudulent claims.

I'm still a first year tax pro, but I can see how the system kinda works.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 09:50:33 pm by JoshuaFH »

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #50564 on: March 17, 2023, 10:12:25 pm »

Quote from: JoshuaFH
if you made less than 12,950 of taxable income, then you don't even have to file taxes

Is this actually true???
Pages: 1 ... 3369 3370 [3371] 3372 3373 ... 3568