Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3186 3187 [3188] 3189 3190 ... 3570

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4255060 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #47805 on: March 03, 2022, 07:57:09 pm »

...uh somebody left a computer on in THE OUBLIETTE.  :P

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #47806 on: March 03, 2022, 08:13:57 pm »

Isn’t that we’re the liberals sell their ill-gotten GAINS FREED FROM CONSERVATIVE CLUTCHES?

We need a slogan!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47807 on: March 03, 2022, 08:20:05 pm »

We need a slogan!
Uh, better a lib in the oubliette than two Bushes in the white house? I don't know. What are we trying to convey here again?

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #47808 on: March 03, 2022, 09:15:17 pm »

We need a slogan!
Uh, better a lib in the oubliette than two Bushes in the white house? I don't know. What are we trying to convey here again?
better an Azerbaijan in the Hagia Sophia than a Bastille in the Kremlin!
(that’s what I always say, at any rate)
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #47809 on: March 04, 2022, 03:55:13 am »

So, what do people think of Biden's new policy of not letting Oligarchs or their families into the US?

While I understand the intent is to make sure the sanctions stick by keeping Oligarchs from sending their cousins into the US to claim their assets, it binds the Oligarchs and their families to Putin by denying them a place to flee Putin's tyranny.
They should, at a minimum, have an exception for defectors.

Biden's failing as a Democrat.  Everyone knows Democrats as supposed to LET people into the country, THEN take their stuff.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47810 on: March 04, 2022, 04:18:31 am »

I think they should not ban them from entering the country. They should let them in, arrest them and put them in internment camps until Putin is gone.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47811 on: March 04, 2022, 04:38:24 am »

I think they should not ban them from entering the country. They should let them in, arrest them and put them in internment camps until Putin is gone.
But that's what nazis do and then Russia would hav to invade us.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47812 on: March 04, 2022, 04:46:35 am »

I'd rather the oligarchs be in Russia, posing a threat to Putin as their wealth dries up.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47813 on: March 04, 2022, 04:51:56 am »

But that's what nazis do and then Russia would have to invade us.
Uh, no that's what countries do with refugees from a hostile nation during wartime (to prevent your country flooding with saboteurs and spies), and what neutral countries do as well to stay neutral.
During WW1, we put about 200000 Belgian refugees in internment camps in the south of the Netherlands to retain our neutrality in the war. Letting them walk free would have been considered aiding a side. The Belgians in the camps were treated well and very grateful.
Internment camp =/= destruction camp, it's just a higher security type of refugee camp (and one that does not let you out until the war is over).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 05:05:42 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47814 on: March 04, 2022, 05:21:29 am »

Not even from a viewpoint of maintaining neutrality. We sent Germans (and suspected Germans, and even Germans suspected of being anti-German by the Germans) to the Isle Of Man.

Not the worst place to be, under the circumstances. Probably harsh on those who would happily renounce their origin and integrate (or who already had), perhaps as Jewish exiles/early-established-migrants who had laid down roots in communities. Probably better than the true unrepentent 'Nazis abroad' deserved. And awkward when the two types found themselves stuck in neighbouring tents during a perpetual and indefinite stay at a holiday-camp while the relative merits/demerits of their cases were gone over by officials.

As with a lot of wartime measures, expediency probably trumped strict fairness and justice, and then efforts to rectify any resulting unfairness and injustice probably got bogged down in red-tape and excessive caution in far too many cases. Though the obvious comparison to what was being done to the same sort of people who found themselves in the opposing side's "internment" system is both obvious and very, very different.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47815 on: March 04, 2022, 06:49:42 am »

Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47816 on: March 04, 2022, 08:07:41 am »

Better idea: we should normalize calling American billionaires oligarchs too.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47817 on: March 04, 2022, 08:10:52 am »

Not the worst place to be, under the circumstances. Probably harsh on those who would happily renounce their origin and integrate (or who already had), perhaps as Jewish exiles/early-established-migrants who had laid down roots in communities.
Sad fact. When WW2 had ended, and the surviving jews returned to the Netherlands from the concentration camps, those with German names were put in penal camps together with nazi Germans and nazi collaborators. Many of them were disowned of remaining property.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #47818 on: March 04, 2022, 09:00:58 am »

The US is not the only country in the world to escape Putin from.

Anyway, Putin sends assassins after people that betray him regardless of where they are in the world, denying oligarchs access to a handful of countries out of hundreds won’t change that.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #47819 on: March 04, 2022, 10:36:22 am »

I'm just going to repeat my argument that this war wouldn't be happening if Trump won the election.
Essentially, my belief is that if Trump were elected, Putin would have waited until after Trump's second term in office.

So no, I will not go down the "What if Putin launched this invasion while Trump was in office?" hypothetical, since I don't buy that as a legitimate possibility.

Argue/Disagree all you want.  For me, this is a BELIEF, and BELIEFS ARE HARD TO CHANGE.
There is zero benefitto me to concede on this issue in any way.
I should really be cross-posting this here

Then why are you labouring the point? You’ve made your position clear, you’re not going to change your mind, you’re making no effort to engage with anyone, so there’s no need to continue posting the same thing over and over.
Why are you trying to stifle my freedom of speech?
Nor should it.

So, what do people think of Biden's new policy of not letting Oligarchs or their families into the US?
The world's smallest violin is playing a tearful symphony.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 10:41:36 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?
Pages: 1 ... 3186 3187 [3188] 3189 3190 ... 3570