Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3178 3179 [3180] 3181 3182 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4192322 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #47685 on: February 21, 2022, 11:00:15 pm »

I sometimes wonder. Why do so many Russians put up with, or even believe Putin's lies?

Sometimes I think it is the legacy of Stalin killing just about every intellectual the country had. Their genetic basis for intelligence has been severely hampered.
Either this is a(n insensitive) joke or you are a Russophobic moron. I hope it's the former, just out of good faith.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 11:15:33 pm by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #47686 on: February 22, 2022, 01:30:51 am »

I do think that was a bad thing to say, but I also think that the poster is solid enough to regret having said such a thing when their anger has cooled.

Here is a link to what happened at the UN Security Council and some other live updates.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/2/22/un-meets-after-russia-sends-troops-to-eastern-ukraine-liveblog
Spoiler: Kenya (click to show/hide)
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47687 on: February 22, 2022, 01:42:08 am »

The thing is, it wouldn't even be pursuing ethnic homogeneity, because Ukrainians are a fully separate people, with their own language, alphabet, traditions, cuisine, and culture and have been for centuries! It is a renewed attempt at Russian imperialism though, that is true.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47688 on: February 22, 2022, 04:38:22 am »

I sometimes wonder. Why do so many Russians put up with, or even believe Putin's lies?

Sometimes I think it is the legacy of Stalin killing just about every intellectual the country had. Their genetic basis for intelligence has been severely hampered.
Either this is a(n insensitive) joke or you are a Russophobic moron. I hope it's the former, just out of good faith.
I am sorry you took offense to that, that was not my intention. It was a sneer to the old soviet ways that Putin wants so desperately to return to.
To be clear: I do not dislike Russians. I do dislike Putin, and I do doubt the intelligence of people that support him.

Quote from: Rolan7
Yeah the idea of genetic intelligence is a bit yikesy (and more importantly, scientifically discredited).
I am not aware of that (being scientifically discredited). There are many genetic factors attributing to intelligence, and many nurture factors that can develop or surpress that. Not every kid is born smart enough to make it to university, and sadly also, not every kid is born in a place where it will have the means to develop it's intelligence to it's full potential.

Dunno why the idea of genes playing role in intelligence would be yikesy though, except maybe for very conservative religious people. As far as I am aware it's just called science.
Sometimes it seems like people confuse 'genetics' with 'eugenetics'.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 04:58:37 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #47689 on: February 22, 2022, 05:03:16 am »

Same reason everyone in the West puts up with their lying, thieving leaders. Lack of alternative options

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #47690 on: February 22, 2022, 05:11:46 am »

I am sorry you took offense to that, that was not my intention. It was a sneer to the old soviet ways that Putin wants so desperately to return to.
To be clear: I do not dislike Russians. I do dislike Putin, and I do doubt the intelligence of people that support him.
Alright sorry. While, yes, I hate Stalin, he didn't kill enough smart people to have a statistically significant impact on average intelligence. As KT said, it's mostly propaganda. If/when Putin falls those people will probably stop supporting him.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 05:14:01 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47691 on: February 22, 2022, 06:39:23 am »

Ummmmm. That's fucking racist...

Boomers are often not in their right mind.
[/quote]
The first is true, the second is an equally blind statement too. Just pointing it out.

If my own experience with these kind of goverments serves of something, probably a lot of people don't believe or care about Putins bullshit because are too busy trying to survive to have such luxuries. Then there would be the relative small group of fanatics that would believe Putin is the second comming of Jesus if he told them that.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47692 on: February 22, 2022, 07:05:31 am »

Ummmm. I don't see how. 'Russian' is not a race.
Let me assure you that I did not intend that or see that as racist when I posted it. It was a sarcastical look at history.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47693 on: February 22, 2022, 07:24:12 am »

"Ethnic Russian" is a thing.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russians

See also, the cultural genocide fueled by preference for ethnic russians by the former soviet union, the holodomor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor

Let's just say, Ukraine has quite a good historically significant reason to not want to be part of Mother Russia.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #47694 on: February 22, 2022, 07:33:25 am »

Let me assure you that I did not intend that or see that as racist when I posted it. It was a sarcastical look at history.
"Russian" is about as much of a race as black is, mart. Maybe even more, really. If you think that sounds incoherent for some reason, well, congratulations, you've noticed the concept of race is wildly incoherent :P

There hasn't been a point in its existence the concept of genetic intelligence has been much of anything except a racist canard trotted out as an excuse for shitting on someone, though. The initial studies into it was grounded in that, the continued studies in it have been largely grounded in that, the popular uses of it are almost entirely grounded in it. Know you're stepping into a minefield of shit when you start trying to talk that particular subject.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47695 on: February 22, 2022, 07:48:06 am »

I was unaware of the controversy.
I don't see any problem though with science doing research into the biological basis of intelligence.

Contrary, if you believe that intelligence has solely to do with nurture, you are stepping into dangerous territory. That will free the path to blame people for being less intelligent. Like, "it is your own fault that you are a garbage collector instead of a university professor. You didn't develop your intelligence enough".

It is only when you start linking biological research into genetics and brains to race that it becomes the racist canard you mentioned.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47696 on: February 22, 2022, 07:52:18 am »

What else do you call it? Ethnism? It's still disparaging comments aimed at a group of people based on their origin. Anyways you didn't mean to offend but please don't make those jokes again.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47697 on: February 22, 2022, 08:26:48 am »

I'm sorry kittytac you might have to get used to it... If I teleported in pyjama to the balkans, sorted out that I'm lost and freezing,  and once I'm offered the inevitable glass of raki and inquire about ukraine, the guy tending me the glass won't have as heated opinions as what one gets to read these days.
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #47698 on: February 22, 2022, 09:19:47 am »

It is only when you start linking biological research into genetics and brains to race that it becomes the racist canard you mentioned.
Like, it starts well before that, because intelligence as a concept has had major problems regarding bias in relation to race for pretty much its entire existence as a formal area of study (and well before, for that matter). It's a damn messy subject at this point on a bunch of levels. Things are marginally better nowadays, in some ways, but it's still a rough subject to try to navigate.

Last I paid attention the good faith researchers in applicable fields are currently in the process of basically tearing the whole damn thing down so they can rebuild it as something actually worth a shit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47699 on: February 22, 2022, 09:24:10 am »

Dunno why the idea of genes playing role in intelligence would be yikesy though, except maybe for very conservative religious people. As far as I am aware it's just called science.
Sometimes it seems like people confuse 'genetics' with 'eugenetics'.
It's a key point for some (and a danger signal for others) that various discredited studies 'found' that people from the "global south", and/or "the hotter countries" (for a more direct bias, oh-so-coincidentally tied with shades of skin-colour) had lower IQ scores than white ameri-european ones.

I had a good friend who kept on insisting I look at the 'supporting' maps, etc. Had. I found counterarguments, but he was already off in his own little world. Willingly or unwillingly trapped in that what-would-later-be-Alt-Right misinformed echo chamber.

Not that this is what you said, even translated to a different so-called-race, but it had a similar look to it. Hence why the objections, I think.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 09:26:12 am by Starver »
Pages: 1 ... 3178 3179 [3180] 3181 3182 ... 3566