Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3142 3143 [3144] 3145 3146 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4204039 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #47145 on: December 04, 2021, 05:40:51 am »

The school shooter's parents have been arrested in Detroit, after they fled and tried to go into hiding when they heard there were charges filed against them.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 07:47:35 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47146 on: December 04, 2021, 08:58:18 am »

Stellar... on top of voting licences now I also back up parenting licences. Im becoming a monster thanks to people.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47147 on: December 04, 2021, 09:36:36 am »

Which while the article is about russia, if anything starts up...its almost certainly that if russia invades ukraine, china will invade taiwan at the same time. I don't think they are the best of friends, but an enemy of an enemy and all...and they do military practices together. I wouldn't even call china/russia a pseudo-alliance tbh, just a common cause I guess they both have. Either way, it be a rather strategic move for them both to move on their target at the same time.
Yeah, rough agreements of common cause, followed by roughly concurrent invasions, as happened with WWI and WWII, and earlier wars when "the world" was less than the entire biosphere.

Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47148 on: December 04, 2021, 09:44:20 am »

Dont think it will be threated as a world war, but separared conflicts.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #47149 on: December 04, 2021, 10:07:27 am »

A lot of wars (smaller domestic wars between nations or inside nations and larger wars) start because of bad economic times.

This is actually the only reason I think China will continue to abstain from active wars/invasion. The economy here is doing well, with a consistent improvement of living standards across the board (for people who are citizens, at least). If it weren't for their absolute ceaseless desire to measure dicks, war wouldn't even be on the table, as the average person holds no hatred (or really, any opinion at all) on other countries, and the government still has some fear of The People left in them.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47150 on: December 04, 2021, 10:24:05 am »

it can't be a world war, nobody's invaded Poland yet
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47151 on: December 04, 2021, 11:41:14 am »

A lot of wars (smaller domestic wars between nations or inside nations and larger wars) start because of bad economic times.

This is actually the only reason I think China will continue to abstain from active wars/invasion. The economy here is doing well, with a consistent improvement of living standards across the board (for people who are citizens, at least). If it weren't for their absolute ceaseless desire to measure dicks, war wouldn't even be on the table, as the average person holds no hatred (or really, any opinion at all) on other countries, and the government still has some fear of The People left in them.

Possibly, though China's economy is extremely terrible and falling apart, could give THEM the reason. The US economy is doing good especially post-pandemic, but china/russia not so much. But I still hope no wars happen, and if any do its localized instead of global.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #47152 on: December 04, 2021, 12:41:50 pm »

Possibly, though China's economy is extremely terrible and falling apart, could give THEM the reason. The US economy is doing good especially post-pandemic, but china/russia not so much. But I still hope no wars happen, and if any do its localized instead of global.

"Over here" is China for delphonso.

Though in part I wonder if any states is doing better now "post"-pandemic than pre-pandemic, I thought "doing well" was measured relatively to other states/hypothetical outcomes these days? If the economy (as vague as a concept that is) really is doing better "post-" anywhere, I will be amazed.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #47153 on: December 04, 2021, 01:07:24 pm »

Certain indicators are up relative to the start of the plague, stateside, yes. "Better" is a lot harder to say, there's a lot of really unusual shit going on right now. Inflation starting to stop being artificially and unhealthily low, workers agitating or walking off/refusing jobs, weird things going on with supply transportation and whatnot, major conflict staring down the barrel related to eviction and housing... it's kinda' hard to tell what the fuck's going on, and several groups are actively trying to distort perceptions of things (chucking around massive lies about available supplies and costs, gaslighting folks about recent price changes, etc.).

So, like. You can talk to two people in the same area and largely same economic situation and get wildly different opinions on if the economy's doing better or not, and the metrics used to measure them are currently wonky as hell relative to before the plague.

e: Like, just yesterday I was overhearing folks talking about the price of lettuce, reporting like 4 buck heads. I went and checked a place doing curbside and the price there was literally less than half what they were saying, with shops less than a hour distant from each other and largely serving the same demographics. In my experience it's up a little from a while ago, but not hugely. From their view the price has like friggin' doubled over the last couple years. These are people, same area, basically same financial situation, wildly different perceptions of the costs of even a single sort of produce.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 01:14:38 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #47154 on: December 04, 2021, 03:05:38 pm »

it can't be a world war, nobody's invaded Poland yet
That's WWIV.

WWIII is going to be caused by some stupid shit in the Balkans.

And Ukraine is Balkan-lite, with pan-Russian nationalists fucking around with it.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #47155 on: December 04, 2021, 03:24:29 pm »

Both China and Russia are showing strong signs of preparing for the fabled Short Victorious War, to help counter internal unrest. The primary difference between the two at the moment is that domestic trouble in Russia is already a reality,  while in China it is only going to happen if something goes wrong with much-needed economic restructuring.

That makes it very unlikely that we will see both crises happen at once. China isn't likely to risk all-out war with a nuclear-peer (Biden has been quite open about having commitments regarding Taiwan) unless it seems very likely. And they won't be at that point until later if ever.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47156 on: December 04, 2021, 03:30:35 pm »

I found this NY Times article on the arguments about the recent Mississippi abortion law interesting.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47157 on: December 04, 2021, 06:19:01 pm »

Care to paste or summarize for those of us behind paywalls?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47158 on: December 04, 2021, 06:32:08 pm »

I'm also behind a paywall, I just press "stop" while it's loading to read it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #47159 on: December 04, 2021, 06:40:09 pm »

Archive is your friend.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 3142 3143 [3144] 3145 3146 ... 3566