Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3267 3268 [3269] 3270 3271 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4230357 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #49020 on: July 06, 2022, 03:24:35 pm »

I guess so. What parts of the broader culture were you referring to?
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49021 on: July 06, 2022, 03:39:42 pm »

I have no idea what that is so… no.
The point is you shouldn't be surrendering the right to house and raise pitbulls, as that is clear Marxist Leftist shit.
I think. Sometimes I don't get Il Palazzo either.
Palazzo explain mode engage!
They (the aforementioned podcast; it's an actual thing) have made pretty much the same argument in a recent episode, decrying the milquetoast liberals (i.e. the not left enough bunch) for being blind to the underlying cultural issues when thinking legislature alone can fix this. I was literally asking if by chance McTraveller is a fellow listener. Though it did seem unlikely given how I think he's rather centrist. But then again, I'm hardly a revolutionary either, and I do occasionally listen to those funky commies.
This is not to say McTraveller can't form his own thoughts or that it's somehow a new point. The podcast was on mind is all.
That's all there is to it. No fancy seven-and-a-half dimensional jabs or anything. Now get back to being milquetoast!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #49022 on: July 06, 2022, 03:58:21 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_subcultures

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The interesting part is that Wikipedians are concerned that only 13% of their editors in 2010 were women, yet failed to realize that Male is Default.  13% of their editors self-identified as women. Kinda funny how the Universities response was to force the women to contribute to Wikipedia.

...and it gets worse/funnier.
In August 2014, Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales said in a BBC interview that the Wikimedia Foundation was "... really doubling down our efforts ..." to reach 25% of female editors (originally targeted by 2015), since the Foundation had "totally failed" so far. Wales said "a lot of things need to happen ... a lot of outreach, a lot of software changes".
WTF? Does your software require a penis to work to its fullest potential?
(more likely, they built in mechanisms to force editors to declare their gender)
EDIT: Reading further, it was probably safeguards to prevent abuse of editors that self-identified as women, since they apparently lacked those.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49023 on: July 06, 2022, 04:25:10 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_subcultures
A personal note that I don't think I really belong to any of those. I'd still aspire to Geek and/or Nerd but, like Scouting (if that's not slang for something other than what I assume it is!), I definitely know there are plenty of youngsters now doing that much better than I currently could.

Some of those entries need cleaning up (seem to be <ref>s), like the one that surely should be just a link to Trekkie/Trekker/both (another culture that I have been, but outclassed in by current potential standards), yet I'm not really a Wikipedian so I leave it to someone else.

Surprisingly, given I know I've checked some of those pages recently, I'm sure, only one (the Mods) showed as a visited link (I recall I was checking the main dates of that one's initial popularity, for reasons I forget).

But more interesting to see what I am, and am not, familiar with. And what things I'm familiar with that aren't even mentioned.

But thanks for the distraction!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49024 on: July 06, 2022, 05:29:47 pm »

Obviously we need more pitbulls with guns then.

crab with a knife and pitbull with a gun about to drop the hottest gangster rap album of 2022
Get ready for hot crab summer ft. mr worldwide

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49025 on: July 06, 2022, 05:33:03 pm »

I agree that the prevalence of mass shooters in America is both a cultural and societal failing, but trying to fix *those* would be extremely hard for the goverment to try to fix and almost certain to not fix the issue even assuming unlimited political will, so discussing it as an alternative to actual gun control does nothing besides deflecting away from actual working solutions.
---
As for people using knives instead of guns if they can't use guns... sure?

Obviously any events like this are bad, but if the goal is to reduce the amount of harm and deaths (and it should be) then a mass stabbing is better than a mass shooting is better than a dude going to the store and buying (and then using) enough nerve toxins to kill an entire neighborhood.
---
Plus, if you increase the difficulty and significantly reduce the number of kills and media attention these dudes are getting then mass casualty events in general will go down. The reason for this is that
 at least half of the point of these shootings is causing fear and getting the attention of the nation, which is very much not something that will happen if you stab five dudes with a knife then get overpowered.
Quote from: Starver
Some of those entries need cleaning up (seem to be <ref>s)
Bah, are you honestly telling me you don't recognize the existence of the Ken Gelder subculture?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 05:42:58 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49026 on: July 06, 2022, 05:34:17 pm »

Why Wikipedia editors need to define their gender in the first place is a little sus.

