Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3188 3189 [3190] 3191 3192 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4254392 times)

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #47835 on: March 05, 2022, 12:03:00 am »

I just realized.

Russian game developers can still take money out if they are a developer on STEAM (at least if they sell trading cards and steam cash shop stuff, they get a small percentage of that income)

Steam has thus far refused to take a stance on this, meaning russians can use steam to launder money (which has been and can be done actually), which can then go to their invasion of ukraine.

I am hesitant to uninstall steam, but its making me want to. All my games are on steam sadly :|
I'm sorry, what? Are you seriously suggesting the Russian government is going to consider laundering Steam cards to fund its war? That's absurd.

Wouldn't be too surprising

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/0/3183486955457307229/

While its just one thread, I did look and some of the market prices spike suspiciously high. And 400-600 USD is no joke.

Inside that thread are two links someone put up, I'll need to look at them better in the morning than a glance through, but half way awake and tired as heck. But looks like...ruples are involved at least, which shows russia or people inside russia is involved

https://www.pcgamer.com/personal-investigation-of-suspicious-tf2-earbud-trading-uncovers-potentially-nefarious-scheme/

https://www.polygon.com/2012/11/15/3648530/team-fortress-2-player-discovers-apparent-russian-trading-scheme-at

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47836 on: March 05, 2022, 12:08:37 am »

I just realized.

Russian game developers can still take money out if they are a developer on STEAM (at least if they sell trading cards and steam cash shop stuff, they get a small percentage of that income)

Steam has thus far refused to take a stance on this, meaning russians can use steam to launder money (which has been and can be done actually), which can then go to their invasion of ukraine.

I am hesitant to uninstall steam, but its making me want to. All my games are on steam sadly :|
I'm sorry, what? Are you seriously suggesting the Russian government is going to consider laundering Steam cards to fund its war? That's absurd.

While its just one thread, I did look and some of the market prices spike suspiciously high. And 400-600 USD is no joke.

Inside that thread are two links, I'll need to look at them better but half way awake and tired as heck. But looks like...ruples are involved at least, which is russian currency

https://www.pcgamer.com/personal-investigation-of-suspicious-tf2-earbud-trading-uncovers-potentially-nefarious-scheme/

https://www.polygon.com/2012/11/15/3648530/team-fortress-2-player-discovers-apparent-russian-trading-scheme-at
These are Russian criminals laundering comparatively small amounts of money. Not the hundreds of millions to billions necessary to field a modern war. Russia still has access to Chinese and Indian markets and debt, which would make far more sense to go for, rather than a service that could be cut off at any time if actual laundering takes place.

This reminds me of the time people said Saddam was buying thousands of Playstation 2s to get past sanctions so he could stage 9/11 part 2. I am very disappointed that people could fall for fearmongering like this on Bay12.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47837 on: March 05, 2022, 12:12:55 am »

I just realized.

Inside that thread are two links, I'll need to look at them better but half way awake and tired as heck. But looks like...ruples are involved at least, which is russian currency

These are Russian criminals laundering comparatively small amounts of money. Not the hundreds of millions to billions necessary to field a modern war. Russia still has access to Chinese and Indian markets and debt, which would make far more sense to go for, rather than a service that could be cut off at any time if actual laundering takes place.

This reminds me of the time people said Saddam was buying thousands of Playstation 2s to get past sanctions so he could stage 9/11 part 2. I am very disappointed that people could fall for fearmongering like this on Bay12.

ah, and disappointngly in my half asleep state...this is also really old news and its being brought up on the steam forums like its new :| one of those articles is way back in 2012...

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #47838 on: March 05, 2022, 10:10:06 am »

I just realized.

truth stranger than fiction!
(I hope it’s true, in a roundabout way, because it would be hilarious)
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47839 on: March 05, 2022, 10:24:28 am »

They have a right to speak but I reserve the right to decry any company that supports such speech.
Indeed. The right to freedom of speech cannot go without the right to put your fingers in your ears and say lalala I can't hear you.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47840 on: March 05, 2022, 10:49:37 am »

That steam stuff is old news, from way back in 2012/2013. Sadly I should have looked more carefully and maybe not so willingly shared it when I was half asleep :( Sorry :( Looks like people are spreading that info around like its new, but it isn't at all.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #47841 on: March 05, 2022, 10:52:05 am »

They have a right to speak but I reserve the right to decry any company that supports such speech.
Indeed. The right to freedom of speech cannot go without the right to put your fingers in your ears and say lalala I can't hear you.

Imagine the internet existed 150 years ago.  The United States is divided on the Slavery issue.
Both Abolitionists and Slave Holders have opinions on the matter.  The Civil War hasn't yet resolved this matter in favor of the Abolitionists.
In order to ensure the Abolitionists are allowed to advocate for an end to slavery, the Law must also protect the right of the other side to say their wickedness.
Freedom of Speech comes down to the basic understanding that what is right may not be popular, so you can't restrict speech based upon whether its agreeable.

That steam stuff is old news, from way back in 2012/2013. Sadly I should have looked more carefully and maybe not so willingly shared it when I was half asleep :( Sorry :( Looks like people are spreading that info around like its new, but it isn't at all.
I respect both your right to spread misinformation and your maturity to correct your honest mistake.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #47842 on: March 05, 2022, 10:56:26 am »

Freedom of speech means the government can’t act against you because of what you say, it doesn’t mean other people aren’t allowed to suggest you stop being a prick.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #47843 on: March 05, 2022, 10:59:46 am »

Freedom of speech means the government can’t act against you because of what you say, it doesn’t mean other people aren’t allowed to suggest you stop being a prick.
People on a forum aren't the government. Nor are the forum admins for that matter. That's why people were banned for e.g encouraging genocide, like that Cheesie Honkers guy who I reported.

Nobody here has any rights, really.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47844 on: March 05, 2022, 11:00:46 am »

People on a forum aren't the government. Nor are the forum admins. That's why people were banned for e.g encouraging genocide, like that Cheesie Honkers guy who I reported.
I am aware of this, and that was my point. I appreciate you putting it in a different way.

EJ does not seem to understand this.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47845 on: March 05, 2022, 11:07:39 am »

People on a forum aren't the government. Nor are the forum admins. That's why people were banned for e.g encouraging genocide, like that Cheesie Honkers guy who I reported.
I am aware of this, and that was my point. I appreciate you putting it in a different way.

Yeah, I was agreeing with you.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47846 on: March 05, 2022, 11:18:50 am »

It’s morning where I am, I don’t do well in the morning. I can be slow at the best of times heh.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47847 on: March 05, 2022, 11:19:55 am »

It’s morning where I am, I don’t do well in the morning. I can be slow at the best of times heh.
It's 11 PM over here but yeah... I understand.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47848 on: March 05, 2022, 11:24:08 am »

These days it's pretty much a given that "not understanding what the first amendment actually does" and "decrying being censored for acting like a jackass" go hand in hand. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47849 on: March 05, 2022, 04:06:51 pm »

I plead the third, your honor! I have few principles, but I stick to them.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 04:08:41 pm by Starver »
Pages: 1 ... 3188 3189 [3190] 3191 3192 ... 3569