Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3215 3216 [3217] 3218 3219 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4244616 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #48240 on: May 04, 2022, 12:18:32 am »

Other Conservative Justices: "Yay, let's overturn Roe vs. Wade!"

Chief Justice Roberts:

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48241 on: May 04, 2022, 12:19:56 am »

Remember this old joke:
"What do you call an Attorney with a very low IQ?"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #48242 on: May 04, 2022, 01:17:58 am »

;)

I wonder how much effort would be needed to convince republicans that LGBT actually stands for Love God Ban Taxes, so they'll vote pro-LGBT.
Two or three Twitter posts might be enough.

Q stands for...Q.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #48243 on: May 04, 2022, 07:20:05 am »

I am very conflicted about abortion. I think it's okay if the fetus has severe genetic abnormalities, or was conceived by rape or incest. Otherwise it's iffy to me. I can see both sides, I understand why it would be banned or allowed AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO AGREE WITH ARGH.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 07:22:57 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48244 on: May 04, 2022, 07:57:10 am »

It's a woman's right to decide over her own body.
Forbidding a woman to have an abortion is not much different from rape or any #MeToo behaviour
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48245 on: May 04, 2022, 08:01:46 am »

It's a woman's right to decide over her own body.
Forbidding a woman to have an abortion is not much different from rape or any #MeToo behaviour
That's one take on it, but then there's "life begins at conception". That is where most pro-life rhetoric comes from. I don't really agree but at least I understand it.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48246 on: May 04, 2022, 08:03:09 am »

The best solutuon would be, as always, education, education on how to plan your sexual life and easy access to anticonceptive methods to avoid unwanted pregnancies (and STD while we are at it) so abortions aren't mostly needed in the first place.

I feel very much about like Max, not really confortable with unless is medically needed or the pregnancy is product of rape, but then again before the development is too ahead. Is a delicate issue and blank banning or banalizing it is not the answer.

What I heard of most people headstrong against it in all forms is that some people seem to banalize it and present it just as another anticonceptive method or try to push to high stages of pregnancy abortion (even up to the moment of birth wich is just plain murder).

The whole issue is a digrace for people on both spectrums and for the poor kids being murdered or brought up to families that do not want then.

And while gestation happens inside the woman's body, at a certain point we are sure there's abother body inside her. I'm honestly not the most impartial person here. And can't speak for anyone but myself, but holding my baby for the first time in my arms changed a lot of things for me.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 08:04:48 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48247 on: May 04, 2022, 08:25:30 am »

I'll point out that the less restrictions countries have on abortions the lower their abortion rate actually is. Granted this usually comes with lots of proper sex education and easy access to contraception, and there's an additional correlation between wealth and reduced abortion rates.

I personally consider abortion to be equivalent to taking someone who's in a permanent vegetative state off of life support, the individual is alive, but they aren't a person by any sensible definition. A brain dead comatose person is a 'was person', the fetus is a 'could be person', neither has the moral or ethical value of an 'is person'. Arguably the comatose person is more a person than the fetus is, despite being dead in the most important ways.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #48248 on: May 04, 2022, 08:59:48 am »

Egh, as always:

1) Late stage abortions make up a tiny fraction of all the ones that happen, and no, it's not just done on a whim, especially since carrying a child is an incredible strain on the body
2) The fetus has never had a goddamn thought in its existence
3) Arguing about 'when' it's okay takes away from the fact that it needs to be okay or people who have thoughts, families, histories, emotions, and the will to live, will die.
4) Abortions are traumatic as is and the stigma does not leave it a choice out of convenience
5) Parent and child can both end up miserable if the child cannot be afforded or it is unwanted, and this leads to trauma for everyone
6) To the above, 64% of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck, and forcing a child onto these Americans will only further strain them and entrench them in poverty
7) Abortions won't stop if they're made illegal, they'll just get more dangerous, see above three points
8 ) We've already got the largest percentage of the world's prison population, let's not add to that, especially after Texas took someone to court for a miscarriage
9) Abortion is sometimes a medical necessity and those telling you that you can't get one have no interest in making exceptions for any reason. See Texas and ectopic pregnancies.
10) The whole abortion thing only became a working issue a few decades back when the religious right made it a wedge issue, and bandying about when it's okay or should be allowed is just letting them win ground.

