Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3274 3275 [3276] 3277 3278 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228933 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #49125 on: July 11, 2022, 05:22:12 pm »

I bought a dash cam specifically to record interactions with police officers from within my car. By this law, I'd be required to turn off my dash cam or be in violation of the law. Which is total bullshit. That'd be like a cop walking into your home and telling you to turn off your phone.
To "steelman" this, the bill does allow people to record traffic stops from their car, and an authorized person on private property can keep recording from another room within 8ft.  These are the pitfalls so obvious that the writers of the bill made exceptions.

But all that goes out the window if the officer claims the person is "interfering" in any way, making the exceptions moot.

Plus most people aren't going to know about the technicalities, and assume they just can't record officers.  Especially if officers lie about it... which they're legally allowed and encouraged to do, remember?

The end result of this bill is to obfuscate people's rights, and give officers another misdemeanor they can slap you with if you don't "cooperate" with their deceitful tactics.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49126 on: July 11, 2022, 05:45:03 pm »

Lets not forget a goal of a lot of these laws. The chilling effect. Technically you can record in a variety of situations, but the fear of accidentally doing something illegal will give them the effect they want, more people will stop recording the police. Now given the track record of police hiding footage of their own crimes and lying about what happened, this law exists for really only one reason. Let police commit more crimes.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #49127 on: July 11, 2022, 05:45:46 pm »

There's no reasonable, utilitarian or pragmatic argument for the gun situation in the US now. Honestly you can find research to vaguely point at whatever you want. However, the overwhelming body of evidence is simply: less guns available, less gun deaths. This means any amount of gun control will save lives. Even foolish and easily dodged Dem-written laws probably saved a few handfuls of lives. This also means the more the NRA push 'the need to have guns', they're certainly getting people dead.

Really, the argument from the pro-gun side is that the number of deaths from guns is worth it, because it's factually wrong to say more guns means less gun deaths. Suicide is a great example. Access to firearms greatly improves success rates in suicide.

Suicide is voluntary, and shouldn't impede on one's right to have one for purposes of hunting or self-defense. If the person who dies was trying to rape or murder someone, that also matters.

Recent mass shooters have been people who clearly shouldn't have been able to have guns buying them anyway because existing law wasn't invoked.
See: July 4th shooter, Buffalo shooter, and Uvalde shooter.

The Buffalo shooter supposedly targeted New York because of its strict gun laws.

And then you have liberal DA's like George Gascón who under-prosecute possession of illegal firearm possession, and the criminal goes out and grabs another firearm and commits a crime with it while out on probation or bail.
See: Marquise Hulse carjacking and El Monte double homicide.

Gun laws aren't particularly effective when not enforced.

Going to dig up this old post due to relevance:
And I find it curious that states which pushed for restrictive gun laws presumably have the same people that voted for it refusing to enforce it.

See Gascón examples above, and Alvin Bragg before he did a 180. They don't like to prosecute crimes regardless.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 05:58:32 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49128 on: July 11, 2022, 06:19:13 pm »

Oh gosh yes, those "liberal" DAs so well known for their unwillingness to prosecute gun crime....... . . . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Couldn't even be remotely possible that their stance was originally based on appeasing people who view any sort of gun regulation as a crime against Jesus, before other people decided that public safety mattered more than re-election campaigns. No, no chance of that whatsoever.

As for Gascón, you seem to be confusing a plea deal for your oh so damning liberal bias. Now if you were talking drug offenses, loitering, hell even robbery by drug addicts, you might have steadier ground to stand on. But I'll continue to sit here and enjoy you trying to paint liberals as the reason gun control hasn't worked so far.

Should he have gotten that plea deal? In my mind no. Then again, I'm not a prosecuting DA in one of the highest crime states in the nation.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 06:40:02 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #49129 on: July 11, 2022, 07:10:18 pm »

Bumber, correct me if I'm wrong here but it looks like your argument is: American gun control is presently adequate, but unenforced.

