Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3174 3175 [3176] 3177 3178 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4195485 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #47625 on: February 19, 2022, 12:12:40 pm »

Never thought I'd say these words, but it is far worse than Trump's Whitehouse.
A scary number of Russians actually believe that the West is the new Hitler that is genociding ethnic Russians in Ukraine.
Or at least they believe that we are the agressor, and poor Russia is the innocent victim.

Do they really believe that? I don't think Russian internet control is anywhere near China's so Russians have been able to see a lot of the world stage through it. Putin is clearly a fascist so it's likely just people who don't want to get put on a list or who want the fascism and are playing along with the excuse.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47626 on: February 19, 2022, 01:47:36 pm »

Do Trump voters really believe Trump? And they even have uncensored internets.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47627 on: February 19, 2022, 02:31:03 pm »

Depends upon which echo-chambers they(/we) stick to. By a 'choice' that becomes self-reinforcing to the extent that there is no longer any actual choice... Like either a quicksand or having the (perceived) high-ground that there seems no good reason to step away from. (Because of the warnings of quicksand!)

Consider the Mainstream Media that the Trumpites typically disregard, perhaps vs. the (local version of) MM that might be practically unavoidable to be marinated in, for all but the most critical of anti-Putinites.

Is there even a "КУanon" for Russia? Either pro- or anti-President? I think it's probably much more locked down (firmly cemented in place or suppressed, respectively) than the US's version.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47628 on: February 19, 2022, 05:20:07 pm »

Basically what is the alt right media over here, is the main stream state media in Russia.
Most independent media have been made illegal by now, by virtue of a 'sponsored by foreign agents' designation.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47629 on: February 19, 2022, 07:38:04 pm »

The residents of San Francisco have voted to recall 3 prominent members of the school board of the SF Unified School District in a landslide 70-80% on the three votes; it made front-page news on the NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/17/us/san-francisco-school-board-parents.html . This was after one school board member called Asians "house n-----s", they completely ignored protocol to switch the merit-based admissions system of Lowell High School (which has about a 70% Asian student body) to a lottery system blatantly expressing a desire to reduce the number of Asians attending, instead of working to reopen schools they made a whole asinine campaign to rename all the schools, they switched school start times unexpectedly, and so on. When the news came out everyone I saw was cheering. Buh-bye fuckfaces.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47630 on: February 19, 2022, 08:52:36 pm »

Boris Johnson said that evidence suggests that Russia is planning the biggest war since 1945.

By now, the number of Russian troops surrounding Ukraine has grown to 190 thousand.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-60448162

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #47631 on: February 19, 2022, 11:42:00 pm »

I dearly hope nothing happens and this is just a scare, but that probably isn't the case. But Putin is a suicidal idiot if he goes forward.

Depends upon which echo-chambers they(/we) stick to. By a 'choice' that becomes self-reinforcing to the extent that there is no longer any actual choice... Like either a quicksand or having the (perceived) high-ground that there seems no good reason to step away from. (Because of the warnings of quicksand!)

Consider the Mainstream Media that the Trumpites typically disregard, perhaps vs. the (local version of) MM that might be practically unavoidable to be marinated in, for all but the most critical of anti-Putinites.

Is there even a "КУanon" for Russia? Either pro- or anti-President? I think it's probably much more locked down (firmly cemented in place or suppressed, respectively) than the US's version.
Honestly, most Russians do not trust the government anymore. There's no major "centralized" QAnon-like organization, just stupid and confused vatniks.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 11:45:46 pm by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47632 on: February 19, 2022, 11:49:03 pm »

I can't find an actually reliable source on this, but the UK's scandal-rag The Sun is claiming that Russian artillery capable of firing nuclear weapons have been moved to the Ukranian border. Seeing as Russia could probably use missiles anyway, don't know how relevant this is, but not a good sign.

Anyway, TIL nuclear artillery exists...
One wheel short of a wagon

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47633 on: February 20, 2022, 12:38:16 am »

I'm hoping that bit is misinformation, because when you go past "willing to nuke a country you border" territory and into "willing to nuke a country you actively want to annex" that'd be basically confirmation that there is no sanity left in the entire kremlin.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47634 on: February 20, 2022, 04:11:56 am »

Yeah seems fake.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47635 on: February 20, 2022, 04:57:12 am »

I'm hoping that bit is misinformation, because when you go past "willing to nuke a country you border" territory and into "willing to nuke a country you actively want to annex" that'd be basically confirmation that there is no sanity left in the entire kremlin.

You can have artillery capable of shooting nuclear shells, and just not use the nuclear shells. It's just The Sun trying to clickbait gullible people.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47636 on: February 20, 2022, 05:39:54 am »

It's totally a thing, and was a thing in the 50's, we even fired one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Zozvmxat0

It's exactly as crazy as it sounds btw.

Maintaining line of sight on ordinance like that just seems like a really bad idea.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47637 on: February 20, 2022, 07:18:56 am »

This is madness.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47638 on: February 20, 2022, 07:33:11 am »

It's totally a thing, and was a thing in the 50's, we even fired one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Zozvmxat0

It's exactly as crazy as it sounds btw.

Maintaining line of sight on ordinance like that just seems like a really bad idea.
Yeah but we don't have those in Russia. They were dismantled in 1993. The Sun = British REN TV.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #47639 on: February 20, 2022, 07:41:50 am »

Maybe they made a reference to those depleted uranium shells that are used by a lot of tanks and probably lot of artillery ammo too.
mention of uranium = nuclear for a tabloid

Though even depleted, it's no good for the people that will still live around when the warmongers will have left.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depleted_uranium#Health_considerations
Pages: 1 ... 3174 3175 [3176] 3177 3178 ... 3566