Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3347 3348 [3349] 3350 3351 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4233110 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #50220 on: January 04, 2023, 04:07:14 pm »

[Sad trombone]
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50221 on: January 05, 2023, 01:28:53 am »

It's hardly significant.  Republicans have a slim majority in the House, Democrats have a slim majority (maybe) in the Senate, the President is a Democrat, and the Supreme Court has a solid Conservative bloc.

Nothing was going to happen anyways.  At least Santos can't be sworn into office until a Speaker is appointed...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #50222 on: January 05, 2023, 01:50:33 am »

It certainly does not make the Republicans look good. They’ve tried 6 times despite very little changing to actually make a vote succeed.

This is the naked ambition of Kevin McCarthy expecting everyone to roll over for him the same way he rolled over for Trump, versus the naked ambition of a pool of Trumpettes trying to get cushy jobs on committees and have a little extra power in the House, rather than getting on with the job of representing their constituents.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50223 on: January 05, 2023, 01:57:59 am »

It certainly does not make the Republicans look good. They’ve tried 6 times despite very little changing to actually make a vote succeed.

This is the naked ambition of Kevin McCarthy expecting everyone to roll over for him the same way he rolled over for Trump, versus the naked ambition of a pool of Trumpettes trying to get cushy jobs on committees and have a little extra power in the House, rather than getting on with the job of representing their constituents.

Maybe their constituents hate Kevin McCarthy?  :P

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50224 on: January 05, 2023, 02:09:27 am »

Only the ones in those 20 congressional seats, apparently :p
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #50225 on: January 05, 2023, 03:36:09 am »

So is this one of those "the government cannot proceed until this thing is done" things? I want to make an "and then John was the Belgium" joke
Love, scriver~

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50226 on: January 05, 2023, 04:56:55 am »

So is this one of those "the government cannot proceed until this thing is done" things? I want to make an "and then John was the Belgium" joke
Yup. You may fire when ready.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #50227 on: January 05, 2023, 05:10:17 am »

6x fail for McCarthy.

I really hope that this internal strife will bring about the end of the Republican Party. Ofcourse it won't, but hey, a man can dream.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50228 on: January 05, 2023, 05:21:25 am »

6x fail for McCarthy.

I really hope that this internal strife will bring about the end of the Republican Party. Ofcourse it won't, but hey, a man can dream.
It's more likely the more extreme elements will gain additional power, and McCarthy will have to cater to their agenda to pass legislation.
It's a power play, not an implosion.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #50229 on: January 05, 2023, 09:04:59 am »

He's tried to do just that, and his promised concessions have only won him 10 or so of the 18 he needs. The bigger problem the GOP faces is that McCarthy is probably the most popular potential candidate - anybody that veers much more toward the HFC is going to start losing the more moderate wing (which, to be explicitly clear, does still exist).

This standoff can only go on so long. Either the HFC breaks and goes McCarthy, or people start crossing the aisle. Either a Republican that can get enough Dem votes and a large enough chunk of GOP voters, or else you get 20-30 GOP moderates to go for a conservative-wing Democrat. Which of these three scenarios is most likely? Damn if I know.

((There is one fourth possibility - that enough people from one side or the other keel over and die, changing the math to let somebody win. This is not likely))
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50230 on: January 05, 2023, 10:06:35 am »

Worth noting they haven't actually won him the 10, merely gotten the person informally leading a group of maybe 10ish to say things are moving in a good direction.

The main issue isn't whether McCarthy is willing to sell his soul further (he always is), but whether he feels that the mainstream Rs are willing to accept just how much of the farm he's willing to sell. He made another big step towards fully giving in last night, but there's still a bit more to go for the frog in the boiling water.

It's hardly significant.  Republicans have a slim majority in the House, Democrats have a slim majority (maybe) in the Senate, the President is a Democrat, and the Supreme Court has a solid Conservative bloc.

And the main significance (in my eyes, at least) is looking ahead to the debt ceiling and appropriations. This summer the debt ceiling will need to be raised again, risking sovereign debt default and potential global economic turmoil, while this fall the government needs affirmative funding again, risking... well, a lot less than the debt ceiling but still national disruption via government shutdown.

It was already looking like the House speaker wasn't going to survive either of those votes, but with the concessions McCarthy is making a speaker may have some serious difficulty even trying those votes. I'm honestly getting pretty worried about the debt ceiling.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50231 on: January 05, 2023, 06:28:23 pm »

The BBC have given up apparently. The subheading for the past four or so votes has remained the same, they just update the number in the headline.

It’s at 10 now.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #50232 on: January 05, 2023, 06:36:58 pm »

I love how some of the Democrats are bringing popcorn
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50233 on: January 05, 2023, 07:22:12 pm »

Wake me up when it gets into the 130s... ;)

/goes into hibernation for the duration

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50234 on: January 05, 2023, 07:31:07 pm »

If it goes on that long it might manage to hit that upcoming major economic whatever it is in a month or three. You probably wouldn't need to be woken up at that point, because the world economy would be imploding and you'd likely be plenty awake :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 3347 3348 [3349] 3350 3351 ... 3567