Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3097 3098 [3099] 3100 3101 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4202563 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #46470 on: October 07, 2021, 12:02:51 pm »

Lynching, in Swedish, would refer to any unlawful murder under the justification of "justice", "vengeance", "retribution" (or similar) by a group or mob.

There's no meaningful difference to be made between wanting to murder people by beheading or hanging.
Love, scriver~

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46471 on: October 07, 2021, 12:09:13 pm »

Lynching, in Swedish, would refer to any unlawful murder under the justification of "justice", "vengeance", "retribution" (or similar) by a group or mob.

There's no meaningful difference to be made between wanting to murder people by beheading or hanging.

In American parlance a lynching generally refers to a mob hanging someone, strongly associated with inter-racial and inter-religious violence due to the KKK and other segregationist/supremacist groups.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46472 on: October 07, 2021, 12:10:51 pm »

Yeah, if you're talking the US, when you say lynch as anything even remotely non-metaphorical, you're talking about hanging specifically, usually over the nearest convenient tree branch -- which has a history in this country extremely divorced from use of guillotines.

If it's ever used as a generic mob execution term stateside, it's vanishingly rare or only in very specific uses that are very outside normal discussion -- like I said, this discussion is literally the first time I've seen it used like that. The metaphorical use is a bit looser, but that's not particularly applicable if you're talking about literal means of execution.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46473 on: October 07, 2021, 12:17:26 pm »

Fine, if the semantics of it matter so much to you, just change the wording to "mob murder" and the point stands ::)
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46474 on: October 07, 2021, 03:24:22 pm »

In Venezuela means a mob of people beating the living crap of someone (or several) suspected to be or confirmed a criminals, sometimes till death, or until people get tired of beating them or the police can disperse the crow. A common occurrence for this is for suspected or confirmed child abusers (which 99% of the time end up raped and death, sometimes raped to death once in jail) or careless unarmed or disarmed robbers and muggers caught red handed by a large enough amount of people.

I strongly feels this is one of those things most spanish speaking countries would agree. Also I feels most of the world too.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 03:29:40 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46475 on: October 07, 2021, 06:09:03 pm »

Over here, lynching means 'a mob putting someone to death that has been accused of a crime, without lawful trial'.
Doesn't matter if that death occurs by hanging, burning at the stake, disemboweling, or tickling to death with a goose feather, it's all called lynching.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #46476 on: October 07, 2021, 06:22:24 pm »

Even without the racial aspect, Judge Lynch has always been a hanging judge in the US. The word does mean extrajudicial killings regardless of method, but most people think of a rope because that is what it has always meant here.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46477 on: October 07, 2021, 06:43:28 pm »

A UK perspective (and subjective to my experience, not a representative average): To be lynched/there's going to be a lynching/etc is pretty much always entirely figurative anyway, in which case it represents general high-level and vocal discontent. Because (whatever our thoughts about the 'French', etc, at times) from the comparatively later point in 19th, at which the practice was named, we weren't really importers of this 'active' part of US culture. And certainly not the degree of 'God-given segregation', much beyond other class-based stratification (which is enough, for those that need it).

So it's typically hyperbole, used in local affairs, even a knowing exageration. Even a so-called 'lynch mob' might be more bent upon extrajudiciary corporal punishment ("group enterprise" involving ABH/GBH) than capital punishment. Or blind to the possibility of the former resulting in the latter. The tying of a noose just generally isn't a(n unironic) thing, left for gothic decoration (or decoratively represented in goths' jewellery). Especially if you outright discount Albert Pierrepoint, in his era (I'm sure there are truer exceptions to be recalled, but probably each strictly an exception.)

Intent-to-murder usually involves other things. Black-on-Black violence in 'urban gang' context (or Anyone-on-Anyone, being far more equal opportunity in our underclasses) seems to be more prone to the use of the knife (with a troublesome undercurrent of the occasional gun), and even the most extreme (and often prosecuted) Blue-on-Black tends to be limited to over-tazering due to the lower need/propensity for barreled response. Any actual White-on-Black conflict is more towards passive-aggressiveness (unless there are actual Bovver Boys, whose favoured weapon was always their Bovver Boots anyway) when it wasn't already included in the gang situation given above. (YMMV.)

Which probably means we also don't appreciate the actual Strange Fruit cultivation/harvest enough, when the original is what is being refered to. Just as I probably underestimate the experience of an Anglo-African in Little England (or Highlands, Valleys, etc), I know I probably cannot appreciate the whole 'wrong side of the tracks'/Harlemisation thing in response to the Good Ol' Boys network reinforcing of all kinds of miscegenation and discouraging all ideas of integration by setting 'examples'.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46478 on: October 07, 2021, 09:35:22 pm »

Ahhh death by mob... so different for all of us, yet it unite us.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46479 on: October 08, 2021, 03:18:50 am »

A US nuclear submarine, the USS Connecticut has been damaged and 10 crew were injured, when it collided with an unknown object in the South-Chinese Sea.
None of the injuries are life-threatening.
The navy is still checking out the damages, but they say the sub is still seaworthy, and the nuclear propulsion has not been damaged.

Looks like China saying 'bump, we can see you'.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46480 on: October 08, 2021, 07:29:02 am »

Ahhh death by mob... so different for all of us, yet it unite us.
Well, it unites most of us, except for that one guy we're all sick of.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46481 on: October 08, 2021, 08:11:55 am »

Looks like China saying 'bump, we can see you'.
By throwing a brick to it?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46482 on: October 08, 2021, 08:16:40 am »

More likely a dud torperdo or dud naval mine. The collision took place under water even, the sub wasn't on the surface.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46483 on: October 08, 2021, 08:28:57 am »

It was a joke.... a brick joke...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46484 on: October 08, 2021, 08:33:29 am »

Meanwhile, while tensions in the area have already been rising with unprecedented numbers of Chinese bombers and fighter jets breaching Taiwanese airspace for over a week now, anonimous sources within the US government now confirm that US commandos and marines have been operating in Taiwan for at least a year, to train the Taiwanese army, further increasing tensions between the US and China.

It is likely that this confirmation, even though not through official channels, is meant as a warning to China to back down from Taiwan.
The Pentagon does not deny the allegations.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/militairen-vs-zouden-in-diepste-geheim-taiwanees-leger-trainen-pentagon-ontkent-niet~be006508/

https://www.usnews.com/news/world-report/articles/2021-10-07/china-levies-new-threats-at-reports-of-us-commandos-in-taiwan

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-troops-have-been-deployed-in-taiwan-for-at-least-a-year-11633614043

I hope no WW3 soon :(
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 08:40:35 am by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 3097 3098 [3099] 3100 3101 ... 3566