Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3177 3178 [3179] 3180 3181 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4194280 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #47670 on: February 21, 2022, 05:31:01 pm »

I do have to wonder if the actual soldiers believe the cause for which they're being ordered to move, and are like "heck yeah we are in the right here!" or if they are "well this is our orders and even though I don't know how true they are I'm going to trust the commanders and hope they're right" or "I don't care if it's right or wrong it gives me an excuse to get on a power trip."

Putin's claims seem so absurd from an outside perspective - but do they really seem absurd from within Russia?  I just have know way of knowing for sure how much my views are manipulated rather than accurate.  The other thing that I don't know is - how much of those are his claims versus the views of a significant portion of his population?  Does the average Russian citizen really think that NATO and the US are going to use Ukraine to stage military action against Russia?

I mean I don't think the average US person really has that strong a feeling about Russia.  Well, not until now - it really does feel like massive psychological manipulation on all sides.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #47671 on: February 21, 2022, 05:52:28 pm »

What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #47672 on: February 21, 2022, 05:55:09 pm »

Yeah, you have to be careful not to be swept along, when NATO/the US too are in it for the geo- and internal political gains. E.g. Biden could use a new war after Afghanistan and with new elections coming up for his party members. Maybe I am being a cynic, but I doubt many actually care about the people living in Ukraine :(

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #47673 on: February 21, 2022, 05:57:03 pm »

Well now would be a good time for my country to join NATO.

Neutrality won't protect us. Only Bigger Army Diplomacy can.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47674 on: February 21, 2022, 06:13:17 pm »

Yeah, you have to be careful not to be swept along, when NATO/the US too are in it for the geo- and internal political gains. E.g. Biden could use a new war after Afghanistan and with new elections coming up for his party members. Maybe I am being a cynic, but I doubt many actually care about the people living in Ukraine :(

This is beyond national geo- and internal political gains.
This is Putin (and other autocracies watching with interest) versus the free world. Or at least the world that the UN and many international treaties, to which the Soviet Union / Russia are also bound by agreement, tried to create after WW2, which is, the world where civilized nations respect each other's borders and don't go play landgrab at the cost of many innocent lives.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47675 on: February 21, 2022, 06:22:23 pm »

Our prime minister Rutte was called away to go to a security briefing about Russian troops moving into the seperatist areas during a live tv interview, where he had just said "ofcourse, this man is completely paranoid" about Putin. "he tries to paint the government of Ukraine as a dictatorship, while in reality it is a democratically elected government".
"Which is very different from the situation in Russia", he added cynically.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #47676 on: February 21, 2022, 06:34:38 pm »

This is beyond national geo- and internal political gains.
This is Putin (and other autocracies watching with interest) versus the free world. Or at least the world that the UN and many international treaties, to which the Soviet Union / Russia are also bound by agreement, tried to create after WW2, which is, the world where civilized nations respect each other's borders and don't go play landgrab at the cost of many innocent lives.

Fair enough. I do dislike blanket terms like ”the free world” but it is a problem for everyone if ”big state eats little state, army style” becomes common again.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47677 on: February 21, 2022, 06:57:04 pm »

I have to say, I barely recognize present day Putin compared to how he looked some years ago. His face is so.. swollen.
Perhaps he has a brain tumor and is using prednisolon or similar anti-edema medication?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #47678 on: February 21, 2022, 07:35:08 pm »

He's just getting older and fatter. That tends to happen and shitloads of Vodka just speeds up the process. Happens to the best (and worst) of us.

This has also played out so far how I imagined it would. The only question now is if they'll stop there or start shelling into Ukraine. Maybe, maybe not. They were patient enough to wait in Donetsk for a decade for their chance, maybe they'll just ship their mercenaries and Spetznaz across the new borders and start over again. By the time I'm 55 or 60, Ukraine will be in Russian hands again.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47679 on: February 21, 2022, 07:36:52 pm »

You know, I was thinking that, earlier this evening. Not sure when the last time I saw him 'live' and current (not in ice-hockey kit, and even that was a while ago... not being an avid Putin-watcher) or at least in a "today, here is where he went to wrestle some bears" news report, but he looked a bit more 'built up' about the face than his famously sharp and lean features of yesteryear. Or at least the internal characature I had of him.

I just put it down to more luxurious living and less of his prevous fitness-fanaticism, but now that you mention it, and I know I'm not just imaginging it, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that it's something of a (possibly normal age-related?) metabolic change and not just letting himself go a bit.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47680 on: February 21, 2022, 07:57:09 pm »

Con paciencia y saliva, el elefante se lo mete a la hormigita.

Roughly traslated to, with patience and saliva, the elephant penetrates the little ant.

It seem suversive, seemingly passive actions over generations is how madness is taking over the world.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47681 on: February 21, 2022, 09:55:03 pm »

Whoever shoots Putin is a hero. Can we have a fucking coup already? https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/02/21/russia-ukraine-kill-list-lgbt/
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47682 on: February 21, 2022, 09:55:58 pm »

I sometimes wonder. Why do so many Russians put up with, or even believe Putin's lies?

Sometimes I think it is the legacy of Stalin killing just about every intellectual the country had. Their genetic basis for intelligence has been severely hampered.
Ummmmm. That's fucking racist. Seriously man? They've been brainwashed. And honestly a huge minority, if not a majority, of Russians hate the government at this point. Nobody in their right mind thinks Ukraine is a staging ground for a NATO invasion. Boomers are often not in their right mind.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 10:01:09 pm by KittyTac »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47683 on: February 21, 2022, 10:11:22 pm »

Yeah the idea of genetic intelligence is a bit yikesy (and more importantly, scientifically discredited).

I don't know exactly what to make of these current events.  I'll say this though: While we in the USA have our own embarrassing propaganda machine serving our government's interests, I will agree that Putin losing power would be extremely beneficial to the Russian people and probably the world.  Not the sort of thing I say lightly.  He's also a monster of a person, a KGB operative who is human but only in the most technical sense.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 10:13:41 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47684 on: February 21, 2022, 10:16:48 pm »

Please, our liberals are incompetent but at least they're not going to drive the country off a fucking cliff by getting into a war with NATO.
Pages: 1 ... 3177 3178 [3179] 3180 3181 ... 3566