Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3250 3251 [3252] 3253 3254 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4238887 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #48765 on: June 24, 2022, 01:02:28 pm »

You jest but young angry single men with little to lose is very dangerous, very easy to radicalize.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48766 on: June 24, 2022, 01:02:49 pm »

So Biden is asking Congress to make Roe a federal law.

What're the Vegas odds?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #48767 on: June 24, 2022, 01:05:48 pm »

I'm pretty sure a test vote for a federal law codifying Roe flopped with 49 votes on partisan lines like a month ago
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #48768 on: June 24, 2022, 01:06:29 pm »

It actually might be kinda high, though a "unified" Democrat push to instate codification could be in danger from either Manchin or Sinema. Both of them are shady..

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48769 on: June 24, 2022, 01:07:57 pm »

I dunno about you guys, but I'm really starting to feel like blowing up some things these past few years... nitric acid and glycerol ain't hard to find are they.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48770 on: June 24, 2022, 01:13:08 pm »

What're the Vegas odds?

00 on the roulette wheel.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 01:44:27 pm by MrRoboto75 »
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #48771 on: June 24, 2022, 01:14:59 pm »

*waves to federal agent assigned this forum*
All talks of explosives are for purely recreational usage
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48772 on: June 24, 2022, 01:42:36 pm »

What're the Vegas odds?

Unless there are several Republicans up for election who fear they'll get tossed out if they don't support it, the odds are zero.  Maybe there are some like that but I doubt it.

I've read several conservative discussions on this topic today, and aside from just making me angrier, I find it interesting that so many of them find restricting rights like this to be a good thing and something that states should be able to decide on.  I'm not sure why anyone would think that it should be okay for something like this to be legal in California but illegal in Texas, for example.  How is something like this a local matter?

So far I haven't found any actively praising the fact that the other supreme court decisions protecting marriage and such are up next on the chopping block, but maybe you have to actually dig to find places that dark and grim, and I'm not particularly interested in it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48773 on: June 24, 2022, 01:52:17 pm »

... and something that states should be able to decide on.  I'm not sure why anyone would think that it should be okay for something like this to be legal in California but illegal in Texas, for example.  How is something like this a local matter?

I think the argument is - why is it OK for different countries to have different views on this, but not different states?  Do you believe that everyone everywhere should have the same rules and social norms? If not, where do you draw the lines? Why stop at the borders of the US?

This is one of the few reasonable* parts of US political discourse.  And in this issue in particular, there are new unique challenges that arise due to things like crossing state lines.

A huge part of US ethos is that you can indeed find a place where you can live your lifestyle even if they aren't liked in other areas, with the assumption that its reciprocal, that the folks in those other areas will let you live your lifestyle "over there" without messing with you.  It's only when people try to make One Rule that things get really messy.  Go figure.

EDIT: * that is - a reasonable thing to talk about. Not that the content of the discussion is actually reasonable.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 02:00:54 pm by McTraveller »
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48774 on: June 24, 2022, 02:01:35 pm »

I think the argument is - why is it OK for different countries to have different views on this, but not different states?  Do you believe that everyone everywhere should have the same rules and social norms? If not, where do you draw the lines? Why stop at the borders of the US?
Of course, if you take this argument the other direction - if one believes each country, each state should decide for themselves, why stop there? Why not each city, each block, and eventually each person. And when you get there you arrive at the essence of liberalism: each person >should< be able to decide for themselves, and the only just system is one that permits everyone to do so without any obstacles.
I.e. it's not that the pro-life and pro-choice sides are both equally pushing for their brand of authoritarianism. Only one of those is doing so.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48775 on: June 24, 2022, 02:08:12 pm »

At some point there's a practical 'surface of interaction' which is the core of politics.

Nobody really cares what you do inside your home until the waste products start pouring out and polluting the surrounding areas.

Pollution isn't just limited to chemicals here; I do believe that ideas can be polluting.  Like how every appliance in the world should be connected to the internet. QUIT IT.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48776 on: June 24, 2022, 02:10:39 pm »

Quote from: McTraveller

Well, for one thing I believe we need stronger unification on a global level, especially regarding civil rights, but that's a much bigger and different discussion.

The way I see it is that this is essentially a civil rights matter, and letting those be decided locally is dangerous.  I understand the appeal of "If you don't like it you can leave!", but that's way easier to say to someone than to be on the receiving end of when you're faced with the potential of not being able to do that or being further disadvantaged in your attempts to do so.

On the topic of abortion specifically, I guess in practice the states that oppose this have been doing a good job of making it almost impossible to access already, but imagine you're in Texas and want or need an abortion.  Let's say you want the abortion because you're in no economic position to support a baby, which implies you have little to no extra income.  Now, someone says, "If you want an abortion, just go to California!"  Okay, so now you need to take time off work and spend what, at least a day driving there, paying for gas, and do the same on the way back?  As opposed to finding one locally if it were legal in Texas?  If you can't afford it, it's effectively illegal for you.

And that's just assuming that Texas merely criminalized it being performed in the state.  What happens if they criminalize having it done at all, and someone rats you out when you come back and you risk going to jail?

"Just go move to California then!"

Okay, but the overwhelming majority of Americans have like $500 or less in their checking accounts, so how is that going to work out in practice?  Just moving to find likeminded people so you can live in peace works a lot better in theory than practice.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48777 on: June 24, 2022, 02:38:43 pm »

At some point there's a practical 'surface of interaction' which is the core of politics.

Nobody really cares what you do inside your home until the waste products start pouring out and polluting the surrounding areas.

Pollution isn't just limited to chemicals here; I do believe that ideas can be polluting.  Like how every appliance in the world should be connected to the internet. QUIT IT.

As I believe has been previously noted, this decision (not just Thomas's concurrence) does raise serious doubts about the continued concept of 'substantive due process', and the right to privacy. E.g. the Lawrence case Thomas targets as being literally about the right to have (gay) sex in your own home with another consenting adult.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #48778 on: June 24, 2022, 02:45:23 pm »

Cool, cool.

So at what point do we start worrying about America becoming a dystopia in which only heterosexual, white, cis-males have any rights?

Make America Great Again, right?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48779 on: June 24, 2022, 02:50:43 pm »

Nah, we'll probably be somewhere on the sliding scale of dystopias between that and, oh, nobody has any rights at all, because we're all owned by corporations?
Pages: 1 ... 3250 3251 [3252] 3253 3254 ... 3567