Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3118 3119 [3120] 3121 3122 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4202536 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #46785 on: November 10, 2021, 06:43:57 pm »

I listened to about 20 minutes of his examination of Rittenhouse on the stand.

He doesn't sound incompetent. He doesn't look incompetent. And while the judge apparently has a record of "believing in the right to a solid defense trial" and "not liking being bossed around in his own court room", the way he interjected just in the 20 minutes I watched made it seem like he's crawling up the prosecutor's ass given very little pretext. You know the TV portrayal of judges giving the defense attorney a harder time of it than the prosecution? This seems like the opposite.

Then again I read what he said to the judge about evidence he didn't present at discovery (because it was new) or discuss with the judge before attempting to insert it. I was like "Uh, a murder trial the whole country is watching and you "just didn't think to bring it up before that session?"" Either he's trying to slip it in there, or he actually is incompetent, or both. But I guess its both teams' job to push the limits of the judge's lenience.

But yeah. When the judge tells you that you can't call a murdered person a victim but can call them a looter instead.....you basically have to assume you're dealing with a hostile judiciary.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 06:50:14 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46786 on: November 10, 2021, 07:04:26 pm »

[Arbitrary cut for 'context'...] Imagine how much data was lost in that procedure, [...]
But in Blade Runner (the original, any one of the fifteen different executive cuts!) they can get a standard photo and see round corners with enough voice-controlled zooming and panning...

(Then there's the RL tale of the photo-retouchers/preservers who were given a photo of a recently deceased uncle/whoever out fishing on his boat in the middle of a lake. The client wanted them to flip it so he was facing the camera instead of away...)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #46787 on: November 10, 2021, 07:26:27 pm »

But in Blade Runner (the original, any one of the fifteen different executive cuts!) they can get a standard photo and see round corners with enough voice-controlled zooming and panning...

(Then there's the RL tale of the photo-retouchers/preservers who were given a photo of a recently deceased uncle/whoever out fishing on his boat in the middle of a lake. The client wanted them to flip it so he was facing the camera instead of away...)

Meandering off topic, it's interesting to see how people who haven't grown up around a lot of tech don't have the same intuitions as (I assume) most of us on this forum.
My wife, for example, spent hours looking for an app that could photoshop hands out of a video - she always assumed that's how stop-motion videos were made, rather than individual photos taken then lined up into video.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46788 on: November 10, 2021, 07:38:42 pm »

Which is, uh. Odd? Pretty sure I was aware of how stop motion (and claymation) was done when I was a preteen, so it wasn't really a "grow up around" thing. Flip books the movie, was pretty straightforward.

... i mean, lots of photos in sequence was just how movies used to be done at all, nevermind the stop motion stuff? This doesn't feel like a tech saturation thing so much as basic awareness of recording technology, or maybe (not?) having been old enough to actually see a film wheel or somethin'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #46789 on: November 10, 2021, 07:45:46 pm »

Literal absence in her case - growing up in China in the 90's did have much by way of tech. Recording tech especially was outdated (I guess because most of it came from Japan). My wife's childhood photos look like they're from the 50's - but that was just the best cameras around at the time.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46790 on: November 10, 2021, 07:48:18 pm »

I guess? Just feels like that would make it easier to understand than harder... the older stuff was pretty close to just all stop motion, all the time, y'know?
Ask not!
Ask!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46791 on: November 10, 2021, 07:54:20 pm »

Third worlder here, learned how stop motion worked around 7 o 8 thanks to a discovery channel documentary... way back when they actually has documentaries instead of naked jerks on the jungle or fat guys shouting over bikes.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
« Reply #46792 on: November 10, 2021, 10:31:59 pm »

But yeah. When the judge tells you that you can't call a murdered person a victim but can call them a looter instead.....you basically have to assume you're dealing with a hostile judiciary.

That touches on something that's always annoyed me: The way the right keeps lumping together looters and protestors. I'd be willing to bet that most looters don't even give a damn who's protesting what; they just using the crowds as cover, swiping shit while the cops are busy doing crowd control. And then you've got people like the umbrella man, who I believe turned out to have ties to white nationalist groups, and was there acting as an agent provocateur. But Fox News, et al. would rather talk about how Democrats have turned cities across the country into lawless hellscapes full of illegal immigrants, and the city of Portland is being burned to the ground every night by BLM and antifa! Up next: Could THEY be putting COMMUNISM in your water supply? The answer might surprise you.
In this house, we obey Betteridge's law.
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46793 on: November 10, 2021, 10:47:20 pm »

Wouldn't calling the victims "looters" be, in essence, convicting the deceased of a crime they were never tried for?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46794 on: November 10, 2021, 11:11:04 pm »

Yup.
Ask not!
Ask!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46795 on: November 11, 2021, 01:34:46 am »

My wife, for example, spent hours looking for an app that could photoshop hands out of a video - she always assumed that's how stop-motion videos were made, rather than individual photos taken then lined up into video.
There's always morphsuit[1]/zentai puppetry, probably with chromakey (with the right app) or blacklight (with the right 'stage' setup).

[1] Or Morphsuit™, but it's well on the escalator towards being hoovered up as a generic tradename, and I don't think there's a legal band-aid that'll stop that.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46796 on: November 11, 2021, 03:02:35 am »

and the city of Portland is being burned to the ground every night

Recently had a guy tell me that BLM was burning cities down. I asked him to show me a burnt down city and he immediately shut up and walked away. It's so fucking bizarre.

Wouldn't calling the victims "looters" be, in essence, convicting the deceased of a crime they were never tried for?
That's a really good point.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46797 on: November 11, 2021, 11:19:06 am »

I brought this up about a week before the trial started. Plenty of people have noted how fucked up those jury instructions are, but it didn't seem to matter in the courtroom. I wonder what the procedure is when a judge hands out jury instructions that are divorced from due process. Like, who calls that shit out? Who has the power to say "those jury instructions are illegal." Or do we literally have to wait for this trial to be over and appeal it on the grounds the judge was biased?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 11:22:34 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46798 on: November 11, 2021, 11:23:47 am »

That touches on something that's always annoyed me: The way the right keeps lumping together looters and protestors. I'd be willing to bet that most looters don't even give a damn who's protesting what; they just using the crowds as cover, swiping shit while the cops are busy doing crowd control.

The right? We have people here on the forums, supposedly "left", excusing looting as if it was a valid form of protesting.

Personally, I think the same as you. It's far more likely looters are just people who want to take advantage of the situation to steal things than protestors. Shit, knowing the kind of people white nationalists tend to be they're exactly the kind of low-lives I would envision as jumping to any chance break and steal at the slightest opportunity, even if they weren't organised provocateurs.

How would it be a conviction? It's slander, definitely, and a judgement, sure, and completely unethical and a clear show of bias from the judge, that's undeniable. Or am I laying too much into the word conviction here?
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46799 on: November 11, 2021, 12:09:43 pm »

It is of bad taste because they are the victims of the accused. Now obviously they were not innocent pedestrians strolling and caught up on a bad moment and place. That being said, protesters, or armed protesters is more accurate and left the space of armed for self-protection protesters wiggle in there.

Assailants is the best I could think being the case determination of self defense or not.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 01:04:38 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 3118 3119 [3120] 3121 3122 ... 3566