Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3179 3180 [3181] 3182 3183 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4189940 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #47700 on: February 22, 2022, 09:25:34 am »

I'm sorry kittytac you might have to get used to it... If I teleported in pyjama to the balkans, sorted out that I'm lost and freezing,  and once I'm offered the inevitable glass of raki and inquire about ukraine, the guy tending me the glass won't have as heated opinions as what one gets to read these days.
I expected better from Bay12 and especially mart who is generally reasonable. But whatever. It was a misunderstanding.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47701 on: February 22, 2022, 09:38:58 am »

It is only when you start linking biological research into genetics and brains to race that it becomes the racist canard you mentioned.
Like, it starts well before that, because intelligence as a concept has had major problems regarding bias in relation to race for pretty much its entire existence as a formal area of study (and well before, for that matter). It's a damn messy subject at this point on a bunch of levels. Things are marginally better nowadays, in some ways, but it's still a rough subject to try to navigate.
I am quite aware of the bias of IQ tests and do not regard them as a useful tool in research into intelligence. Which is why you do not see me advocating or even mentioning 'IQ'.
Last I paid attention the good faith researchers in applicable fields are currently in the process of basically tearing the whole damn thing down so they can rebuild it as something actually worth a shit.
Exactly my point when I say I don't have a problem with science doing research into biological basis of intelligence.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 09:40:45 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47702 on: February 22, 2022, 11:52:48 am »

What I meant that stating Russians migth have lower intelligence is as blank as saying most boomers are out of their minds.

We are losing focus here.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #47703 on: February 22, 2022, 12:19:59 pm »

To me, as someone who doesn't travel in Europe, the Russian people and their opinions seem like a black box. Owing in part to the fact that people with opinions that government finds unpopular tend to end up dead. I don't blame people for coming away with the impression that Russians support what their government does. But I wouldn't ascribe anything to it more than I would any other country.

I mean, look at the US. You could argue half of the country has a crippling mental deficit based on the last few years, and come up for all sorts of reasons for it, from a bad diet to pollution. But there's no point to doing so, because "people" aren't "the government."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47704 on: February 22, 2022, 01:46:50 pm »

Directly following a video of the Russian parliament approving the use of military force abroad, Putin demanded that Ukraine recognizes Russia's claim on the Crimea, and demanded that Ukraine relinquishes it's advanced weapons, in what sounded like an ultimatum.

To me, as someone who doesn't travel in Europe, the Russian people and their opinions seem like a black box. Owing in part to the fact that people with opinions that government finds unpopular tend to end up dead.

This is very rare. Putin only uses nuclear weapons and biochemical weapons on individuals that he really thinks can harm him, like Letvinenko (Putin used 7,6 million euros worth of nuclear weapons on him) and Navalny (who survived the pretty darn cheap novitsjok biochemical weapon).
Most people who disagree with him are still alive, they're just uncomfortable, cold, and locked up in Siberia while being raped in secret hospitals.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 01:50:42 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47705 on: February 22, 2022, 02:41:37 pm »

Thats more or less the stardard among his friends too. Here we don't have a Siberia but we do have a complex called "The Tomb" that belongs to military inteligence were most people dont come back ever. And well, basically anyone can get killed here and no one could do anything about it.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47706 on: February 22, 2022, 04:33:05 pm »

Biden is sending troops and aircraft to the Baltic states and to Poland.

EDIT: Putin has now said that his recognition of Donetsk and Luhansk is including the territory that they claim but which is still controlled by Ukraine. An invasion and war seem unavoidable now.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 06:02:18 pm by martinuzz »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47707 on: February 23, 2022, 03:38:11 am »

Well, at least it's crystal clear now that Trump is a Russian agent.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47708 on: February 23, 2022, 06:03:28 am »

How so? What did our artificially tanned friend said now?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #47709 on: February 23, 2022, 06:11:15 am »

Called Putin smart and savvy, in a sort of 'damn I wish I had thought of that' way. He even said that the US should have done the same with the southern border.

Republicans are split on it, as many are old fashioned 'anti-commie' (meaning Russia/China), but the rest are taking in Tucker Carlson's pro-fascist rants.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47710 on: February 23, 2022, 06:22:28 am »

Not to mention that he blames Biden for the situation and compliments Putin on his response.

The US should expect that all military secrets a president has access to are in the hands of Putin.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 06:34:34 am by martinuzz »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47711 on: February 23, 2022, 07:36:48 am »

Noice.... what a crappy moment to be alive.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47712 on: February 23, 2022, 07:44:59 am »

The US should expect that all military secrets a president has access to are in the hands of Putin.
Come to think of it. Military experts expressed surprise when Russia announced it's succesful development of hypersonic nukes, saying they knew Russia was working on it, but they were far behind compared to the US.

I wouldn't be surprised if those Russian hypersonics are made with US technology handed to them by Trump.

You guys should arrest the moron and bring him to a CIA site for advanced interrogation.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47713 on: February 23, 2022, 08:55:11 am »

I'm not sure he'd be the only link in the chain. It's not like he could have asked to see the plans, memorise them then pass on the details verbally at his undocumented meeting with Putin in Helsinki.

Though there's always donjg it by sneakernet, or that mysterious tunnelling IP shown to be connected between Trump servers and Russian ones. I suppose the question is whether his authority was such that he could have been requesting the PDFs/whatever and given unrestricted access to copy them. Or somehow editing a vital .rhosts file or three.

But I don't expect Trump to be able to divulge an entire project's-worth of technical documention. Nor for that to be sufficient to get a stalled Russian project into a successful prototype in a couple of years, unless they were already much closer than we think.

I do think he was a blabbermouth and did say far too much in a bid to impress Uncle Vlad (possibly to boast, but in the process gave far too many clues about what the US did or did not know about things). I don't think he ever thought of himself as a traitor/agent/whatever. Others may have done, and proudly, in his turbulent wake.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47714 on: February 23, 2022, 01:14:40 pm »

So what's the rationale behind sanctions being used against obviously illogical leaders?  I mean I suppose the idea is you make life so hard for the general population that they force policy or regime change? Because I don't think you can actually cause hardship for people with the kind of wealth and power that the elite of sanctioned countries have.

I don't see how sanctions work if you're in a place where the leadership has enough following in the military to simply ignore or brush off any potential public pressure.

Am I just out of touch with reality?  (I often wonder lately... my state of mind is ... odd.)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.
Pages: 1 ... 3179 3180 [3181] 3182 3183 ... 3566