Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3315 3316 [3317] 3318 3319 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4235416 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #49740 on: October 22, 2022, 01:10:07 am »

They weren’t fighting authoritarianism, they were wasting time and money doing something they had the power to stop pretty much immediately by voting on it.

Or, to put it in your terms, fighting a pandemic is good, except when Democrats do it by following the advice given by healthcare experts the world over.

I can pretty much assure you that neither political party is as organized as you apparently think they are...

Deep breath....

So, the Governor and their party members do no always agree, regardless of Party Affiliation.

When anyone fails to link articles, it denies others the ability to review the claims. This erodes confidence in the claims.

When anyone talks "generally", they're generally wrong. There tend to be more exceptions than rules. I'm also mostly against generalizations because they allow a small number of people to avoid mostly avoid blame, and a large number of people to receive undue blame.

I don’t think I mentioned anything about parties being organised? I’m not sure what you mean. The Republicans in this instance were organised enough to realise that having the judiciary rule on throwing out a mask mandate would be less harmful to them than if things got worse afterward had they been the ones to vote in it in the legislature.

You are connected to the internet presumably? Possibly search “Wisconsin Republicans lawsuit mask mandate” and maybe even 2020 to narrow it down because I’m reasonably sure they did it more than once, and you could probably figure it out from there if you had more than a passing interest. It’s not like I said the Republicans somewhere did a really bad thing in response to a really good thing at some indeterminate time.

This is also not what you said in response to my lack of supporting articles, instead making a snarky comment about authoritarianism, which made no sense, but I’m not sure how someone overstepping their authority, particularly in response to a crisis, is authoritarian, especiallly when I mentioned the existence of at least two mechanisms to prevent that overstepping, one of which was used.

I also made reference to a very specific choice made by a very specific group about a very specific event at an admittedly not very specific time because it was almost 2.5 years ago, so I have no idea why you bring up generalisations, particularly in light of your recent post re:voting out incumbents.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 01:11:44 am by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #49741 on: October 22, 2022, 01:23:04 am »

Whatever  ::)

I found an interesting article from 2013 that gave me some hope for the future.  The problems seem to still exist today.

https://www.nationalaffairs.com/publications/detail/kludgeocracy-in-america

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49742 on: October 22, 2022, 01:36:19 am »

Quite so, brevity is the soul of wit, thus:

If you wish for a dialogue, quit moving the goalposts.

If you wish for clarification or citation, ask for it.

Quite frankly I don’t really understand why you post if you don’t want to engage.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49743 on: October 22, 2022, 01:59:39 am »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49744 on: October 22, 2022, 02:06:41 am »

You Don’t Know nuffin’.

Mostly regarding my desire to actually pick the brain of a conservative that isn’t Bumber, or whoever I mean, ‘cause I might learn but nah let’s just continue posting songs we like.

Edit: just remembered what the first line of the song is, that is absolutely not what I’m saying, I just like the song.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 02:10:07 am by hector13 »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49745 on: October 22, 2022, 02:26:13 am »

I see no reason to be abused in the name of dialog.
It might help to understand your bias, political background, and nationality, so I know how much explanation that I need to do before I can actually engage in a dialog.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #49746 on: October 22, 2022, 09:21:02 am »

As a literal born-here Wisconsinite, hector's spoken the point better than I could. You're not engaging in a dialogue, you're littering ideological detritus and then ignoring it when someone points it out to you.

Scott Walker and the state conservatives flexed the power of the governor as much as they wanted until his term was over, then they limited the power of the governor as much as they could, since Evers is not a conservative. With the pandemic, Evers was making mandates and requesting voting extensions at recommendation of medical experts, but the state supreme court was choosing not to hear his requests, stating that they cannot make judgments being that they are not medical experts instead of, y'know, listening to experts. Also, there were lawsuits because the medical experts in question were not elected officials.

Conservatives also blocked every measure to distribute absentee ballots to all registered voters, or extend or delay the election in early 2020 to when people would a) know more about the pandemic, b) have more poll workers available, c) give voters more time to figure out absentee voting. Here's what Green Bay, Wisconsin thought about it, along with about thirty links about it

And speaking for Milwaukee, it reduced voting turnout by a third.

You can cut the 'masks are authoritarian tyranny' bullshit, one party was specifically opposing science and opposing the rights of people to vote safely during the pandemic. That was conservatives. Rebecca Kleefisch, who's running for governor, literally campaigned in her ads about "Tyrannical Evers" while soliciting donations a la Donald Trump's "It's not too late! Donate $50 this week (weekly) to stop the Democrats! We'll triple your donation if you do it before 10pm, our donation bonus is activated!"

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49747 on: October 22, 2022, 10:29:25 am »

I see no reason to be abused in the name of dialog.
It might help to understand your bias, political background, and nationality, so I know how much explanation that I need to do before I can actually engage in a dialog.

Where are you being abused, and why do any of those things matter?

