Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3318 3319 [3320] 3321 3322 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4233312 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #49785 on: October 26, 2022, 05:00:05 pm »

So, there is this new podcast about the political unrest cause by Hitler's agents in the USA, to either keep the USA in a state of isolation or to co-align the USA's political body with Hitler's Germany.

After listening to the 4 currently-available podcasts and looking through newspapers from the 1940's, there was a lot going on pre-WWII that mirrors what happened just recently in the USA.

I have these questions...

Did Russia actually obtain the Nazi's written plans during their occupation of German soil?

Did Putin's regime have exposure to the study of those plans and implement their version of them, or did the Russian version of their influencer campaign develop in parallel to the Nazi version?

And less seriously but fully in alignment..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49786 on: October 26, 2022, 06:47:00 pm »

I'm actually quite in favor of mandatory vasectomies for all male candidates for political office.
Reasonable enough. The point of a court eunuch is that he can't consolidate power by starting a lineage. This is in the interests of 'the public' to enforce on our servants as well.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49787 on: October 26, 2022, 06:50:01 pm »

So, there is this new podcast about the political unrest cause by Hitler's agents in the USA, to either keep the USA in a state of isolation or to co-align the USA's political body with Hitler's Germany.

After listening to the 4 currently-available podcasts and looking through newspapers from the 1940's, there was a lot going on pre-WWII that mirrors what happened just recently in the USA.

Did Russia actually obtain the Nazi's written plans during their occupation of German soil?

Did Putin's regime have exposure to the study of those plans and implement their version of them, or did the Russian version of their influencer campaign develop in parallel to the Nazi version?

Well, I'd say:

1. It's not like the idea of seeding unrest in your foe's homeland is a secret one. Russia could have easily been thinking that at the same time as the Nazis. Consider who was running East Germany immediately afterwards and how they ran it.
2. I would likely wager they were running in parallel.
3. Putin is ruthless. Maybe not quite as ruthless as Stalin. Or maybe he just has to operate in a world where his ruthlessness cannot go unnoticed, so it has to be more moderated.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #49788 on: October 26, 2022, 07:07:03 pm »

What the Nazis were doing in the US and UK interbellum was nothing unique. All that paranoia about Soviet influence in the peace movement and counter-culture in the 60s? That didn't come out of nowhere - it is proven that large chunks of the peace movements in the democratic nations in the 30s were backed by the Reich or the Soviets. Both of the totalitarian systems of the period had the obliteration of the other as a core ideological tenet despite a temporary willingness to work together, and they both had ideological reasons to consider the democratic powers as potential allies of their great enemy. Thus, a deliberate attempt to hobble the UK and US was made by both sides.

More directly relevant to today, the Italian invasion of Greece happened during the period that the Reich and the Soviets were playing nice. For some reason, the Greek communist groups vehemently opposed the Greek "warmongering" resistance, and came very close to outright sabotage of the defense. After the Germans bailed out Italy and managed to take out the country, the Greek communists were fairly cordial to the occupiers until 22 June, 1941, at which time they suddenly began agitating against the Imperialist Invader.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49789 on: October 28, 2022, 01:16:32 pm »

So yeah. Pelosi's husband appears to be in the hospital after someone broke into their california home looking for her.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #49790 on: October 28, 2022, 01:54:45 pm »

Specifically, the guy beat him with a sledgehammer and sat down "to wait for Nancy". Somehow he was unaware that Pelosi currently resides in DC in order to fulfill her official duties, and that she's also going to be spending what spare time she has campaigning.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #49791 on: October 28, 2022, 03:38:12 pm »

That qualifies as an assassination attempt, right? This just happens now?

It's sad and disturbing.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49792 on: October 28, 2022, 03:41:45 pm »

The trend is upwards.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49793 on: October 28, 2022, 03:42:30 pm »

It takes some skill to hold a sledgehammer and only 'beat' another person.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #49794 on: October 28, 2022, 03:51:09 pm »

If by beat we mean 'requires the victim to undergo immediate brain surgery' then yes, Mr. Pelosi was only 'beaten.'

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49795 on: October 28, 2022, 03:56:49 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong....but I thought he was ALREADY scheduled for brain surgery on the day of the attack.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49796 on: October 28, 2022, 03:59:21 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong....but I thought he was ALREADY scheduled for brain surgery on the day of the attack.

Where did you hear this? It's not in any of the news articles I've seen.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49797 on: October 28, 2022, 04:08:31 pm »

Guess we were all wrong.

https://twitter.com/nbcbayarea/status/1586042564561584129

UPDATE: Nancy Pelosi's office says Paul Pelosi underwent surgery, not brain surgery, after Friday's attack.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49798 on: October 28, 2022, 05:16:24 pm »

That qualifies as an assassination attempt, right? This just happens now?

It's sad and disturbing.
Chatter was noting it was the second one (noticed by the public) on pelosi this year, for that matter. Haven't bothered to double check it, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #49799 on: October 28, 2022, 09:56:54 pm »

Jesus fucking Christ. It's about time you start putting all Trump supporters and conspiracidiots in closed psych wards with anti biting and spitting masks. Your country is a sick puppy.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 3318 3319 [3320] 3321 3322 ... 3567