What is your criteria for adequate?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49130 on: July 12, 2022, 06:51:27 am »

Remember folks, we entirely neutered the ATF. Intentionally. It can be fixed.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49131 on: July 12, 2022, 08:51:29 am »

Relatedly (though still limited in impact), the Senate is somewhat likely to confirm its first ATF director in quite a while this week.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #49132 on: July 12, 2022, 03:10:04 pm »

In Texas, Brandy Bottone, 36 weeks pregnant, is going to court to appeal a traffic ticket she was handed by the police, for driving alone in her car in the carpool lane.
She says that, since the new anti-abortion law in Texas defines a foetus to be a 'person' from conception to birth, she was not driving alone in her car.

Other people are wondering if the new legal definition of a foetus as a person will give them possibilities to apply for tax deduction and child support benefits.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #49133 on: July 12, 2022, 03:27:17 pm »

Of course it won’t, anti-abortion activists only care about kids when they’re in the womb.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49134 on: July 12, 2022, 03:51:58 pm »

Of course it won’t, anti-abortion activists only care about kids when they’re in the womb.
that as a response to a question of if a child in the womb would count for tax deductions or child support is both remarkably appropriate and makes my head hurt
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49135 on: July 12, 2022, 03:58:10 pm »

Schrodinger's Rights
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49136 on: July 13, 2022, 02:11:19 pm »

I mean

We have support systems in place for pregnant mothers that take in account things like food needed to support the baby, etc. WIC in Virginia acknowledges the need to support the thing and gives the parents supplies for it. We sort of already have that.

I don't know if a tax deduction with the intent of easing the cost of pregnancy is an appropriate/correct approach, but it's not actually that insane.

EDIT: Brandy needs to understand that Brandy Jr. does not yet take up a seat in the vehicle, and that means she's not fucking carpooling.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49137 on: July 13, 2022, 02:55:48 pm »

I mean, nah, if you're going to say there's two people in that car then it should be treated as two people in the car. It might be some other violation, but it'd still count if there were two full sized people sharing a seat, too.

... let's just hope that doesn't give any texans ideas. I would be completely fucking unsurprised if some jackass cop wrote a ticket for a pregnant woman for there being two people sharing a driver seat.

E: Uh, anyway, apparently the ATF has its second ever permanent director now. Admit I'm idly wondering if Redking's aware and cares any, heh.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 03:05:29 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #49138 on: July 13, 2022, 07:19:53 pm »

10-year old girl denied abortion.

Rights of the unborn child are more important than the rights of the woman further traumatized child.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49139 on: July 13, 2022, 08:51:53 pm »

Not all people who are against abortion "ignore people after they are born".  In fact the vast majority of people who are anti-abortion are statistically very likely to try and help the disadvantaged.  This isn't sensational though, it doesn't make money, so it's not rammed down our throats as a call to "you should be enraged to this and go take political action!"  Nobody promotes doing good, the System implicitly promotes sensationalism because that's all it shows - it is self-reinforcing.

This tendency to speak with unfounded certainty and not appreciate the distribution of beliefs, and focus on the actually rare* egregious examples in the midst of a sea of mundane, is great for raising blood pressure but not much else.  It doesn't help solve the actual abuses that exist in society.

I think I've come to the conclusion that this is in no small part due to the prevalence of post-modern distrust of all authority... I mean every single law enforcement officer is a corrupt violence monger, every single CEO or person looking to make money is a greedy scumbag, every politician is out to oppress or outright kill you, on and on and on.

*In a proportional sense.  The world is so large now and so connected that even if you have an infrequent event, say a 1 in 10000 chance of something, there are just so many opportunities now that the total number of those occurrences is indeed large, so the rare events happen "often".  We are just rolling too many dice now...
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.
Pages: 1 ... 3274 3275 [3276] 3277 3278 ... 3567