Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3210 3211 [3212] 3213 3214 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4245162 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #48165 on: April 19, 2022, 10:07:33 pm »

Biden's announed a 6 billion dollar initiative to revamp existing nuclear plants.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48166 on: April 20, 2022, 12:55:16 am »

And currently Russia provides much of the nuclear fuel for the USA and France. (Kazakhstan mines most of the rad ores, they are shipped to Russia, and Russia produces most of the nuclear fuel used for the newer nuclear plants).
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #48167 on: April 20, 2022, 05:24:00 am »

That article claims 20% of US nuclear fuel is dependent in some way on Russia. Even if that's wholly accueate, that's not a supply crisis. As the article also points out, the US has ample uranium reserves that are currently untapped. US reactor designs use very low-enriched fuel due to 1970s proliferation concerns, which drastically reduces the difficukty of switching suppliers.

What it does not mention is the large US military nuclear capacity. US naval reactors use heavily enrivhed uranium, and has reactors specifically designed to create weapons-grade material for the nation's nuclear arsenal. For obvious reasons, those capacities do not depend on Russia. 
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48168 on: April 20, 2022, 11:31:19 am »

Yeah, the US military probably receives most of its uranium needs from Canada, this April 2022 article breaks down the imports of enriched and natural uraniums, showing that Canada provides 92.5% of natural uranium imports to the US.

When the recent Russia/Ukraine invasion started, NPR quoted an EU number of "40% energy imported from Russia" but about 3 weeks later NPR said 45% (possibly not from EU reporting but from an energy watchdog or such). The assumption I took from hearing these two numbers was that the EU was doing a self-review and found more was imported from Russia than previously reported. I still believe the entire EU energy and global-warming plan was "switch from coal to natural gas" because that is the best they could manage due to political divisions within the EU and within the member states, due to profit-seeking by members tied to the fossil-fuel industries.

Consider the revelations that changed how clothing industries were obtaining their garments from kiddie factories. Is this what is happening within Russia, except with the energy/fuel production? How many regions in Russia encapsulate work camps where people are not free to leave? Is the cheap Russian energy being partially provided through work camp labor? Are the deported Ukrainian refugees being sent to work camps? Are pro-Putin EU politicians benefiting from importing cheap Russian energy while avoiding the EU laws/regulations that protect EU people from being enslaved? Are there US politicians guilty of similar activities?

If USA laws protect our citizens from slavery but we accept cheap imports from nations that do not protect their citizens from slavery, our citizens will become slaves because those who endorse enslavement in other countries will gain in wealth and political power in our country.

That is the bottom to the top concept that keeps running through my mind. It is not about Russia being in control of the energy market, it is about who gains influence and power within the more democratic nations by using imports from un-democratic countries.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48169 on: April 20, 2022, 01:06:02 pm »

If USA laws protect our citizens from slavery but we accept cheap imports from nations that do not protect their citizens from slavery, our citizens will become slaves because those who endorse enslavement in other countries will gain in wealth and political power in our country.

They have shown a lot of resistance to protecting citizens from slavery, though. Especially now that a politician who made their career/wealth on prison slave labor is in the White House. Slavery has never been illegal in the US, and is unlikely ever to be. That's why we've been building labor camps.

"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #48170 on: April 20, 2022, 02:09:25 pm »

That is the bottom to the top concept that keeps running through my mind. It is not about Russia being in control of the energy market, it is about who gains influence and power within the more democratic nations by using imports from un-democratic countries.
I'm reminded of those hilarious fuck Trump moments from people like LeBron James, who can freely admonish the US president but becomes stricken with fear when the topic of Xi Jinping was brought up. When American presidents stand on lesser ground than Saudi princes and communist autocrats in the USA, it hilariously exposes how the system has been designed to function as intended

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48171 on: April 20, 2022, 07:31:27 pm »

They have shown a lot of resistance to protecting citizens from slavery, though. Especially now that a politician who made their career/wealth on prison slave labor is in the White House. Slavery has never been illegal in the US, and is unlikely ever to be. That's why we've been building labor camps.

"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Only part of the Bill of Rights that hasn't been subverted at some point was the one against boarding soldiers.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #48172 on: April 21, 2022, 05:24:28 am »

Only part of the Bill of Rights that hasn't been subverted at some point was the one against boarding soldiers.
Water boarding soldiers is ok tho

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48173 on: April 21, 2022, 06:14:49 am »

Water boarding soldiers is ok tho
It builds the character.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48174 on: April 22, 2022, 10:40:03 pm »

Disney's special status in Florida has been revoked by the govenrnor, because they protested against the 'don't say gay' regulations.

In b4 Disney's Snowwhite and the 7 gay dwarves protest anime.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48175 on: April 22, 2022, 10:44:48 pm »

Can you imagine being so homophobic that you're willing to fight Disney?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48176 on: April 22, 2022, 10:46:34 pm »

Uh not really. Which makes it all the more terrible
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #48177 on: April 22, 2022, 11:31:33 pm »

Disney's special status in Florida has been revoked by the govenrnor, because they protested against the 'don't say gay' regulations.

In b4 Disney's Snowwhite and the 7 gay dwarves protest anime.
Hell, they didn't even protest so much as cut political donations across the board instead of getting involved when folks noticed they were lining the pockets of some of the scumshit bigots supporting the bill in question.

Retribution for cutting back on the bribes was good enough for the GOP.

... though disney kinda' sucks, so there's definite "let them fight" vibes. If there's a problem (well, other than it being deshitis and co doing it, which is generally problem enough in practice), it's that the repercussions of this is more likely to directly damage folks in the area surrounding disney than disney itself, so.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 11:34:44 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48178 on: April 22, 2022, 11:40:11 pm »

Does anyone have a simple summary of what the actual consequences are for Disney and Florida as a whole if this goes through?  I read that there are existing laws that may make it easy for Disney to fight this, and saw something about Florida tax payers being on the hook for $1 billion as a result, but I'm not really sure I follow how or why.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #48179 on: April 23, 2022, 04:22:32 am »

Can you imagine being so homophobic that you're willing to fight Disney?

I can't imagine not wanting to fight Disney, homophobia or no
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 3210 3211 [3212] 3213 3214 ... 3569