Seems like a catch-22 though. Want higher gender representation, can't because the internet hates women.

I agree that the prevalence of mass shooters in America is both a cultural and societal failing, but trying to fix *those* would be extremely hard for the goverment to try to fix and almost certain to not fix the issue even assuming unlimited political will, so discussing it as an alternative to actual gun control does nothing besides deflecting away from actual working solutions.

The two are inseparable in my mind.

The reason legislation and actual gun control will fail isn't the culture of the people buying the guns; it's the culture of people profiting from gun sales. In order to "convince them" there must be mandates, penalties and someone willing to enforce those penalties. We don't even have the mechanisms for that anymore, thanks to defunding the ATF, which would nominally be in charge of that. And as soon as a Republican takes office, or takes further control of the Senate, those efforts go up in smoke. And even if we get a nice string of Democrat Presidents and Senate control....the SC is now packed to render any attempt at gun control legislation null and void.

I doubt I will see any real gun control measures in my living life time. Unless something so traumatic happens that the fucking dipshits who don't see the correlation between our attitude toward guns and mass shootings wake up and stop carrying water for an idea and start carrying water for actual, living people.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 05:42:57 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #49027 on: July 06, 2022, 06:03:09 pm »

Just a quick note on the cars/guns comparison:

The primary purpose of a car is transportation.
The primary purpose of a gun is to kill.

These are not the same thing.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #49028 on: July 06, 2022, 07:14:48 pm »

Why Wikipedia editors need to define their gender in the first place is a little sus.

It's meant to help the Ken Gelder subculture do their work.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49029 on: July 06, 2022, 07:26:57 pm »

Just a quick note on the cars/guns comparison:

The primary purpose of a car is transportation.
The primary purpose of a gun is to kill.

These are not the same thing.

Not sure if you're trying to excuse the prevalence of cars but: From a utilitarian standpoint, why does it matter that cars aren't built to kill if they do kill anyways?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49030 on: July 06, 2022, 07:45:29 pm »

Uh, the utilitarian standpoint is easier than most because cars have, y'know, other utility? That's... pretty straightforward.

Closest guns come to that is hunting (because from the utilitarian standpoint, they make folks less safe when they're around, so anything from the self-defense front just. Doesn't work. More likely to get you killed or maimed than save your ass, basic utilitarian response to that is "yeet the fucker"), but that doesn't do too well as an argument 'cause in general the food situation is much more tenable than the transportation one. Much easier to food without gun than travel without car, etc.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #49031 on: July 06, 2022, 07:48:36 pm »

From a utilitarian standpoint, we can excuse a certain quantity of deaths by car given that they enable magnitudes more people to continue living by earning a wage. The same cannot really be said of firearms, particularly when the ones that keep perpetuating mass shootings are not the ones that rural folks use to put dinner on the table.

Two thirds of Americans live paycheck to paycheck (well, fine, 64%), and I'd wager that most of them are enabled this subsistence because they have a car.

64% of Americans are not ensured the same subsistence by owning a firearm.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49032 on: July 06, 2022, 08:16:29 pm »

The way I see it, a machine which serves a purpose badly, inefficiently, and is much more easy to weaponize than any equivalent option isn't actually that different from a weapon. Because there are better options. Car culture and gun culture both kill, and both need to be fought.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49033 on: July 06, 2022, 08:46:15 pm »

Let's start with the more obvious one though, hrmmmm?

I still have lingering brain damage from talking with conservative acquaintances who try to claim the purpose of a gun is something other than to kill. Like "hunting" or "scaring intruders" or "mantle piece" fits neatly into "fires 1000 rpm." Their delusions around firearms is now second only to their delusions about religion, and babies. See: Jesus Guns Babies psychopath.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 08:48:08 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49034 on: July 06, 2022, 08:52:21 pm »

Does anyone else point out that, unless one is using a gun to hunt wild mushrooms or berries, even that use of a gun involves killing? Yes it's killing an animal, yes it's probably for food if you live in a rural, but the gun's primary purpose is still taking life.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3267 3268 [3269] 3270 3271 ... 3567