Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3272 3273 [3274] 3275 3276 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4229614 times)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #49095 on: July 09, 2022, 05:52:43 am »

Didn't Australia yeet all their guns and then experience a drop in deaths?

Yeah, I've posted this link before in this threaad. https://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/compareyears/10/total_number_of_gun_deaths
Guns were yeeted in 1996 (by the right wing party) following a mass shooting known as the Port Arthur massacre.  There was a major government funded buyback which led to over a million weapons being bought and melted down.  Can still own a gun but must have a license, valid reason and the weapon must be registered.  More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_of_Australia

It's significant because if there was a will in America some version of this is a definite way forward that would result in a marked reduction gun deaths.  Other countries have had similar experiences but hurr durr american exceptionalism.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49096 on: July 09, 2022, 06:54:38 am »

Eight feet is such a strange limit though. Completely nonsensical unless it's to illegalise people recording themselves being beat up somehow or if the police approach bystanders to get them to stop filming because when the police close in it turns into a crime.

There's like no reason for it to be eight feet. Who films closer than eight feet if they can avoid it.
It was originally 15ft but got negotiated down, yes really. So hey, could have been worse?
(It's so gross)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49097 on: July 09, 2022, 06:49:16 pm »

Two links to the Arizona state government's site and the actual laws:
The pdf for the new law that was signed in. Title 13 (Criminal Code) which contains Chapter 37 (Miscellaneous Offenses) that the law is being added to.

8 feet is reasonable. Some people will push the limits, wanting to get in close while they are yelling at the police and while they are recording their video. There is a point where getting too close is a physical threat and "I'm videoing this" should not be an excuse for increasing the threat level to officers. And, the police should not be involved in intentionally blocking line-of-sight to the activity being videoed, which could be a potential source of abuse.

I looked through other laws, searching for anything about laws restricting videoing police activities, and didn't see any. The new law itself seems to only restrict videoing within 8 feet and gives exceptions for a) being in a vehicle, b) being in a building, and c) being the subject of the police activity. Inside a building, if the police officer says it is not safe and orders the video-er to leave the area, they are obliged to (there might be potential for abuse here).

This isn't a law about "you cannot video the police".
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #49098 on: July 09, 2022, 07:00:30 pm »

No media exceptions there bud. The cops move within 8ft of a journo and ask them to stop filming, refusing is a misdemeanor, and you can have whatever you’re filming with confiscated.

Don’t be so naive.

It is about protecting the police though. Derek Chauvin was videoed by a 17 year old, Chauvin was convicted of the murder and violation of the civil rights of George Floyd. If there was a law like this in Minnesota, that doesn’t happen.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 07:06:48 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49099 on: July 09, 2022, 07:56:22 pm »

8ft does sound relatively reasonable (again, it was supposed to be 15ft) but we're talking specifically about filming - not about aggressive people getting too close to cops.  That's already covered by other laws, I'm sure, or at least "I felt threatened so I reached for my taser which was accidentally my gun".

Why propose a law specifically about filming within 15ft, if it's about cop safety?

The bill anewaname helpfully linked DOES have some reassuring caveats in it, except that they're instantly mooted by the officer's feeling about the situation, so it's... well, up to the officer to be a good person.

which defeats the entire purpose of the filming.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49100 on: July 09, 2022, 08:00:49 pm »

[sarcasm]Right, officer abusing the new law, caught on video. Never considered that...[/s]

The moment officers adopt the tactic of approaching video-takers to use the law to stop the video-taking, those specific officers will be taking a personal risk.

The law is about protecting police, not from videos but from video-takers (who push and yell at close range).

The risk of the police seizing phones has always been there. The risk of bystanders attacking the police has always been there. You got to keep them separated...

EDIT: The thing is, what reason does a video-er have to get within 8 feet of a police action? Unless a police officer is intentionally blocking the view, there is none... unless that person is also planing to involve themselves physically.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 08:10:53 pm by anewaname »
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #49101 on: July 09, 2022, 08:02:41 pm »

Are the lives of our brave policefolk endangered when anyone is within 8ft any time, or only when there's videography occurring? What, then, makes video footage so dangerous to the lives of our boys in blue? Perhaps resolution degrades the body, or proximity to solid state media emits as-of-yet unknown and hazardous radiations?

Perhaps 8ft is the negotiable distance between which a cellular device may vaguely appear like a deadly weapon or some other threat, not to be confused with 15ft where it could surely be confused so?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49102 on: July 09, 2022, 08:12:58 pm »

[sarcasm]Right, officer abusing the new law, caught on video. Never considered that...[/s]
I don't think we'd ever see the video of that, no
The moment officers adopt the tactic of approaching video-takers to use the law to stop the video-taking, those specific officers will be taking a personal risk.

The law is about protecting police, not from videos but from video-takers (who push and yell at close range).
I appreciate the dangers of law enforcement more than a lot of people I know.
It's not statistically a dangerous job compared to most others, but adrenaline runs high so I understand why officers act so irrational so often.  Training, largely- it can be pretty bloodthirsty sometimes, when it isn't just deficient.  (compared to the budget for mil-surp weaponry)
The risk of the police seizing phones has always been there. The risk of bystanders attacking the police has always been there. You got to keep them separated...
So what purpose does the bill serve?
You haven't supported that this bill which is literally about recording, also supports police safety.
She/they

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49103 on: July 09, 2022, 08:15:05 pm »

EDIT: The thing is, what reason does a video-er have to get within 8 feet of a police action? Unless a police officer is intentionally blocking the view, there is none... unless that person is also planing to involve themselves physically.
The bill does list a fraction of the real-world reasons that would happen, as exceptions.  (though as usual, the officer's judgement trumps them)
She/they

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49104 on: July 09, 2022, 10:05:56 pm »

Police officers approach people recording them *all*, *the*, *time* to get them to stop recording, often lying about how its illegal to record a officer.
Per this bill they can just openly walk up to someone, give them a single warning, then just arrest them if they don't stop recording instantly.

And seriously, what personal risk? If you honestly believe that cops are in danger of or think they are in danger of getting brutally assaulted by people recording them with their phone I don't know what to say.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 10:10:57 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #49105 on: July 10, 2022, 12:03:04 am »

If someone wants to assault a police officer, given the prevalence of firearms, 8ft/15ft/100ft won’t stop them.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49106 on: July 10, 2022, 03:02:56 am »

What reason does a person taking a video have to get within 8 feet of a police action?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49107 on: July 10, 2022, 03:17:33 am »

Badge # and face.

Assuming they're even displaying either of them. Which, increasingly, they are not.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #49108 on: July 10, 2022, 03:43:01 am »

What reason does a person taking a video have to get within 8 feet of a police action?

Or to get arond them to get clear footage of them kneeling on.someone's neck.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49109 on: July 10, 2022, 10:00:49 am »

You don't have to justify exercising your First Amendment rights.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 3272 3273 [3274] 3275 3276 ... 3567