Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3204 3205 [3206] 3207 3208 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4245650 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #48075 on: April 05, 2022, 09:20:06 am »

If only there were laws against union busting…oh wait, they’re just ignored by the enforcers

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48076 on: April 05, 2022, 12:05:57 pm »

I was wondering about the "TOT"....

Ah, you see, TOT stands for "Time off Tasks" which is the policy that requires employees to clock out when they walk 15m to the bathroom. The one that causes people to pee in plastic bottles.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48077 on: April 05, 2022, 12:27:32 pm »

Ah, you see, TOT stands for "Time off Tasks" which is the policy that requires employees to clock out when they walk 15m to the bathroom. The one that causes people to pee in plastic bottles.
...or use the aforementioned trans-obturator vaginal tape? ;)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48078 on: April 05, 2022, 05:51:17 pm »

Isn't Tiny Ones Transport Service?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #48079 on: April 05, 2022, 06:46:18 pm »

If only there were laws against union busting…oh wait, they’re just ignored by the enforcers

They're not ignored. If you can provide evidence that you were fired for union activity it voids any "at will" employment clause and gives you grounds for a wrongful termination suit. The NLRB can also throw out any union election where they judge union-busting (or, for that matter, illegal tactics by the union) has occurred and force a new one. That happened in the recent Amazon efforts.

The issue is that this is the extent of the enforcement powers. Unlike other labor laws, there's no ability to issue fines. Labor-friendly lawmakers have been trying to add an enforcement mechanism for years and been stymied by lobbyists.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48080 on: April 05, 2022, 09:41:10 pm »

Dang, y'all got the Ukraine invasion thread locked it seems. Not sure if we should create a second one and insist people maybe try to be civil in it or... :/

On the other hand, I already handled the first thread and we reached the point where the war itself seems to be settling into a routine where the only new developments are yet more atrocities, so not sure what else there'd be to add nor who (if anyone) should revive it this time.

I would like to say that in my comments in that thread which I made in the midst of extreme anger, I made clear my distaste for what Russian society is and has been in strong words, and I called for the torture of the particular soldiers who carried out the raping, looting, torturing, and murdering, but I refrained from calling for any unilateral action or judgment against all Russians. I regret my harsher comments. I should've spoken out against the very concerning rhetoric which was developing in that thread but I was trying to not interact with that thread or any other news about Ukraine at the time for the sake of my blood pressure and a functioning mental state. I think it's important for all of us to remember that principles and moral beliefs are not for easy times where they are convenient to follow, but for hard times when things get complex.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 09:42:46 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #48081 on: April 05, 2022, 10:22:06 pm »

Dang, y'all got the Ukraine invasion thread locked it seems. Not sure if we should create a second one and insist people maybe try to be civil in it or... :/

On the other hand, I already handled the first thread and we reached the point where the war itself seems to be settling into a routine where the only new developments are yet more atrocities, so not sure what else there'd be to add nor who (if anyone) should revive it this time.

I would like to say that in my comments in that thread which I made in the midst of extreme anger, I made clear my distaste for what Russian society is and has been in strong words, and I called for the torture of the particular soldiers who carried out the raping, looting, torturing, and murdering, but I refrained from calling for any unilateral action or judgment against all Russians. I regret my harsher comments. I should've spoken out against the very concerning rhetoric which was developing in that thread but I was trying to not interact with that thread or any other news about Ukraine at the time for the sake of my blood pressure and a functioning mental state. I think it's important for all of us to remember that principles and moral beliefs are not for easy times where they are convenient to follow, but for hard times when things get complex.
I forgive you, I lashed out too.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48082 on: April 05, 2022, 10:33:07 pm »

yeah, like I said, I posted in a moment of anger and it was wrong. I should be better than that, not become like what I was angry about...or I become no different than them. In the future, will definitely come in with a cooler head. Really just needed to step outside all the news and my computer and take a breather outside. Really do apologize.

As for other things more on topic (sorta still global stuff but less to do with ukraine) and to move past to a new day. It seems there is a russia/china/saudi and probably looking to be india "alliance" going on. Russia/china is obvious, but saudi has reportedly (according to twitter) increased their oil trade to/with china. India has refused to condemn russia at all AND has increased relations/trade with them (and china which is weird to me because I thought india and china hated each other, and russia/china are for all intents and purposes in at very least a semi-alliance). Of course this all comes from multiple reports on twitter, so...take it all with a grain of salt as a fair warning. But I do know from more legit news (cnn, AU news, BBC) that india has been appearing "neutral". But according to reports, not so much.

Also hungary (BBC again...this time a link https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60977917)

elected a pro-putin president.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48083 on: April 06, 2022, 03:28:56 am »

yeah, like I said, I posted in a moment of anger and it was wrong. I should be better than that, not become like what I was angry about...or I become no different than them. In the future, will definitely come in with a cooler head. Really just needed to step outside all the news and my computer and take a breather outside. Really do apologize.

As for other things more on topic [...]
Also hungary (BBC again...this time a link https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60977917)

elected a pro-putin president.
Well, the US did that, a few years ago, so definitely on topic. :P

(What with actual-Russia and belo-Russia, I must admit that Hungary tended to not be an obvious focus for many in the last month or two, despite Orban being notably part of the latest awkward move into illiberalism. But Hungary is one of those territories (ever changing!) that tends to invite so much political change. Pro-Kremlin(esque?) recently, joined EU beforehand, was Soviet, was Axis, was idon'tknowwhat, was Austro-Hungarian (natch!), was Hapsburg, was Ottoman, was... dumdedumdedum ..., was Roman, was... Whatever. It seems to be one of those places. I feel sorry for the Ukrainean refugees who might be feeling stressed out at this being their choice of 'safety', if this adds to their concern at all.)

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48084 on: April 06, 2022, 07:03:16 am »

Hot take incoming: torture is never justifiable.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #48085 on: April 06, 2022, 07:19:21 am »

If I was a rebel leader in a hypothetical scenario where Putin is overthrown, I'd torture him. I don't want to describe how exactly, in case it breaks forum rules. I just hate him so much.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48086 on: April 06, 2022, 07:56:08 am »

Hypothetical: A psychopath has captured 10 children, and locked them up in a room with no water or food.
He is captured, and refuses to give up their location.

What are you going to do?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48087 on: April 06, 2022, 08:01:42 am »

Torture as a tactic of interrogation is just going to lead to the person saying whatever will make the torture stop, whether it's true or a complete lie. And this is known from actual real situations, not hypothetical baby snatchers. Haven't we learned this already after two decades of the "war of on terror"?
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48088 on: April 06, 2022, 08:03:14 am »

Torture is not reliable, but could yield result. The other option in my hypothetical, not torturing, is certain to kill 10 children.

(There are truth drugs, but I consider those just one of the tools of torture)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #48089 on: April 06, 2022, 08:05:41 am »

Torture is not reliable, but could yield result. The other option in my hypothetical, not torturing, is certain to kill 10 children.

(There are truth drugs, but I consider those just one of the tools of torture)

Yeah, this assumes that torture is the only method of information extraction (even though we know it isn't reliable). Would you be willing to give this guy 100,000 dollars to disclose that information, instead, for example.
Pages: 1 ... 3204 3205 [3206] 3207 3208 ... 3569