Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3121 3122 [3123] 3124 3125 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4202734 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #46830 on: November 14, 2021, 06:17:52 pm »

Anyone who intends to shoot has a responsibility to be trained in its use but its mere presence does not necessarily lead to more violence.

I haven't reviewed the evidence in a bit, but I'm quite certain on a statistical level this isn't correct - the presence of guns in any altercation escalate the violence (true of any weapons, but guns also increase the range at which that violence can escalate). Not trying to rev up the gun debate again, but I think it bares mentioning that the idea of "guns as prevention of violence" isn't supported by much evidence.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46831 on: November 14, 2021, 06:50:55 pm »

Personally I would suspect that whether open carry will escalate or de-escalate any given situation will likely be a variable situation, depending on the mindset of whatever people are present and what their intentions are.

Basically you might have people looking to start something who would be deterred by obvious signs that a would-be target would not be worth the risk, while in other situations displaying a firearm will escalate tensions, or worse paint a giant "shoot me first the instant I look away" sign on the person carrying it.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46832 on: November 14, 2021, 07:28:06 pm »

The point being, statistically, it will escalate things more often than de-escalate. A net loss, overall.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46833 on: November 14, 2021, 07:34:34 pm »

The point being, statistically, it will escalate things more often than de-escalate. A net loss, overall.
I don't dispute this.  But isn't it still a good thing if it reduces overall crime, in aggregate?  (Against minorities, in this case)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46834 on: November 14, 2021, 07:46:45 pm »

/remembers the fuss about the Black Panthers...

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46835 on: November 14, 2021, 07:52:40 pm »

I don't dispute this.  But isn't it still a good thing if it reduces overall crime, in aggregate?  (Against minorities, in this case)

Sure, if there's evidence of that. I suppose a risk-benefit analysis is necessary to say an increase in violent confrontations is enough for a decrease in property damage/theft. I'll have to do some browsing for any studies that look at this. Personally I would set the bar quite high, as I don't value property much (though I'll admit it's been a near decade since I was last mugged and don't own any property of my own).

I think Starver is alluding to something we all wouldn't be surprised to hear: if minorities can lower crime in their area by use of displaying firearms, I would expect police violence to close the gap and remove any 'advantage.'

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46836 on: November 14, 2021, 07:59:20 pm »

I mean, if you were worried about property theft in the US, you'd abolish/fetter the police and string up the CEOs -- far as I'm aware, police take more value from people than every other type of theft combined... if you don't count wage theft, which eclipses all the rest of it pretty comfortably. So, y'know. If you want to prioritize things appropriately... ;)
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
« Reply #46837 on: November 14, 2021, 09:33:02 pm »

I mean, if you were worried about property theft in the US, you'd abolish/fetter the police and string up the CEOs

Spoiler: Uncle Karl approves. (click to show/hide)
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #46838 on: November 15, 2021, 12:29:15 pm »

Kenosha trial update:

Gun charge has been dismissed, and YT has suspended the stream I was watching.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46839 on: November 15, 2021, 12:33:02 pm »

Justice is dead
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46840 on: November 15, 2021, 02:32:43 pm »

Justice is dead
Another casualty??? Jesus how many people did that kid shoot?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46841 on: November 15, 2021, 03:11:45 pm »

He didn't shoot her he raped her to death
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46842 on: November 15, 2021, 06:05:55 pm »

To be fair he is just the defendant. The whole court has the fault here.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46843 on: November 16, 2021, 05:07:29 am »

For those of us who have been enjoying "Bodily Autonomy: Abortion Edition" I present for your reading pleasure "Bodily Autonomy: Hysterectomy Edition." Enjoy!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #46844 on: November 16, 2021, 10:36:06 am »

Kenosha trial update:

A jury of 12 has been randomly selected from the pool of 18 and is deliberating, and the judge sounds different today. Possibly sick.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 3121 3122 [3123] 3124 3125 ... 3566