Also I had forgotten about what the Republicans did after Walker. I was furious but impressed by how brazen they were in thinking everybody was so stupid to believe they’d been planning to do it for years, even though Walker had been in power for 10 years and they did it in the period between Walker leaving and Evers starting.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 10:34:34 am by hector13 »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #49748 on: October 22, 2022, 10:31:56 am »

Just putting it out there that a bet made today on Trump being nominated as the GOP candidate pays 75c on the dollar.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49749 on: October 22, 2022, 11:03:32 am »

As a literal born-here Wisconsinite, hector's spoken the point better than I could. You're not engaging in a dialogue, you're littering ideological detritus and then ignoring it when someone points it out to you.
First off, it's nice to hear from someone that actually knows something about Wisconsin. So thanks for that.

Scott Walker and the state conservatives flexed the power of the governor as much as they wanted until his term was over, then they limited the power of the governor as much as they could, since Evers is not a conservative.
I have no reason to doubt this, as that is what any party does.  I'm sure that is in the future for New York and the democrats.

With the pandemic, Evers was making mandates and requesting voting extensions at recommendation of medical experts, but the state supreme court was choosing not to hear his requests, stating that they cannot make judgments being that they are not medical experts instead of, y'know, listening to experts. Also, there were lawsuits because the medical experts in question were not elected officials.
There is a definite legal argument to be made that only elected officials can make decisions. Although I don't know the specific nature of the lawsuit.
Not all mandates are bad, and not all mandates are good.

Conservatives also blocked every measure to distribute absentee ballots to all registered voters
This mostly sucks. All registered voters should have gotten absentee ballots.  Because they're registered voters.

, or extend or delay the election in early 2020
This I agree with.  I'm generally opposed to moving election dates around, as it is hard enough to get people to show up even when they know what day the election occurs.  Moving it around just means less voters.

to when people would a) know more about the pandemic, b) have more poll workers available, c) give voters more time to figure out absentee voting. Here's what Green Bay, Wisconsin thought about it, along with about thirty links about it

And speaking for Milwaukee, it reduced voting turnout by a third.
There are some valid concerns here.  I personally don't think they're enough, but this is 2 years later with all knowledge of COVID available.  COVID killed the brain cells that remembered a lot of the 2020 election.

You can cut the 'masks are authoritarian tyranny' bullshit,
At no point did I say this.  Please stop putting words into my mouth, or making assumptions about me.

one party was specifically opposing science and opposing the rights of people to vote safely during the pandemic. That was conservatives. Rebecca Kleefisch, who's running for governor, literally campaigned in her ads about "Tyrannical Evers" while soliciting donations a la Donald Trump's "It's not too late! Donate $50 this week (weekly) to stop the Democrats! We'll triple your donation if you do it before 10pm, our donation bonus is activated!"
Calls to safety are how we get tyranny.
Emergency Powers have to end sometime. I'm not arguing that they should have never been wielded, but rather that they were welded too long.

Stop treating me like the Right Wingers that you hate, and maybe we can engage in actual dialog instead of constantly forcing me to defend positions I don't believe in.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49750 on: October 22, 2022, 11:16:56 am »

Where are you being:

Treated like a right-winger?

Forced to defend positions you don’t believe in?

I also noticed you missed my previous questions. If I’m being abusive I’d like to know how so I don’t, and why does my political bias, background, and nationality matter for discourse?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 11:18:34 am by hector13 »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49751 on: October 22, 2022, 03:03:47 pm »

Where are you being:

Treated like a right-winger?

Forced to defend positions you don’t believe in?

I also noticed you missed my previous questions. If I’m being abusive I’d like to know how so I don’t, and why does my political bias, background, and nationality matter for discourse?
This is abusive.  I didn't post to get interrogated and grilled over how I apparently missed your questions, nor to be placed into a position where I'm apparently required to answer all of your questions.
The apparent idea that only I am explicitly always required to answer questions, and you are not, is also abusive.  You're expressing, to me, classic abusive behaviors.

As for your first two questions, I'll humor you and answer. But to be clear, I have all rights in the world to just ignore you, or tell you off.
Understand that fact if you wish to "continue to engage in civil dialog", as you apparently wish to frame the issue.

I was "Treated like a right-winger?" and "Forced to defend positions I don't believe in?" regarding None's accusation that I'm Peddling '"masks are authoritarian tyranny' bullshit"

You know what, hectorbraindead13? I wasn't even talking to you, so you can just fuck off.  I don't need to get gangbanged by the libs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49752 on: October 22, 2022, 03:09:10 pm »

Do not pick a fight or insult another poster.  Do not continue a fight if you feel you have been insulted.  Report it to the moderator.  If you instead respond in kind, you run the risk of being considered part of the problem. First part of the forum guidelines - a useful reminder when discussion escalates needlessly

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49753 on: October 22, 2022, 04:02:02 pm »

Do not pick a fight or insult another poster.  Do not continue a fight if you feel you have been insulted.  Report it to the moderator.  If you instead respond in kind, you run the risk of being considered part of the problem. First part of the forum guidelines - a useful reminder when discussion escalates needlessly

What about forum stalking?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49754 on: October 22, 2022, 04:07:36 pm »

You report it and let the moderator help you sort it out, but a start would be to use the "ignore poster" function.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 3315 3316 [3317] 3318 3319 ... 3567