Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3292 3293 [3294] 3295 3296 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4235354 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #49395 on: August 12, 2022, 07:59:13 pm »

Also, the warrant involved in the raid is now apparently public. Bit of a problem with them since Brietbart released unredacted versions that has the names of the agents involved on them, so... yeah. Try to find the scrubbed versions if you go looking, probably.

... but anyway, going by those someone (that someone being trump) is now looking down the potentially more literal that not barrel of multiple Espionage Act charges (which people have been executed for before; not likely with trump, but the potential penalties for that one very much go all the way). What happens next is going to be a hell of a thing, one way or another.

E: Oh, and for the curious that haven't noticed, this particular case is one of those where presidential declassification power is actually limited -- trump couldn't have unilaterally declassified any information that involved nuclear technology. If he had those without congressional approval, he's just kinda' fucked with no legal recourse.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 08:04:37 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #49396 on: August 12, 2022, 08:03:51 pm »

There are things going around that are saying that because he, as a former president, said the documents were declassified that the documents are automatically declassified, which is a little bit bananas.

Apparently the three things he was being investigated for as part of the Espionage Act don’t really care whether the documents were classified or not though.

Shit might get real.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49397 on: August 12, 2022, 08:04:23 pm »

Yep. I assume that just making off with the documents is already going to be a serious charge, and the only real defense he has against getting caught red-handed with them is "consequences are for the poor"

Where it gets spicy is if there's enough evidence to press for a charge of trying to sell those secrets to a foreign power. Though like I said earlier, how well that route goes depends on whether the most likely benefactor is Russia or Saudi Arabia.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49398 on: August 12, 2022, 08:06:44 pm »

There are things going around that are saying that because he, as a former president, said the documents were declassified that the documents are automatically declassified, which is a little bit bananas.
You caught me before an edit finished, ha. The interesting thing in this case is that if they do, in fact, involve nuclear technology, his declassification powers literally don't matter. POTUS does not have the power to unilaterally declassify documentation involving nuclear tech, flat out. The laws have a specific exception carved out for that, executive branch just doesn't have that power. If he did have stuff involving that, he's just flat fucked so far as legal outcomes go.
Ask not!
Ask!

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49399 on: August 12, 2022, 08:46:51 pm »

Also worth noting that, regardless of how much one may dislike Trump (and I certainly do not like the person), the Espionage Act is the one and the same crummy WW1-era law that the government frequently uses against reporters - it's broadly written and generally a rough law.

So good to learn more about the details, as invoking that particular statute doesn't automatically mean the potential offense is massive.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #49400 on: August 12, 2022, 08:47:10 pm »

Uhh, guys this is a Republican we're talking about. Don't get your hopes up. Best case he gets hit with a felony and walks scott free.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49401 on: August 12, 2022, 09:11:27 pm »

Quote from: Homer
It's pronounced "Nucular"...

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #49402 on: August 12, 2022, 11:46:38 pm »

Man, I can’t believe the feds got a UR Nuclear Launch Codes from the Trump lootbox on the first pull.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #49404 on: August 12, 2022, 11:53:55 pm »

Where the fuck is he getting that Obama took 33m pages of documents?

How the fuck do people not see through this bullshit?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49405 on: August 13, 2022, 12:24:02 am »

It would be comical if not so frightening.

I'm afraid to see what might happen if Trump is actually arrested.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49406 on: August 13, 2022, 01:29:16 am »

Apparently after Obama handed in all pertinent documents to the government, 33m of them were moved to a secure location in Chicago. Literally that was Obama's involvement.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49407 on: August 13, 2022, 06:37:37 am »

33 meters of documents?  ;D

#capitalization-matters

(I feel dirty.)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49408 on: August 13, 2022, 06:46:58 am »

Where the fuck is he getting that Obama took 33m pages of documents?
He's lying about what's been involved with getting obama's presidential library set up.

Obama never took the documents, they were handed over to the national archive folks (i.e. the people that's actually supposed to have documents related to the president after their term), who transported the materials to a secure location in order to begin the process of digitization and copying for public-ish archiving, as appropriate. That process is going kind of slower than it should, from what I picked up, but literally everything about it is completely above board and was handled legally and following established procedure for such document handling.

Quite unlike, y'know, fucking off with boxes of undeclared classified files and then lying to federal officials about what you had and what you intentionally failed to return as required.
Ask not!
Ask!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49409 on: August 13, 2022, 07:02:23 am »

33 meters of documents?  ;D

#capitalization-matters

(I feel dirty.)

Well depending on which way you you stack them and how well that might be about right

It's the burometric system 1 meter paperwork = 1 million documents = 1 month of time lost = 1 measure of sanity lost = uno mas steel in staples
let
Pages: 1 ... 3292 3293 [3294] 3295 3296 ... 3567