Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3207 3208 [3209] 3210 3211 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4245339 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #48120 on: April 06, 2022, 08:36:46 pm »

Can we get back to the thread’s topic instead of torture, please?
Read the title, is Ameripol. Isn't torture one of the main foregin policies of America? I say we are spot on topic  :P
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #48121 on: April 07, 2022, 03:09:28 am »

« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 09:49:42 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48122 on: April 07, 2022, 07:59:29 am »

Sure there is!
News Report for March:
Once again, everyone gathers to Celebrate March Madness, where the best of Male College Basketball Teams compete against one another.
In other news, rumors exist that Women might play basketball in college too. These rumors are unconfirmed, as nobody cares...

I struggle with people caring about college sports in any capacity.

I imagine college football is much more affordable to attend in person.  I know we could go to the minor league baseball games for like 15 bucks a box seat.

But yeah, I genuinely believe half the people who outcry about trans in womens sports have never even watched a single game of any womens sport.  Not even something vaguely mixed gender like the olympics.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48123 on: April 07, 2022, 11:55:27 am »

Er, depends on your definition of "reasonable".
Bad seats are like $35 for students for regular Men's Basketball Tickets.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48124 on: April 07, 2022, 12:34:15 pm »

The whole problem with pricing in sports can be defined on two vectors:
- one group wants to make as much profit as possible.
- one group wants to "extract" as much entertainment from the event as possible
   - fans that consider the event is an excuse for them to treat other people poorly
   - fans that want to destroy stuff and leave a mess and be "catered to"
The presentation of the games should be the primary objective, all the other stuff is stalling.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 12:36:35 pm by anewaname »
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48125 on: April 07, 2022, 01:02:34 pm »

And then both groups pretend that it's the "spirit of competition" that's important, that anybody regardless of finances or genetic lottery has a reasonable chance of succeeding if they try hard enough.  As if you don't need a measure of financial security to even be in the running (so to speak).  Sometimes that security comes from taking a deal from a talent scout, whose job is maximizing the owner's profit from the deal...

Sport is incredibly important for encouraging teamwork and athleticism, but the sports industry is truly horrifying.  So much money and intense human suffering, people pushing themselves to the absolute limit and often destroying their bodies and minds, and what do we get?  Maybe some kids get inspired into volunteering for the meat grinder, but adults just cheer "their" teams and move on.

Sorry.  I may have been harshly disillusioned as a young competitive cyclist cheering for Lance Armstrong.  Maybe there's actual value being generated here, but I'm blind to it.  Kinda seems like everyone accepts that professional athletes are commonly pushed into performance enhancing, life destroying drugs...  Plus all the parasocial celebrity worship which also ruins lives.  This would literally be cooler and far less harmful if we gave team managers robots to play with, instead of trying to twist human beings into "the best".  OH and the OLYMPICS, once you introduce STATE POLITICS- [mic cut]
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48126 on: April 07, 2022, 02:07:59 pm »

Feels like I'd rather be able to tune into some randos having fun than a room full of highly focused sportsting masters anyways.

Though, maybe if we had actual programmable sports robots it'd be entertaining to watch a league of like, TAS sports.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48127 on: April 07, 2022, 03:13:33 pm »

Feels like I'd rather be able to tune into some randos having fun than a room full of highly focused sportsting masters anyways.

Though, maybe if we had actual programmable sports robots it'd be entertaining to watch a league of like, TAS sports.

That is actually why College Basketball is more entertaining than Professional Basketball.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48128 on: April 08, 2022, 09:27:11 am »

Sure there is!
News Report for March:
Once again, everyone gathers to Celebrate March Madness, where the best of Male College Basketball Teams compete against one another.
In other news, rumors exist that Women might play basketball in college too. These rumors are unconfirmed, as nobody cares...
Oh, people care about women's basketball! Because what if a trans woman competes and ruins everything?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48129 on: April 08, 2022, 06:35:59 pm »

my cousin watches women's basketball religiously. just so you know there are people who actually follow it and not men's basketball.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48130 on: April 10, 2022, 01:48:07 am »

In Texas, a 26 year old woman has been arrested and charged with murder for 'causing the death of a person through inducing abortion'.
It is unclear if she is being charged for having an abortion or for assisting with an abortion.
She is being held in Rio Grande prison.

We should really inpose sanction on the US for this nazi behaviour. Let's start with throwing them out of Swift.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48131 on: April 10, 2022, 02:14:50 am »

The United States can't imprison the State of Texas.

When you find out more details, could you link to the article?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48132 on: April 10, 2022, 02:44:44 am »

The United States can't imprison the State of Texas.

When you find out more details, could you link to the article?

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/vrouw-in-texas-na-abortus-aangeklaagd-voor-moord~bc3c8f21/

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/09/us/self-induced-abortion-murder-charge.html

According to the NYTimes article, it was a self-induced abortion

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48133 on: April 10, 2022, 02:51:48 pm »

The charges are being dropped according to this audio from the Washington Post and it said "The district attorney’s office overseeing the case said this was ‘not a criminal matter’."
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48134 on: April 10, 2022, 03:26:39 pm »

That is good news, but the humiliation and trauma done to the woman by making her live through being arrested and thrown in prison are still abominable.

Pages: 1 ... 3207 3208 [3209] 3210 3211 ... 3569