You wanna stop it, you make a world where it's no longer necessary. Stop penalizing people capable of childbirth.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48249 on: May 04, 2022, 09:45:01 am »

10) The whole abortion thing only became a working issue a few decades back when the religious right made it a wedge issue, and bandying about when it's okay or should be allowed is just letting them win ground.

On that, there was a good explanation of his discoveries/interpretation of the raising of the issue, by Jon Ronson, that I find convincing/plausible. Here's a broad summary article that mentions the apparent inception of this particular wedge-issue in just one of its paragraphs, but no doubt actually chasing up the podcast (by whatever method you find works for you) will give you access to the whole narrative on this. And various other issues that have somehow become felevent today, if you care to binge-listsn the whole set. ;)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48250 on: May 04, 2022, 10:28:27 am »

Yes I know None, that's why I am mostly pro-choice. I think late-stage abortions should be deadass illegal though, barring extreme circumstances such as the mother's life being threatened. It's basically a baby to me at that point.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #48251 on: May 04, 2022, 11:16:37 am »

Like... you're basically saying they should be deadass legal with that, though? The mother's life is always threatened by pregnancy. Medical science has done a lot to mitigate that, but it's an inherently dangerous thing that even with what has been managed over the years pretty regularly kills, cripples, or otherwise permanently damages the mother.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48252 on: May 04, 2022, 12:29:56 pm »

There are several countries* with late term abortions being perfectly legal, late term abortions more or less never happen there because by the point you've hit a late term pregnancy people have usually already decided to give birth barring medical complications that force the issue. Now this does once again go hand in hand with a robust healthcare system, so people can prevent unwanted pregnancies or notice them early on and make the decision then.

*Most notably Canada, which has an abortion be legal at any time for any reason. You could abort a baby a week before it's due date and it's legally fine, provided you can find a doctor who's ok with performing it.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48253 on: May 04, 2022, 10:50:24 pm »

Like... you're basically saying they should be deadass legal with that, though? The mother's life is always threatened by pregnancy. Medical science has done a lot to mitigate that, but it's an inherently dangerous thing that even with what has been managed over the years pretty regularly kills, cripples, or otherwise permanently damages the mother.
I thought it was obvious that I meant more threatened than usual. This strawman was uncalled for.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48254 on: May 04, 2022, 11:59:08 pm »

Even though we socially accept the normal level of danger for mothers, it's still good to remember it.  Some people's pregnancies are more or less dangerous, like most things in life.

I shared a strange thought today with my mom who's a total LGBTQ ally (well almost.  Better than usual).  Back when Disney responded to Florida's don't-say-gay bill, I made a point of rolling my eyes at the rainbow capitalism.  Even when Florida shot itself in the face to spite Disney, I was reluctant to be appreciative.

Yet when I hear about companies like Uber and, eungh, Amazon offering aid to people going out-of-state for abortion...  I guess I fold.  She wanted to be happy for me that Disney was "supporting" me, and likewise she was delighted to hear (FROM ME!) that these companies are supporting her. 

I guess it's the same sort of thinking that keeps me voting Democrat in hopes that maybe PoC will get a little more justice in this intolerable state of affair.

It's disgusting because it's holding people hostage against a completely immoral threat:  The Republican party, which has absolutely no virtue other than accumulating wealth and swayable votes (the evangelicals and racists).  And yet how can I balance my progressive ideals against a promise of harm reduction by establishment Democrats?

Anyway, vote in the ongoing primaries, please.

It's also worth noting that the Republican Establishment desperately doesn't want to discuss abortion.  That's why their angle is entirely about hunting down the leaker and "bringing them to justice".  Sure there are a few evangelical Republican congresscysts who haven't read a Bible in their life, but Lich McConnell and the serious Republicans hate that this issue is raised.  They'd much rather still be talking about the handful of trans female athletes. 

They are literally trying to hide their agenda.  They won't even let it be discussed in the senate, thanks to the bullshit "filibuster" rules.  (Fuck Joe Manchin again, by the way).

They don't *even* want people having conversations about this.  They want to just force it through as quietly as possible, using a "Supreme Court" stacked by the most anti-American, actively treasonous, ironically womanizing president we've ever had.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 12:01:39 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 3215 3216 [3217] 3218 3219 ... 3569